Bad charger/solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mp funfinder

Hi all. I?m a newbie to the forum thing, but have been camping with my family with my family in a 2011 CruiserRv 210 FunfinderX. We love it and my wife actually just completed a bunch of interior cosmetic updates.

My question/ situation is as follows, two years ago I purchased a Concorde Lifeline Agm Group 31 battery to replace the joke of a battery that came with the camper. My goal/ budget was to have enough power to run the refrigerator, pump and few lights for two/ three days. Roughly the same time I installed a Trimetric battery monitor to keep track of usage etc. Swapped out regular bulbs for leds etc.

Last two years this setup has worked fine.We have taken care not to over stress the battery as far as not using beyond 40-50 %.

First trip we have taken this year and I noticed that the monitor won?t display % of battery left. I understand now that it won?t display unless it ?sees? a full charge before it will calculate the % left. Before you ask, I always pull the battery in the off season and place it in a heated space on a trickle charger. I hate the fact that the factory charger does next to nothing Amp wise if it sees 12.6 or more in voltage.

1. Is the charger that came with camper junk/toast?
2. Should I bite the bullet and upgrade to a Iona charger or similar?
3. Is there a flaw in my set-up?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Well, before doing anything get the specs of your current cpnverter, look them up. Next using a volt meter check the converter output.  Disconnect the battery negative cable, connect volt meter across the plus and negative cables and see what its reading.

Your Trimetric does a fine job of displaying the battery voltage as well as the amps going in or out.

Also you should be able to reset the battery full/percentage of full by pressing and holding the reset button for a few seconds.  A display will come up and you can reset all the stored numbers.  You will need to check the owner/install manual for details.  That should get you back to seeing a percentage full reading. 

Some questions and suggestions:
First disconnect from shore power and/or have generator off
On the Trimetric:
--  What does AMP reading show?  If it is less than -1 to -3 amps great.  If not find and turn off the loads until you get down to around -1 amp or less draw.
--  What is the voltage reading.  If it is 12.6 or higher then the battery should be fully charged.  If you have been charging for a while the the battery should show 13.0 or higher.  After an hour or two off of shore power it should drop back to around 12.6. 

About your charger.  I would expect your charger be putting out about 13.4V when the battery is full.  This is the charger in float mode.  If your Trimetric never shows anything higher than 12.6 when the charger is charging, either you have a bad charger, or one that is not designed for use in an RV. 

BTW, your charger should be putting out "next to no amps" if the battery voltage is 12.6.  The battery if full and you don't want to over charge it.

AND, congratulations for installing the Trimetic.  That is the very best thing you can have to know what the state of your battery is at all times. 

Back
Top Bottom