Bad Day but Betty is OK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty,
So sorry about the accident. So glad you are still in one piece, although bent, dented and bruised. Take it easy for awhile and you will be back as good as new.

We are rolling with sporadic wifi service but Margi keeps me up on you as well as other framily members.

Take care friend,
Helaine

Thank you Wally and Helaine for the well wishes.  The bruises are turning the rainbow shades of color and I am off the BIG drugs for now.  Every day something else aches however.  We will go this afternoon to the Progressive Office in Tampa to pick up the check for the Total Loss of our Vehicle.  Frank and Barb are letting us use their truck for this trip.

Of course there was no value added for our braking system, for the 3m covering on front, for the 2 month old brand new tires.  They did give us value for the tow plate and for the sales tax we paid. We took a hit with our high mileage of 100,000 miles on the Envoy we liked so well.  The process is clearly spelled out with Progressive.  Within a day of the accident we had a claim number and could go online to see the status of the  steps in the process.  We feel we got a fair deal.  The only frustrating thing was getting return calls from our rep.  Why is it they get  vacation days during the time I need them?  And it was a day I was on Vicodin and Ativan and in la la land. (I'll never understand why folks do drugs)  But other reps were there to help out immediately.  The cost to buy a "new"  car will be  way more than we get  but what are ya going to do??????

As I heal up I realize just how lucky I was not to have been more seriously injured.  It is only a car and a pot load of things to do to get  another vehicle set up to tow, but we will recover.  I fear however that Florida is not going to be one of my favorite memories on this journey.  (But we have not yet visited Pat and Jim so things may pick up yet)

Betty

Hi Betty, Carol and I too wish you the best of recovery, asap...

Since I have only been in one car accident in my life, quite different than yours, I know the process of healing.

I, and probably others as well, are curious about the injuries that happen in a smash like yours. What parts of the body are most affected? Luckily you did not have any broken bones, that would have been serious.

Did the air bag go off? Maybe you can enlighten us a bit on the sequence of events.

Don't want to intrude on your privacy; maybe we can all learn a bit. This stuff is not published very much.

Much appreciated,  carson FL 80.8F

Betty Brewer said:
....The cost to buy a "new"  car will be  way more than we get  but what are ya going to do?????? .....

Betty

Check with your accountant. I think a loss like that can be a deduction on your income tax.  ???

Betty,

That was a good question from Carson.  What airbags did you have and which one(s) went off?  With our last two car purchases our number one priority was its safety features.  We've got airbags all over the place, so I'm curious to know what the Envoy had and how well they worked.  After you've been in one accident you want all the protection you can get!  ;)

Our nephew was once driving a rental car and the darned steering wheel airbag went off for no reason.  Scared the life out of him and bruised his forearm.  He said it was really loud.  Needless to say they gave him another car.

ArdraF

Hi Betty,

>>(But we have not yet visited Pat and Jim so things may pick up yet) <<

We promise to try to make the next leg of your Florida visit much nicer than the present. :)

carson said:
   I, and probably others as well, are curious about the injuries that happen in a smash like yours. What parts of the body are most affected? Luckily you did not have any broken bones, that would have been serious.   Did the air bag go off? Maybe you can enlighten us a bit on the sequence of events.Don't want to intrude on your privacy; maybe we can all learn a bit. This stuff is not published very much.

Carson,

A much appreciated thank you to you and Carol for your concern.  Isn't this RVForum thing neat that folks we've not yet met  send good vibes our way?

As to the details of the incident, it may be cathartic for me to share them.  I have been somewhat traumatized with the  memories and hope to be able to drive again without the jumpiness I now feel.

We were having my new washer and dryer installed at Creative Coach in  Lakeland, Florida. A good thing!  One afternoon I decided I needed  a few groceries at Wal Mart and new undies at Sears (you asked for details)  I  ventured out on my own using our Garmin  GPS to navigate me to the destinations.  I got everything I wanted at Wal Mart, including  all the ingredients for the  upcoming potluck  at the  Moto Sat Rally that was to be held at Lazy Days.  I plugged in  Department stores and found Sears to be the nearest  some 9 miles away.  I follow the directions, arrive at Sears Essentials, make my purchase  and plug in my return destination to the Creative Coach.  The GPS did not take me back the exact same way I came but I trust "Hilda" so I drove the way she said.  It was a lovely clear day.  The curvy  road wound around  ponds and through  residential areas.  I was totally enjoying the feel of a Florida community.  I recall noting a  MPH sign and  drove the speed limit. I vividly recall another speed limit sign and I continued to drive within the speed limits.  There were not any other cars on the road.  I recall seeing an intersection upcoming that  was going under an overpass as  pictured exactly on my GPS screen.  I recall seeing two lanes in my direction  that both had a  green traffic signal above them.  The next horrible thing I saw was a green SUV Ford Explorer  (making a left turn from the  opposite direction I was traveling) RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.  I hit the brakes hard and instinctively swerved to the right to  possibly avoid the car but it came closer and closer.  I still see it at night.  I HIT.  The  crash was jolting, loud and quick.

My car  stopped and I saw the car  that I had  hit broadside had jumped the curb, mashed a road sign and was sitting against a chain link fence in front of me.  I was still partially in the intersection.  My Envoy was steaming, parts were  scattered all over the intersection. I turned off the ignition but the engine seemed to continue to sputter.  The door to my vehicle had opened and I sat there stunned.  Several cars came on scene and  several  folks asked me if I was ok.  I "thought" I was.  I found my cell phone on the floor of the passenger side and leaned over painfully to retrieve it.  I asked the  folks on scene if I should call 911.  They said someone already had. I fumbled with my phone and called Terry who was sitting in the motorhome at the  service center watching my washer and dryer being installed.  I  think I said , " Terry I have been in an accident and I know you can't come to get me and I don't know exactly where I am located."  He said, " Be sure to get the names of the witnesses, Is the car drivable?"  I said, NO  and started to mumble about how I did not know what to do and started to cry.  There was a wonderful angelic person standing at my door side.  She said, Give me your phone, I will go get your husband and bring him here."  I handed her  the phone with gratefulness. One of the witnesses told me she was right behind me and saw the whole thing. 
the car had  run a red light and turned right in front of me.  She said I  had no chance to miss her.  About this time there was a person in scrubs who arrived , told me she was a nurse and asked how I was . I  started to get out of the car and she told me just to sit there.  I obeyed.  At that time the thoughts going through my mind are  still so vivid in memory to me.  I thought, we have no car, we will need 3 estimates, it will take forever to have the car fixed, we are in Florida, I want to go home, I wish this did not happen, this is a very bad day and begin to panic.  Now I feel severe pain in my back at the bra level.  I also  thought I was going to throw up.  The lady said I think you should lie down. She asked if I had a anything to put down.  I recall having a black fuzzy blanket rolled up in  back of car and told her where to get it .  Two folks helped me to the side of the road where I lay down on the ground and  hurt.  I heard the  sirens of the ambulance arrive.  God those paramedics are young!  I heard them say "60 year old female complaining of back pain."  How can I be 60?  They brought out a back board, a neck collar and  rolled me onto it. Then  I heard them say, "On my count 1,2,3 " and they hoisted  the gurney up and rolled me into the ambulance.  I felt really heavy.  I was like chatty Cathy  I  talked and talked and talked.  I think  they know my entire history. They took a blood  pressure reading and it was  waaaaaay higher than normal.  It seemed the ride to the hospital took forever. I knew the driver  missed the ramp to the freeway and had to  make a course correction.  No siren was going.  My  right knee began to throb  and they put an ice pack on it.  When we arrived at hospital, I got rolled into emergency and they put me in the hallway.  There were dozens of folks  there and no rooms were available.  They took a  history. I could recall my  social security number, address all the details.  But I was scared, cold and  feeling quite panicky.  They ordered ex-rays of my  neck, chest,  back and right knee.  The doctor asked if I could move a few body parts and I could.  I waited a few minutes and a teenage girl type  chewing gum came to get me to ex-ray.  She  had me walk to the room.  I was very woozy.  They did all the  exrays and had me stretching my arms up to reach  parts of the  machine and it hurt like hell ,  so she backed the stretch off to the next closer rung.  I waited back on my own stretcher in the hallway.  The doctor came out and  told me I had not broken anything but I would  be  as sore as if I had been working out a a gym.  He gave me two Ativan to calm me down. he asked how I would be getting home.  I told him I had no idea.  About this time  the doctor told me that my husband had arrived. The police from the scene of the accident had brought him to the hospital.  I was  SOOOOO  happy to see him but worried if he would be mad at me for wrecking the car.  He clearly was not.  He had the  Tivo from the car and the GPS in his hand as he retrieved those items before the wrecker took the car away. The TIvo was in the car for  transport to a repair place.  He called Enterprise Rent a car and they picked him up from hospital.  He told me to wait in waiting room if I was released before he  came back.  I waited.  He  returned.  We drove to a the wrecking yard and retrieved more personal items from car.  We went to pharmacy to have my pain meds  prescription filled.  We went to  a fast food place for Dinner. 

So  back to Carson's question, the seat belt seemed to have been the brunt of my most  painful injuries.  It feels like broken ribs on left side and my knees were both badly bruised from hitting the dash area.    Later this week my neck hurts and my  back still aches.  Vicodin takes away the pain but makes you loopy.

The air bags did not  go off.  Given the  extensive front end damage to  car,  that is surprising.  The wrecking yard folks thought that I had hit the car so low that it  did not cause them to go  off.  I was braking and maybe the front end of car was  lowered as a result??? 

Something I now recall as a bit humorous, I was so concerned about the groceries I had just purchased. I told everyone I had milk in the car.  Well my comments made such an impression, that the wrecking yard took my  perishable items and stored them in their refrigerator until we retrieved them.  I did not lose a  thing.  Thinking now about the Florida  community individuals who helped me out I can only say a big thank you.  Those random acts of kindness are so appreciated and made for a better situation of a bad day.    I hope I can return the favors to others in any way.  Well Carson are you sorry you asked?

Betty

Betty:

Sue and I are glad you are doing better.

I know the Maritime saga is over but you don't need an accident reason to start another. ;)

Oh, Betty ... you are such a precious friend.  I'm so glad we chose this RV life and were able to meet you and Terry.  :D

After generously sharing all your adventurous travel times with us all, you now share the traumatic details of your accident.  Having once been in a severe accident, I can appreciatie how relating the blow-by-blow details could help someone on the forum if they find themselves in a similar situation.  Bless you for taking the time and the courage to share.

I'm so glad I was able to hear your voice on the phone and be reassured that you sounded like our bubbly, optimistic Betty.  I hope your pain continues to ease and that you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip.  I'll bet when you reach Jim and Pat Dick at TGO, things will be normal and "all better".  Hugs to you and Terry and Jim and Pat.

Margi

Hi Margi,

Hugs to you and Tom, too!

We're certainly going to try to have Betty enjoy some of her Florida trip. They will be next to us at TGO, facing the pond, 13th green, and the sunset. They can even watch our resident gator relax in the sun. :) Hopefully Betty will be recovered enough to enjoy a couple of days at Kennedy Space Center and a great wildlife drive, off road but not like AZ, where we will see all kinds of birds and gators.

Betty,

Ya know you could have 'just asked' Terry for a new car!  ;D

Seriously, glad to hear you were not seriously injured and we wish you a speedy recovery!  :)

Had a guy pull out without looking my way and hit me in the left rear quarter panel last December ... almost was able to get out of his way, but not quite.  Impact spun me around, was quite a ride for about 3 seconds!

"Hours and hours of shear boredom, punctuated by moments of shear terror" ... I think is how the saying goes.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.  :)

Howard and Kelly

Betty, So glad you're improving, even if you are a variety of interesting colors. I can't believe the air bags didn't go off....I thought it was an impact that set them off. Maybe you should talk to GMC??  Anyway, once you feel better you can enjoy shopping for a new car.....and don't forget the skid plates !

Wendy
Sand Island, Bluff, Utah

Hi Betty,

Wow, your accident account brought back some vivid memories which you may always have - our five-car pileup on an Oakland freeway was in the mid-1960s and I still got sweaty palms reading about yours.  I remember Jerry yelling at someone not to put the flares in the trail of gasoline (luckily he was unhurt), the EMS guy shining a light in my eyes and saying "this one's in shock," and getting more than a little loopy from the ER drugs.  I was so sore I couldn't get out of bed the next day.  But, like you, nothing was broken.  Just a whip lash and so many sore muscles I couldn't believe it.  The good news, dear friend, is that it will all improve and you will get back behind the wheel, albeit at a higher level of caution for a while.  So just take it easy and recover quickly.  I'm glad you have Terry to take over those pink jobs until you feel better.  ;)

I'm really surprised the airbags didn't deploy.  Thanks for taking the time to tell us all about it.

Take care,
ArdraF

Betty, you're sounding better.  ;D  Got a ways to go, yet.  :(

Seems to me that the airbags should have deployed, especially in that type of accident. If I had an accident like that and my airbags didn't deploy, I'd be more than just a little bit interested in why!  ???

Betty,
Jack and I were sorry to hear about your being in an accident. However, we are glad that you are on the road to feeling a lot less puny!! From what you wrote, Terry is doing a great job taking care of those "pink" duties. That is true devotion.  :)

Take life easy for a while.

Best regards,
Jack and Liz
Lone Star Corral, D'hanis, TX

Jackliz said:
Betty,
From what you wrote, Terry is doing a great job taking care of those "pink" duties. That is true devotion.  :)

Liz:

Devotion? Terry gets to keep wife and get a new car: Good Deal! ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom