Ball moves on hitch head when weight applied - dangerous I assume!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donw78025

PROBLEM: Ball tilts slightly to rear (towards trailer) when weight is applied on coupler. Ball was ever so slightly forward of coupler when lowering coupler. I can see ball moving and see daylight between ball base and hitch head when couple is lowering onto ball. When no or full weight is on ball there is no daylight between ball base and hitch head. Pictures are available.
I have owned this Equalizer model 90-00-1000 for about 6 months. It came with a used trailer Grand Design Imagine 2150RB.
We just got through with a 2000 mile roundtrip in August.
Would you do a 500 mile roundtrip the next few days? I'm sure the answer is not what my wife wants to hear!!
I'm thinking the entire ball needs to be re-torqued?
Any comments are appreciated!
Don78025

Attachments

• 20210930_154611.jpg
    20210930_154611.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210930_154652.jpg
    20210930_154652.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210930_161334.jpg
    20210930_161334.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 35
If it's the ball to receiver loose then check to see if a washer is installed beneath the nut.. If missing, the nut may be tight but thread bound.. If just not tight enough use a pipe wrench on the ball and a torque wrench to tighten to 180 foot pounds.. If the problem is the trailer hitch loose on the top of the ball,, that's normal within limits.. Look carefully,, many are adjustable to snug it up.>>>Dan

I wouldn’t tow it 5’ with your situation. You need to have a expert look at it for your safety, you’re wife’s safety and the safety of all the drivers on the road.

What position is the locking lever in when you lower the trailer? It has to be all the up for the ball to seat properly. If that is the case, then the ball is the wrong size for the coupler. Try a 2” ball. This might be the case if you have a small travel trailer. Can you supply a picture that also shows the top of the coupler?

What position is the locking lever in when you lower the trailer? It has to be all the up for the ball to seat properly. If that is the case, then the ball is the wrong size for the coupler. Try a 2” ball. This might be the case if you have a small travel trailer. Can you supply a picture that also shows the top of the coupler?
The problem is not the ball seating in the coupler, it's the ball rocking in the hitch. It needs to be tightened either by tightening the nut or adding a washer if the threads aren't deep enough. There should be a large lock washer between the nut and the hitch.

My old boss was telling me about getting his new boat home, found there was no nut on the ball. It was probably not tightened and vibrated off, but holy crap. He was lucky there was no just right bump in the road.

SO, yes, get it fixed, may actually need to replace it.

Ball should not move. First the "Bolt" portion of the ball that goes through the Tongue of the tow vehicle (or the bumper) should be the same size or shimmed to the same size as the hole so it can not move
And 2nd the nut needs to be tight. Movement makes the joint way weaker and can cause the bolt to snap or other failure especially in a panic stop condition.

On my first TT the dealer set up the WD hitch and after a few trips I found out the ball was loose. Took it to a local tire shop and they torqued it down for me with their air tools...never came loose after that!

If that is the case, then the ball is the wrong size for the coupler. Try a 2” ball. This might be the case if you have a small travel trailer. Can you supply a picture that also shows the top of the coupler?
I don’t know if you can put a 2-5/16” ball in a socket made for a 2” ball. The OP has to look at the top of the trailer hitch. It should say what size ball you need

Balls come in various sizes SHANKS which is threaded part also come in various sizes the ball mount has a hole in various sizes the key is to mount a 2 5/8 ball with a 3/4 in shank with a ball mount with a 3/4, inch hole in this case the shank is too small for the hole

Ps this is a $20 fix but i wouldnt leave home with out it and any home depot etc will have the right size ball with the appropriate shank

Last edited:
Balls come in various sizes SHANKS which is threaded part also come in various sizes the ball mount has a hole in various sizes the key is to mount a 2 5/8 ball with a 3/4 in shank with a ball mount with a 3/4, inch hole in this case the shank is too small for the hole
I think you meant to say 2-5/16” Steve, ball. I don’t want newbies looking for a 2-5/8” ball.

I think you meant to say 2-5/16” Steve, ball. I don’t want newbies looking for a 2-5/8” ball.
Sorry you are correct i used a random size not thinking. I stand duly corrected but yes 😆
Shanks come in 1,/2" 3/4" 1," etc so match the shank with the hole size

Last edited:
Maybe some pictures would help as well.

Notice the area I'm pointing to in the second photo, the threads don't go all the way to the top so if the big washer isn't there and the metal you put the ball through is thinner than the unthreaded part then your ball will rock back and forth. In the third photo the nut is threaded on as far as it can go and there is still a 5/16" gap there.

HTH

Attachments

• P9300001.JPG
    P9300001.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 5
  • P9300003.JPG
    P9300003.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P9300004.JPG
    P9300004.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 5
A 10000 lb rated 2-5/16 ball should have a 1¼ x 14 thread shank on it. If the ball were to have a smaller shank, it should have a bushing inserted in the hole the ball shank goes thru.

I bought a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch used from a guy. It have been used twice he told me. The ball was loose and the two cross bolts were loose also.

Of course I torqued everything in the process of setting it up. 450 lb/ft (Equalizer says 430 lb/ft but virtually everyone else in the hitch business specs 450 lb/ft) on the ball nut, and 250-320 lb/ft on the cross bolts.

A genuine Equal-i-zer® hitch requires a rather thin walled 1-7/8 in 3/4 drive socket to fit in the recess to torque the nut. Also, a genuine Equal-i-zer® hitch requires a ball with a shank NO LONGER than 2-3/8 in...... or the bottom of the shank will interfere with the rotation of the weight bar sockets. Typical 3/4 drive sockets of this size won't fit. EQ sells a special socket and searches will find you a few other brands that will fit.

Technical Reference for the ball installation: Equal-i-zer® Hitch | The Original Sway Control and Weight Distribution Hitch

This ball needs to be removed and carefully inspected to determine that the shank and base of the ball, nor the nut and lock washer, have any unusual wear, and the hole in the hitch head also needs to be examined.

Pic is of my torquing of the ball on my new to me Blue Ox hitch. I own about 30 different torque wrenches and this English made Norbar is the largest one I have, and only one of two that will do 450 lb/ft.

Charles

Attachments

• Blue Ox hitch turned sideways torquing the ball.jpg
    Blue Ox hitch turned sideways torquing the ball.jpg
    864.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Good morning everyone and thanks so much for all the great input! We purchased this used earlier this year and have been on several trips so perhaps we dodged a bullet here!
Locking lever was in correct position and ball is correct size for coupler so all that's good.
ReneT & others confirms my worries about a road trip until fixed. CharlesinGA, yes I noticed in manual the 430 lbs/ft torque but don't have all your cool tools! So the search is on today for a shop that can handle the job. The nearest Equalizer dealer is about 45 minutes away.
Again, thank all for the input! really good to have a sounding board like this!

Head to any truck, trailer, or uHaul shop. They'll tighten it on the spot, probably n/c.

PROBLEM: Ball tilts slightly to rear (towards trailer) when weight is applied on coupler. Ball was ever so slightly forward of coupler when lowering coupler. I can see ball moving and see daylight between ball base and hitch head when couple is lowering onto ball. When no or full weight is on ball there is no daylight between ball base and hitch head. Pictures are available.
I have owned this Equalizer model 90-00-1000 for about 6 months. It came with a used trailer Grand Design Imagine 2150RB.
We just got through with a 2000 mile roundtrip in August.
Would you do a 500 mile roundtrip the next few days? I'm sure the answer is not what my wife wants to hear!!
I'm thinking the entire ball needs to be re-torqued?
Any comments are appreciated!
Don78025
Hey there,
I’m a newbie and just moved my new 1961 Avion T-20 yesterday for the first time. As I needed a adapter I bought a 2” adapter and A 2 5/16” ball. Guess what, the ball shank diameter was larger than the hole in the adapter. Is it possible you need a ball with a larger shank? The two balls I now own, one has a 1” shank and the other has a 1-1/4 “ shank.
Good luck,
Rick

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a picture of this 2” adapter? I’m not sure what you’re saying. When you say adapter, do you mean the piece that slides into the receiver mounted on the tow vehicle? If it is, that’s called. Trailer hitch ball mount.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaxx
Back
Top Bottom