Banjos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

Recently, since starting this hosting gig we are in, I have came accross several campers that play instruments. Where we are it seems to be Bluegrass style stuff. Anyways, I got interested and purchesed a stater banjo, am doing online lessons through the shop I purchased from and am enjoying it. Hopefully will be joining in on some of the campground sessions around the daily campfires. My first musical instrument since the saxaphone in early grade school music class lessons (which never led me anywhere).
This thread, initially, got me interested - so thanks for the insight.

Congrats Phil. Is that a 5-string banjo with the drone 5th string? Are they teaching you fingerstyle, or clawhammer?

I have a plectrum banjo (4 string), and a banjo ukulele, but can only manage to strum both instruments. I'm in awe when I see folks picking a banjo.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, it's a relatiely inexpensive GoldTone 5-string , open back, composite, bluegrass banjo. I am aiming for 3 finger bluegrass style playing. We'll see how it goes- so far it's progressing. Lots of finger training to accomplish, for sure. We had gone to a few bluegrass vesitavals in the last few years of traveling, and we both enjoy the music. Not sure how the DW is dealing with all the practice plucking but she seems to be in full support.
Definitely a great passtime while in this hosting gig, which we hope to do on an annual basis for the winter months. The folks here are great, easy-going and we get along with the hosting gig vey well. Rangers are especially welcoming.

Great Phil. Nowt wrong with a GoldTone - they make some fine banjos. That open back probably means it doesn't have as much sound as one with a resonator back, but I'm sure it's plenty loud enough so your other half knows you're 'alive and plucking' :)

We strummers wouldn't know what to do with that 5th string (drone), because it's a fixed length (no frets) :confused:

Thanks Tom, it's a relatiely inexpensive GoldTone 5-string , open back, composite, bluegrass banjo. I am aiming for 3 finger bluegrass style playing. We'll see how it goes- so far it's progressing. Lots of finger training to accomplish, for sure. We had gone to a few bluegrass vesitavals in the last few years of traveling, and we both enjoy the music. Not sure how the DW is dealing with all the practice plucking but she seems to be in full support.
Definitely a great passtime while in this hosting gig, which we hope to do on an annual basis for the winter months. The folks here are great, easy-going and we get along with the hosting gig vey well. Rangers are especially welcoming.
Phil, is this the banjo you bought? The video clip shows a guy playing it like you soon will.

Sure is. I'm almost ready to progress to lesson #2 ;) It's going pretty well. LOL - long ways to go. My finger memory is almost as slow as my brain memory. :cool:

Sure is. I'm almost ready to progress to lesson #2 ;) It's going pretty well. LOL - long ways to go. My finger memory is almost as slow as my brain memory. :cool:
You're already way ahead of me. All I can manage is to strum my banjo and banjo uke :(

Very cool!@. I started with the Dobro a bunch of years ago, but first instrument ever. Not a lot of practice time, so not a lot of progress, but considering my total lack of experience, I guess I am doing OK. I can hold my own in jams, just no crazy fast hot licks.

Get to the point where you can handle some chords and get to jamming. Learn what they mean by a 145. (nashville numbering system).

I can't contribute to the banjo playing on this thread but I can tell a story; We are bluegrass music lovers and go to a lot of bluegrass festivals. I know a lot about bluegrass music and in conversations I'm often asked what instruments I play. My standard answer is: "We are professional listeners, you pick we grin!"

A non bluegrass lover friend asked me if I listen to bluegrass on the Sat. radio. I said that we did and gave him the station number. Later he said that they listened to the bluegrass on the radio and could not take more than 10 minutes of that "Crap." When they were on their way to Florida they stopped to camp with us at our winter campground. We attend a 3-day bluegrass festival there and got them to go with us on day only. To make a long story short, they now have annual reserved seats at that bluegrass festival and a load of bluegrass CDs. He started banjo lessons a few years ago and now has bought two very high-end banjos made by a German luthier in the Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain area.

Larry, great link. although I can't imagine printing it out, and carting around. One easy way on the dobro in open G tuning is :key, up 5 and up 2. Then to figure out when and how to use a capo. The banjo is typically tuned to open G as well, so for early in picking bar chords work great.

I played in a band for a while that had a banjo player. I convinced her to put a towel in it because it was so loud. That might be a good idea for practicing In an RV park.

I like blues and jazz banjo. Think Bella Fleck and Allison Brown.

Larry, great link. although I can't imagine printing it out, and carting around. One easy way on the dobro in open G tuning is :key, up 5 and up 2. Then to figure out when and how to use a capo. The banjo is typically tuned to open G as well, so for early in picking bar chords work great.
My plectrum banjo is tuned CGBD and my banjo uke is tuned GCEA.

I played in a band for a while that had a banjo player. I convinced her to put a towel in it because it was so loud. That might be a good idea for practicing In an RV park.

I like blues and jazz banjo. Think Bella Fleck and Allison Brown.
Russ, Phil's banjo is made from a composite material with an open back. Much quieter than one with a resonator back.

Are you guys speaking english? :unsure: LOL.
Phil, just curious - when you tune your banjo, how do you tune each string, starting at the top string? I suppose that should be starting with the drone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom