Basement AC problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

I have a 2000 Itasca with a basement AC.

My CG site has dual 30 Amp power services. I am using the ?Y? to make it compatible with a 50 Amp power cable.

My RV has the Powerline energy management system by Intellitec. The 30 Amp limit switch is activated. The meter reads 29 Amps when everything is working OK. I have not tripped either of the 30 Amp service breakers.

In the afternoon, when the outside temperature gets above 90 degrees. the AC goes to one compressor and all power is cut, except to the refrigerator. The current drops to 19 Amps. The inside temperature starts to increase to the outside temperature level. I have tried all of the arrangements of switches but nothing helps.

To eliminate the potential problem of using the ?Y?, I started the generator. The problem still existed with the generator.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what is causing the problem and what to do to fix it?

I'll bet the two 30 amp services are in phase, with 0 volts from one hot leg to the other.  If so, the neutral currents are additive and the Powerline EMS will load shed if the combined neutral current exceeds 30 amps.

It will also load shed to 24 amps (80% of 30 amps) if it's in 30 amp mode and the load exceeds 80% of the 30 amp service rating for 3 hours.

You need 240 volts from leg to leg for the Powerline to switch to 50 amp mode and disable the load shedding.

Air conditioners draw more current in hot weather.  Their head pressure rises so they work harder, increasing the compressor's current draw.  Two a/c's that are close to the shedding limit in cool weather will exceed that limit when it gets hot outside, triggering the Powerline's load shedding.

Is your generator sending the 12 volt control signal to the Powerline that lights the Generator status light?  If not, the Powerline will treat it like shore power, load shedding to keep the neutral current below 30 amps.

The Powerline Installation and Service manual explains this in more detail.  John Canfield has it available on his web site.  Here's a link to it.

Yes,  the two inputs are in phase. The other sources are also in phase. It however, seems kinda stupid that the 8 kw generator would not run the AC. The generator light seemed normal.

I will read the manual when I get in the mood to check it out. Thanks for the information.

Lou

Thanks for giving me the site for the service manual. I found it quite informative and basically what I thought how the equipment worked.

Today the AC worked perfectly from about 10:00 am to 5:pm. At 5:00 pm it reverted back to the half power mode as before. The outside temperature is about 95 degrees. It appears that it is probably a heat problem. It usually works OK until just after noon when the sun gets to the position of shining direct on the side of the AC. The parking site is not level and when the MH was leveled, it limits the area for the hot air to escape.

I could move but it seems like a lot of trouble for a few more nights.

The AC is only 2 years old.

Thanks again

If you want to find out if the powerline system has cut one of the A/C electrical circuits off, open the louver to get to the control box (extreme left side of the basement air box).  When you take the cover off (it can be done without taking the whole thing out of the chassis) on the bottom are the connections to the two circuits.  If both of the circuits are "hot"  the powerline system has not shut one of the  compressors down.  If, on the other hand, circuit one is "hot" and circuit two is not.  The powerline system has struck. You'll have to check both circuit breakers and the powerline switch.  Good luck, Beau

Thanks for the information and suggestion. The AC works most of the time so I will leave it alone and study it some more on our way back to the house.

Back
Top Bottom