Bathroom Fan Upgrade - Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVcyclist

I was considering replacing my small noisy bathroom fan and vent with a Fantastic Fan, but after seeing a review of the Heng's Vortex Fan Upgrade Kit (http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Vortex-Fan-Upgrade-Kit-p/31-5010.htm), I decided to try the cheaper upgrade.  It took less than an hour to install and it looks great.  The fan pulls a large volume of air (with the bathroom door standing open about 1 inch, the fan pulls enough air to quickly pull it closed). 

The only downside that I can see is that it produces more noise than do the higher priced fans (but it is much quieter than the small fan it replaced).  It is only a single speed and it would be nice to have a three speed switch to allow it to run at slower speeds.

Overall, it appears to be a good low-cost alternative for upgrading a vent fan (or adding a fan to an existing vent).

We are unhappy with the fans in our unit (bathroom & Kitchen)because they have a wall switch that controls them but it's just all on or all off.  They have a control switch at the fan, but that's up in the ceiling and I'd have to get a stool to reach everytime I wanted to control it.  We're thinking of changing them out and I was wondering if the ones you chose have remotes to control the speed and height?

http://www.adventurerv.net/fantastic-vent-6600-volt-smoke-dome-remote-p-6325.html

Obviously ours are the same way but we don't adjust them enough to invest in changing out the entire fan assemblies. Now if someone made a remote add-on kit (I can't find any, doesn't mean they don't exist) I might consider that.

If you don't want to go that route then may I recommend this;http://www.adventurerv.net/ezfoldz-folding-step-stepping-stool-blue-camper-p-719.html
LOL! That's what I use on the occasions that I do want to adjust them.

I have a stool very similar for getting into the backs of my cupboards!  My old MH was a Super C and it had really high ceilings and I had to climb to get into everything!  One of the reasons we got rid of it was because my DH was afraid he'd come in and find me splattered on the floor from one of my climbs when I was too lazy to get out the stool!! ;D

The fans are really okay, we were just used to being able to stop it mid way if we just wanted to let in a little air and also we could open it without having the fan on.  These unfortunately when using the wall switch just turn on all the way up and full speed!  Oh well, guess we have bigger fish to fry right now.

4ducksrus said:
We're thinking of changing them out and I was wondering if the ones you chose have remotes to control the speed and height?

No, the control on this is very basic, on or off.  Also, the vent must be opened manually.  So, this will not help you.

4ducksrus said:
The fans are really okay, we were just used to being able to stop it mid way if we just wanted to let in a little air and also we could open it without having the fan on.  These unfortunately when using the wall switch just turn on all the way up and full speed!  Oh well, guess we have bigger fish to fry right now.

Are these fans "Fantastic Vent" ones?  If they are they can probably be upgraded to remote control.  For a price, of course!!

Thanks for the thread Delbert, after reading it I thought about what you had to say about the update for the fan and decided that I would do as you did because the bathroom fan is making a noise it should be delivered soon. I have a Fantastic fan in the kitchen/dinning room area so I could not see adding a second one. Thanks Again, JIM

NY_Dutch said:
I'm ordering the Vortex upgrade fan to install in a currently non-fan equipped living area vent. I'm also ordering a variable speed controller so we can adjust the fan as needed.

Dutch,
Please let me know how the variable speed controller works.  I may add one to mine.
Thanks,
Delbert

I had a Fantastic fan installed in my high roof vent. It is self opening, variable speed and on a thermostat. It is fairly quiet and no more pulling the stool out to open the vent. You can also open the vent without turning on the fan on. Had mine installed at the dealer for around $275.00. So far it has been worth the $$$.

"WOW" Delbert was right I installed the Vortex  Fan Upgrade today! It took about an hour and it works great and I can see that it would be nice to control the  fan speed. What a difference compared to the little fan.  JIM

Back
Top Bottom