Bathroom remodel - contractor or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Get referrals for the one you pick. I wouldn’t go with the most expensive contractor or the cheapest unless he has really good references and check out his work through referrals

Talk is cheap. Check their references, check their work and not just from this past month. Make them show you they have workman's comp and liability ins. otherwise you the homeowner would be liable for worker injuries occurring on your property. Get firm bids including materials up front and hold them to it. The less you know the more it will cost you.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMR
Lien waviers to make sure they pay the subs, get a schedule in writing and lots of references.
Does your city or county require Permits? Does the contractor need to be licensed?
There will be some unknowns when they start to open up the walls and tear out the shower, which could add to the project cost.
Some window suppliers also install their product. My MIL had Lowes replace all their windows, including one in the shower, and they did a great job. No leaks after 7 plus years.
Stop by a few supply houses and ask if they have any references.
What all are you going to have done? Plumbing, electrical, cabinets, window, flooring?
If you don't know a lot about remodeling then a general contractor is the way to go.
JMHO

Last edited:
I did both bathrooms in my home a few years ago. The $25K figure doesn't sound out of line for a reconfigure, where you're moving things around and having to do framing, moving drains. If this is just a refresh of what's there then you must be picking some spendy choices of fixtures and materials, but that's your choice. In my experience you can make a pretty nice looking bathroom with box store stuff if you have an eye for it. I did nearly all the work myself and it still cost 20K (for both) and it didn't happen quickly. The tradeoff is paying one or more guys a hundred an hour to speed things up. The question I would ask is what are the time drivers, things you're asking for that add a lot to labor and complication, like moving drains or walls. After that labor is pretty flat whether you're putting in dollar apiece tiles or 5 dollar apiece, a 500 dollar tub or a 3000 dollar one. Have a *very* clear idea what you want it to look like when it's done, down to the exact lights, fixtures, tiles, colors and placement and even sources. Then, be flexible when a technical issue upends something and a change is required. You can have a timeline but that's just a serving suggestion. Any number of things can blow out the schedule and stressing over how long it takes will only add frustration. Have as much lined up ahead of time as possible then when you pull the trigger plan on this being the sole pupose of your life, guiding things along and facilitating the progress. It will get done eventually, your finances stretched, and a great relief it's finally over.

Mark B.
Albuquerque. NM

This sounds like a fixed site home project rather than an RV. If your home, this inquiry belongs in the Shade Tree (non-RV) section.

Since you didn't detail what this remodel will be, it's impossible to judge the complexity or cost. Or the value to you, either. Are you looking to improve the value of the property, or to make your life more pleasant? If the latter, don't worry about cost vs home value.

Hello all.
I am finally going to remodel our master bathroom, which needs it, has needed it for more than a decade, and I feel like it is time to move forward.

Right now I am leaning towards hiring full-service remodeling firm to do the work, so they will manage the project and secure all the materials and get it done.

The other option is for me to self-manage and be the designer / general contractor, but I am worried about the details and having gaps in who does what, and a lack of accountability for quality issues if I tried to hire and manage individual subcontractors myself.

Our home is worth, I would guess, $250k. The average bathroom remodel is apparently approx only $9 - $12k. A contractor I talked to yesterday said they expect $25k and it could go up depending on materials. I have read that our max. budget should not exceed 10% of the home value, which puts us at right around $25k.

I do not want to overspend, but I am OK with paying for excellent work and materials.

The tricky part for me is our shower has a window, so I will need a carpenter for that. Plus there is all the concern of leaks in the shower and poor work causing problems.

We are not going to do the whole thing ourselves and I don't want our main bathroom torn up for longer than it needs to be.

Any thoughts? Is it OK to hire a $$ contractor? I am going to start with 3 bids and try to see what they can give us for the money to make sure it feels like it's a value.
You'll never recoup the cost of any remodel so it's always best to do what increases the value for you. A buyer will never place the same value on a remodel as you. The value of your home is largely determined by the value of the surrounding homes, if you're asking 50k more than the neighborhood appraisels indicate it's worth potential buyers look at it as overpriced.

Expect it to cost 10%-15% more than the estimate. Make sure everything you want done is in writing. Ask for copies of all receipts. If you can, have the job in your name. This way if you have any questions about materials the supplier will answer them. If the job is in the contractors name the supplier won’t talk to you. I know this from experience. We were sued for $100,000 by a contractor we fired. The subs put liens against our house because he didn’t pay them. Took us a couple of years to get it all straightened out. Then we sold the house and moved.

My brother is very handy. Years ago he did his own bathroom himself. He found a rotted floor which complicated things as it was above the basement stairs. It took him 6 months to finish it.

More recently he did a remodel for our step-mother. Took him about 6 weeks of nights and weekends probably because she stayed on top of him.

Definitely leave a fund for over runs and hidden problems.

Hello all.
I am finally going to remodel our master bathroom, which needs it, has needed it for more than a decade, and I feel like it is time to move forward.

Right now I am leaning towards hiring full-service remodeling firm to do the work, so they will manage the project and secure all the materials and get it done.

The other option is for me to self-manage and be the designer / general contractor, but I am worried about the details and having gaps in who does what, and a lack of accountability for quality issues if I tried to hire and manage individual subcontractors myself.

Our home is worth, I would guess, $250k. The average bathroom remodel is apparently approx only $9 - $12k. A contractor I talked to yesterday said they expect $25k and it could go up depending on materials. I have read that our max. budget should not exceed 10% of the home value, which puts us at right around $25k.

I do not want to overspend, but I am OK with paying for excellent work and materials.

The tricky part for me is our shower has a window, so I will need a carpenter for that. Plus there is all the concern of leaks in the shower and poor work causing problems.

We are not going to do the whole thing ourselves and I don't want our main bathroom torn up for longer than it needs to be.

Any thoughts? Is it OK to hire a $$ contractor? I am going to start with 3 bids and try to see what they can give us for the money to make sure it feels like it's a value.
When I remodeled mine, I had a feeling that I would run into mold issues, so I hired a contractor. Original quote was $10K. Mold abatement and cleanup was an additional $7K. I felt it was worth it due to the circumstances. I usually do my own work, but in this case it worked out.

We had both bathrooms and the kitchen completely remodeled and new appliances N fixtures in 2014. We decided on the contractor we felt best; after a week of measuring he returned a week later with drawings of all 3 rooms, gave us an estimate, and when the project was completed the estimated cost over-run was about $2,000. We both felt good about the results and total price.

You've received many replies with good advice. Best of of luck with your decisions and the outcome.

I own a remodeling company. If you are staying build what you want and don't worry about resale or home value, build for you. If you are moving in the foreseeable future leave it alone.

Don't hire someone who sub contracts, find a company that has its own resources/people. We are typically in and out it two weeks taking a bathroom down to studs to completion.

Don't pay for more than Materials and 10% in advance. Finial check is written when the project is done!

I own a remodeling company. If you are staying build what you want and don't worry about resale or home value, build for you. If you are moving in the foreseeable future leave it alone.

Don't hire someone who sub contracts, find a company that has its own resources/people. We are typically in and out it two weeks taking a bathroom down to studs to completion.

Don't pay for more than Materials and 10% in advance. Finial check is written when the project is done!

Great advice. Another one is to set a budget and then freeze the design. You may have $3 tile in the quote that becomes unavailable and be tempted to upgrade to the $5 tile.

Make the plan and stick to the plan. A lot of contractors get smacked for overruns that are driven by the owner...

I agree with no subs. We have a local company that subs most of the work out. When there are problems they tell people they have to contact the subs. They only refer work to them and are not responsible for shoddy craftsmanship.

My brother is very handy. Years ago he did his own bathroom himself. He found a rotted floor which complicated things as it was above the basement stairs. It took him 6 months to finish it.

More recently he did a remodel for our step-mother. Took him about 6 weeks of nights and weekends probably because she stayed on top of him.

Definitely leave a fund for over runs and hidden problems.
I did my own bathroom remodel. Tiled floor and shower with cement board backing on walls and floor. Removed the tub and installed a cast iron shower pan. Fixed out of square shower walls. I had all the new plumbing ready, but had my neighbor who is master plumber do all the soldering. Higher quality fixtures. Took me a month, working evenings and weekends, but I know exactly how it was done. No hidden shortcuts!

Hello all.

Any thoughts? Is it OK to hire a Remodeling Contractor Near me? I am going to start with 3 bids and try to see what they can give us for the money to make sure it feels like it's a value.
Hello, I'm a fairly handy DIYer, and I'm taking on my first "real" plumbing project - redoing our basement full bath. I've taken out the old fiberglass tub/shower surround, and am in the process of deciding if I'm going to replace it with another surround, or a tub with tiled walls. When I disconnected and took out the tub, I notice the drain assembly appears to be set in clumps of concrete, (see below pics) and the bottom drain portion does not appear to be level. I'm wondering what my options are. Should I try and fit a new tub to the existing assembly, or try and chisel out the concrete and see about replacing the assembly. I'm nervous about opening a can of worms as I really want to do as much of this as I can since my budget is limited and the plumbers around here are expensive. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello, I'm a fairly handy DIYer, and I'm taking on my first "real" plumbing project - redoing our basement full bath. I've taken out the old fiberglass tub/shower surround, and am in the process of deciding if I'm going to replace it with another surround, or a tub with tiled walls. When I disconnected and took out the tub, I notice the drain assembly appears to be set in clumps of concrete, (see below pics) and the bottom drain portion does not appear to be level. I'm wondering what my options are. Should I try and fit a new tub to the existing assembly, or try and chisel out the concrete and see about replacing the assembly. I'm nervous about opening a can of worms as I really want to do as much of this as I can since my budget is limited and the plumbers around here are expensive. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Where are the pictures?

Don't let the existing configuration drive the final result. Decide what you want it to look like when you're done and everything needed revolves around that.

In my limited experience, scorched earth works best. Knock out anything hodgepodge or "vintage". Dig back to a good connection point, and put in all new. There is no prize when you die for painstaking reconstruction of what's there. It's going to be painful enough to do any of this, don't make it worse by creating a lot of extra time consuming work by surgical reconstruction. Rent a jackhammer and a concrete saw, 2 hours later it will be open and the building can begin. When it's done you won't have any regrets that you put a ton of work into it and it wasn't what you wanted.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I've done a few bathroom tear outs and the prime directive is "don't fix what ain't broke". If the old tub was draining, the new tub is going to be situated over the drain and the fitting is sound, there's no reason to go tearing into it.

Milon,

I can try to help but your pictures or not attached. Is it the tub overflow that is not level or the drain and p trap itself? Whichever it is it needs to be right, don't just let it be and cover it up with a new tub. We own a remodeling company and I do about 30 complete bathroom remodels a year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom