Battery Charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aguablanco

Just put 2 new 12v batteries in the trailer and want to be able to maintain them properly. Most of our camping is boondocking. We generally run the generator ~4 hours per day to charge. I currently have the original WFCO converter. Would upgrading to a PD unit help? BTW 30 amp trailer.
RichH

Can't help with the converter question.

But I'll throw this out....

The 4 hour charge running the generator will get a lot of bulk charge done. But to get the batteries fully charged takes a lot longer. Have you given any thoughts to adding a some solar panels to finish off the charge.

There is no particular reason to change brands and the WFCO should be fine, assuming it has a halfway decent charge rate. You didn't specify the charger amp size, nor the battery bank amp-hours, so I'm just guessing.

Four hours of genset should get two typical size 12v batteries to around 80%.  Installing a much larger amp rate charger might help a bit, but batteries only accept a charge at a certain rate (depends on battery size & type), so you can't push them too fast anyway.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
There is no particular reason to change brands and the WFCO should be fine, assuming it has a halfway decent charge rate. You didn't specify the charger amp size, nor the battery bank amp-hours, so I'm just guessing.

Four hours of genset should get two typical size 12v batteries to around 80%.  Installing a much larger amp rate charger might help a bit, but batteries only accept a charge at a certain rate (depends on battery size & type), so you can't push them too fast anyway.
Thanks Gary. I have the WFCO 40 amp, I believe. I have 2 114ah batteries. While boondocking last year for 10 days I did not have any issues and the old batteries made it 3.5 years. I did run the generator ~4 hours per day with a couple of those hours also running AC. I am just wondering if there is more I could, or should, do to extend the life of the batteries. Lots of camping trips this year.
RichH

A PD or other converter will do better because they hit 14.4 volts. The wfco is supposed to do 14.4 but it's usually only when the battery is very low and it won't stay there long. If you are sitting on the cord at home 13.6 is fine, if you are trying to charge with the most expensive source possible (generator) you will do better with 14.4. Some even upgrade to a unit that does 14.8. If you ever run Trojan wets they suggest 14.8 for daily charges.

Did you dip the old batteries to see the SG? The sg has to be driven all the way  back up or else the battery is never  fully charged. More batteries die from under charging vs over charging.

People often get more than 3.5 years but it requires always having electrolyte over the plates, not storing when low, regular full charges, equalizing/top charge as needed.

If you are never driving them to full charge you may get by but the life can be reduced.

Another thing with 13.6 volt charging is that you may only be getting 13.5 or 13.4 at the batteries. That's barely above float.

Lead acid battery chemistry is very well-known so most 3 or 4 stage battery chargers use pretty much the same bulk, absorption and float voltage algorithms. Both the WFCO and PD chargers are multi-stage, so differences in their algorithms are going to be small.  The PD 91xx and 92xx converter/chargers are excellent, though, and a 60A model is solid capability.  WFCO makes some equally good deck mount chargers, but they also have some budget priced integrated models that maybe are less capable.

Educate yourself a bit on battery charging at https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/3-stages-of-smart-chargers.html

Thanks so much for all of the info. Looks like I will be sticking with the WFCO for the time being. Nice to save a bit of dough.
RichH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom