Battery storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ricsuz88 said:
Trickle charger
ricsuz88
Why don't you simply connect that same trickle charger to your batteries while they stay in your RV?

I park my coach outside in Wisconsin winters, connected to a 20A garage receptacle, for months at a time, plugged in to a 20A garage receptacle, and allow the 3 stage automatic battery in my inverter/charger to automatically maintain the charge in the batteries. (Have most winters since '01).

The original (1st) set of batteries lasted 9 years, ('96-'05)  ..the 2nd set 10 years ('05- '15).

I?ve not had a camper (yet). But boats for decades. I?ve used on board trickle chargers that have failed over the winter, and when spring rolls around, the batteries were toast. Sulfated. No bringing ?em back. The best solution for me is pulling the batteries, keeping them in the garage, and hooking them up to the charger for a full charge at the first (or there abouts) of every month. Works a treat, and guaranteed to be about the best solution. I would say solar might be a second if you don?t get much snow. Wouldn?t work for me.

FBO Cookie Monster said:
I?ve not had a camper (yet). But boats for decades. I?ve used on board trickle chargers that have failed over the winter, and when spring rolls around, the batteries were toast. Sulfated. No bringing ?em back. The best solution for me is pulling the batteries, keeping them in the garage, and hooking them up to the charger for a full charge at the first (or there abouts) of every month. Works a treat, and guaranteed to be about the best solution. I would say solar might be a second if you don?t get much snow. Wouldn?t work for me.

........THAT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^......works for me too!

Thanks for all the help. 
I have connected a "Smart Charger" set on maintenance, to the dual 6 volt batteries. The trailer inverter is unplugged.

A final question, should I turn off the power to the trailer from the batteries (I installed a switch) to prevent a drain or leave it on?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom