Battery wiring Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yoshi

Hi,
I'm cleaning up the wiring for my batteries. Mostly the negative wires. I have a couple of questions,

1. My batteries are wired in parallel. Instead of being jumpered, each of the positive wires goes to the switch. That seems to be the same end result. Any reason to change it?

2. I have both a roof solar panel and a external solar plug. The wiring from the roof solar controller has the positive and negative going to different batteries but the external solar plug has the positive and negative going to the same battery. Is this ok? or should it be changed?

Thank you

Wiring.jpg

1. I wouldn’t change this unless the wires are frayed, damaged or corroded. Or it just completely annoys you.

2. It’s fine. It’s common practice to hook up wires from the controller to opposite corners and the load or inverter to the other corners, in a catty-corner fashion.

Kevin

If you would move the negative cable that is not connected to the shunt you would more accurately measure the total current in and out of your batteries on your Victron monitor.

Edit:

It looks like your shunt might be connected to the positive side. I am not an expert but my instructions had me connect all the loads thru the negative. Maybe it works both ways but you do need to connect all the loads thru the shunt if you want to measure total charge and discharge.

Last edited:
If you would move the negative cable that is not connected to the shunt you would more accurately measure the total current in and out of your batteries on your Victron monitor.
All the negative wires, except for the solar, go thorugh the shunt. I don't have that shown quite right,

Thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom