BBQ's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tourmaster said:
We also have the Weber Baby Q. For the two of us it is a nice size, easy to use and easy to store.

Went to CW, go this coleman and found the 10' hose to connect to the quick connect under the unit.... can't wait for grill'in time!

Attachments

• lxeassemblygif_lg.gif
    lxeassemblygif_lg.gif
    93 KB · Views: 22
RE:Coleman Roadtrip.
I looked at the Coleman and the only thing I didn't like was that for most grillin you have to keep the lid up (please correct me if I am wrong). The burners on the Coleman have a much higher BTU rating but I suspect it is because you don't close the lid. The BabyQ burner has a lower BTU rating but you are supposed to preheat the cast iron grill for up to 10 minutes prior to putting the food on. When you put the food on the grill you usually close the lid then open it to flip the food. I usually take the burner off in the spring and wire brush it and that take the body to the self serve car wash and use the pressure wand to clean it. I also line the inside with aluminum foil to help keep it from getting to "gunky/yucky/etc  ;D). I have a big plastic bin with lid that I store it in in the compartment (along with my electric griddle). I bought the cast iron griddle that goes with the Baby Q but it was such a PITA to use and clean that i just went out and bought an electric griddle($19.95 @ Macy's) with the non stick surface. Whatta concept..............

Here is what I have.http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Camp-Chef-Big-Gas-Grill-3/productDetail/Camp-Stoves/prod71388/cat110125#reviews
Have the grill, a small, and large griddle attachments.  We have this on a 12' hose that plugs right into the camper.  Works GREAT.  Even when I have alot of folks, which is common as family flies up to visit and fish every summer.
It is a lil big to store and requires 2 folks to move it, but that is no issue to us since we have a toy hauler. ;D

codgerbill said:
RE:Coleman Roadtrip.
I looked at the Coleman and the only thing I didn't like was that for most grillin you have to keep the lid up (please correct me if I am wrong). The burners on the Coleman have a much higher BTU rating but I suspect it is because you don't close the lid. ...

My Road Trip has a different mounting (screw in legs instead of folding, but otherwise appears about the same. You don't have to keep the lid open when grilling hot dogs, brauts, steaks or hamburgers (probably not other things, either), and you don't have to run the burner wide open -- it's adjustable. You CAN leave it open if you need to, but you lose some of the "smoke" effect, and I don't like the results quite as well. I use my pressure washer to clean it when I'm home, along with Greased Lightning spray cleaner, and on the road I use a scraper brush much like the one I use on my home grill.

Larry N. said:
My Road Trip has a different mounting (screw in legs instead of folding, but otherwise appears about the same. You don't have to keep the lid open when grilling hot dogs, brauts, steaks or hamburgers (probably not other things, either), and you don't have to run the burner wide open -- it's adjustable. You CAN leave it open if you need to, but you lose some of the "smoke" effect, and I don't like the results quite as well. I use my pressure washer to clean it when I'm home, along with Greased Lightning spray cleaner, and on the road I use a scraper brush much like the one I use on my home grill.

Phewwww, thought I would have to keep the lid open after that post!  Feel better now, specially after spending that cash on the new grill.  We really loved our old RVQ, but it was about spent after all the use, needed to go with the old trailer on trade and well.... we just thought the new unit deserved a new grill!  I love burn'in errr.... grillin while on vacation, can't wait.  Cleaning... box of rubber gloves is a man's best friend....  Will use a few less of those gloves now that I don't have to haul the hitch to the truck and back with the 5th wheel!  Which by the way I play'd up pretty good a few times while talking the wife-unit into a fifth wheel....

If you are looking for a charcoal unit, you can't go wrong with Weber. Take a look at the Weber Smokey Joe. It's small and compact, but gives you the same flavor of the larger kettle grills.

If you are looking for a smoker, I'd suggest the Weber Smokey Mountain which is also affectionately know at the "WSM" by its' devotees and many professional bbq contest competitors.

Camp Chef have some good products, as do Weber, but for real BBQ I like organic charcoal and wood.

That said, I do most of my RVing on the way to and from BBQ contests towing a trailer that carries my BBQ pits, so I don't worry and just use one of them, that's more for low and slow smoking though, I often use a tripod and grate over the fire pit at a camp ground, but please don't cook over pine, use charcoal and eithe a fruit or nut wood!

JM2C!

We have a Little Pal. It works good for up to 4 people. I have had it a while and not sure where to get one but we are happy with ours.

Having used propane grill at home for many years, adding wood chips really enhances the flavor.  You can get them at most places that sell grills and parts.

schoolsout2 said:
Having used propane grill at home for many years, adding wood chips really enhances the flavor.  You can get them at most places that sell grills and parts.

Or.... by stripping the bark off big ol' Hickory Trees! ;)

This grill is the favorite of the full-timers sailboat community.  Comes in gas or charcoal and has capability to become a stove to boil water, heat soup, etc.  You can get different mounting systems and the footprint is the size of a milk delivery plastic case.  I store mine in the milk case.  Great for two or three but nothing larger.  Very similar to weber smoky joe but all stainless and works exceptionally well in windy conditions.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_10697_Magma_Charcoal_Standard_Size_Grill.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom