Beartooth Pass - US 212

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black Max

Hi everyone:
We are planning a trip from Winnipeg Canada to Yellowstone NP.  We have been there a couple of times before usuallly crossing the Bighorn mountains around Buffalo WY and then going through Cody and Wapiti Valley.
We want to try the northeast entrance through the Beartooth Pass via US212, but have been told not to attempt this trip hauling a fifth wheel.
We are hauling a 32' fifth with a Chev Duramax.  Safety wise, I think it is OK.  Our concern is tunnel heights and the radius of the switchbacks. 
We have travellled the Colorado Million $ Highway, between Ouray, CO and Durango and some of those switchbacks were interesting.  My wife still talks about seeing the trailer's rear-end out the passenger side window!  We have hauled various trailers  for 22 years so we are reasonably experienced.
Has anyone else travelled over the Beartooth Pass with a large trailer?  What are your feelings about this route?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Having been over Beartooth Pass several times, never in the RV since I got more sense than that, I very strongly recommend parking the 5ver in Cody and visiting Beartooth in your truck by going North out of Cody to Chief Joseph highway to Beartooth highway to Redlodge.  Lunch in Redlodge then back to Cody.  IMHO this route has more scenic quality that Yellowstone.  Oh did I mention leave the 5ver in a campground.

I've been over it and I woulnd't pull a trailer there either. We stayed in a KOA, I believe in Red Lodge. Then we drove over so we could have time to look around and believe me it's worth  it. You can go into Cooke City for lunch, but plan on a whole day. There is a road that goes around the pass to get to Cody also.
When we were near the top there was a guy riding a bicycle going up and he was pretty close to the top. I bet the trip down was easier.

Should you decide to ignore the advice of others here, and take your 5th wheel (or motor home) over Beartooth Pass, get all your affairs in order FIRST.  Get your will up to date, say all your goodbye's, and your final arrangements in place.  Then and only then, take the last drive you will have.

Rex

Black Max said:
Thanks, Rex.  I got the message loud and clear.  :D
I will take the drive without the fiver.

Good idea!!! :) It is a beautiful drive in a toad. If you did take the 5er, AND survived (doubtful), you would not have a chance to even look at the scenery.

I just thought of something else. We were there in I believe the 2nd week of June and ran into snow and ice as we went up. People were still skiing at one spot. It was 60 deg when we left the campground. Later that week in Yellowstone we ran into 8" of snow in the morning.

been up there a few times, if you make it stop at the store at the top of the world. I like a thrill but that is pure foolishness. you could make a decent living fixing all the side walls of the goofs that do try it. I am pretty sure I have seen a worse switchback road. just cant remember where. you really will need more than a typical tow vehicle thats for sure....

I've been on that road by snowmobile when it's closed for the winter, and I'll echo comments that all others have made - best to take via car or truck, and best for scenery with someone else driving.

Do stop at Top of the World store.  It's a nifty place.

If you make it to Cooke City, Bearclaw Bob's has pretty decent pastries.

Back
Top Bottom