Best discount camping/RV park program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

Come this September we will hit the road on our first camping trip in many years. Plan to take a couple of trips this year, and several next year to include a trip across the US.

There are many discount camping programs out there; Good Sams, etc., but just wondering which one you guys have found to be the best, and offer the greates discounts for the lowest price overall for casual- other than full timing? Also, which has the most campgrounds/RV parks in their plan?

Thank you

We have used a number of discount program over the years.
The ones we now use almost always include:
Passport America- Greatest discount, up to 50 percent-about 1500-1700 RV parks- easy to use directory and Web site
Good Sam Trailer Life Directory-lists the most RV parks of any directory available
Good Sam Member-10 percent discount-Easy to use Trailer Life Directory and Web Site
KOA Directory-10 percent discount-lists all KOA RV Parks

We have Good Sam only for the campground discounts, and use it enough each year to pay for the membership.  But the best program overall is Passport America.  Half off at 1672 campgrounds.  Just 3 nights of usage will pay for the annual membership.

If you are thinking about GS for campground membership, wait to join until you get to a campground that offers the GS discount. Most of the time, signing up at the campground will get you the first nite free and a discounted membership price. We have found that our FMCA membership and PA gets us discounts at most parks at which we wind up staying that also have GS discounts, so we just let our GS membership lapse at the end of the year and then sign up again at a GS campground when needed.

Another vote here for Passport America, which often pays for itself after 2-3 uses.  They have a big directory of participating parks as mentioned, but using PA may still require that you arrange your trip somewhat around their parks.  We've found an outstanding campground in northern Pennsylvania through our membership, that we never would have known about otherwise.  So definitely check them out, and see how many of their parks are in the areas where you plan to travel.

Another vote for PA. And most parks who offer a GS discount will also offer a AAA discount. Sometimes you can get a senior, or vet discount. But have to ask.

So why pay for a GS membership. But if you do, you'll be stuck with junk mail for life.

Barb said:
So why pay for a GS membership. But if you do, you'll be stuck with junk mail for life.

I have found that if you log into GS website and go into your profile > "My communication preferences" and deselect the items this will cut down on the junk mail.

PA provides the best discount from all the ones we have but we find it hard to use for the way we travel. They are generally far off the route and most only offer the discount Sun - Thurs. We probably use the KOA discount the most for overnight stops because they are always the most convenient for easy/fast in and out.

GS CG's always seem to be our destination CG's for events. We use all of them at least enough to cover their membership fees.

Just joined PA last month.  Used it at Stone Mtn Campground where I got the first night at 1/2 price.  Saved $23 which is over half of the membership cost.  Plan to use PA on our trip in May & June. 

are Passport America's 50% for real??....or do camp grounds have an inflated price that they cut 50% when you say you are a PA member??

Not inflated so much as it allows them to fill otherwise vacant sites.  The half price allows them to recover the variable costs plus some profit.  The fixed costs are there whether a site is full or empty.

RV daytrader said:
are Passport America's 50% for real??....or do camp grounds have an inflated price that they cut 50% when you say you are a PA member??

50% for real, although parks are permitted to put restrictions on what nights the discount is in effect.  Some only let you use the discount Mon-Thurs, some only for a single night, some have no restrictions at all.  Most of the locations have the restrictions listed in the online directory, or you can contact them in advance and ask.  It's a good deal regardless, if you plan to be traveling around PA parks.

We've run into a couple of PA parks that charged half-off their regular price but then added on a $3 charge for electric when the regular nightly cost included electric. It was still a good deal so we didn't care. 3 stays typically pays for the annual cost of the PA card.

Wendy

Another vote for Passport America here. 

I bought 3 years last September and haven't used it yet, but based on my reservations for Florida in a couple of weeks, I'll have already saved well over the 3 year cost in that one vacation.  Anything else I save in the next 2.5 years is gravy. 

RV daytrader said:
are Passport America's 50% for real??....

we do not have a membership
still on the fence

from the reviewing of the PA website and the participating campground details...
- while you do get 50% off, you might not meet the stated criteria

READ THE FINE PRINT!

For example, the PA rate is only a specified night, or for a certain time of year
- have looked at some places - but the discount is not available on weekends - when we'd want to go there
- have looked at some places in WA - but the discount is not available in the summer months - when we'd want to go there
- have looked at some places in AZ - but the discount is not available in the winter months - when we'd want to go there

regards, peter

Peter,

Even with the restrictions we make back our membership each year and a little more.  We usually use it most on our travels to AZ/CA but now we have to travel to IL and VA we will use it even more.  Family is spreading out.  :(

BTW, even though the restrictions are stated we usually mention it along with Good Sam, FMCA, AARP and AAA when checking into a park.  Sometimes we get the PA even though the published restrictions say no.

We use PA quite often and easily recoup its price and more every year.  While some parks have restrictions, others do not, or they are very liberal. And as Jim says, they sometimes give the discount anyway.

I'll admit, though, that PA may not be for everyone. Those who camp only on busy summer weekends in high traffic areas may not find it useful. Afterall, the campground does not need to offer discounts for time periods when they are full anyway.

PA is a great program, some of the campgrounds will let you stay for more than 1 night at 50% off. We just used PA for 2 nights at the oaks in SC and then GS for 2 more nights. Sure is nice to save.

Another vote for PA.  Being fulltimers, with travel during our offtimes and that being limited, it still pays for itself.  We also have GS, KOA, and Camp Club.  OK, a little over the top, but we signed on with GS because the park we were going to stay at in Holbrook, AZ had a great monthly discount.  Then we didn't go there.  Will work on using it from here on.  PA has been great, once you get the hang of it.  We enrolled just before our trip west a couple years ago.  Parks were not where we were.  However, if you look ahead, you can make it work.  KOA because we kept ending up in one and didn't have the card.  Takes longer to make back the investment, probably won't re do that one.  CC, has been the fill in, if PA isn't available, CC is. 

Restrictions.  Some parks are just nuts, I just avoid those.

I feel that KOA's are over priced camp grounds. Most charge at least $50.00 a night. The plus side is they are usually located near a city/town you are visiting.

Scott  :)

from the reviewing of the PA website and the participating campground details...
- while you do get 50% off, you might not meet the stated criteria

READ THE FINE PRINT!

Not always true and not all campgrounds. We have one favorite campground in OR where we have stayed a number of times. It is a PA campground and we have received the PA discount for stays of a week and more, including over a weekend that was excluded in the CG listing. I think you'll find most PA members receive benefits in excess of their membership dues in spite of the limitations and exclusions.

Back
Top Bottom