Best generator for a 26' trailer trailer 30amp service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darrin65

We just purchased a new Grand design imagine 26' travel trailer and want to purchase a generator. what is the best option gas or propane and size? Would like to be able to run everything in the trailer when needed. 

We purchased a Honda 2000W generator and think it's wonderful.  It isn't enough to run the AC but it can easily run everything else.  I figure that if I need to use the AC then it's too hot to be camping anyway.  If I really wanted to run the AC then I could purchase a second Honda Companion unit and run the two in parallel.  90% of the time the single unit will suffice.  But you can have the second unit to run if you need it for those few instances.  Additionally, you can get the Honda for $1000 and the Honda Companion for $1100.  That $2100 sum is still less than most 4000W units you could purchase to run everything.  And the individual 2000W generators are nice and small and quiet, very easy to work with.  The bigger generators tend to be large and heavy and much louder.  Good luck.
(Side note:  If you purchase the Honda unit, be sure to run it dry or drain out the carburetor after each use.  Otherwise bad fuel can gum up the carb and it won't run right.  Lesson learned)

Propane generated are nice. But a 20lbs cylinder only last 12hr..... If noise is not ishue. The championship 3500 watt unit  is more then enough to run the AC and other appliances...... If noise is a ishue and money is not. 3000watt Honda inverter generator is the best

Gasoline versus Propane:  Gasoline is much easier to get and can be carted around in plastic containers (fuel tanks).
1 gallon of gasoline = 120,476 BTU's versus 1 gallon of propane = 91,333 BTU's.

Liquefied Petroleum Gases (LPG's) just aren't as efficient producers of energy as gasoline or diesel.

Those that run Champions love them, those that camp near them don't, I'm one of the latter.

HOLD THE BUS! It's Darrin65's first post! Lets find out what they plan to do with their first TT. If they have any past experience in RVing?
A newbie, an upgrade, all of the above...? What type of camping is planned?
I say a little more info to correctly answer this post.

denmarc said:
HOLD THE BUS! It's Darrin65's first post! Lets find out what they plan to do with their first TT. If they have any past experience in RVing?
A newbie, an upgrade, all of the above...? What type of camping is planned?
I say a little more info to correctly answer this post.

X2 !!

Do not buy one until you know you need one???

I just bought a duro max it's a cheap 350 dollar electric start propane and gas generator. I figure if it last a few years I got my money out of it. I'll let you know how it works When I try it out next week.

To "run everything" you need a genset capable of providing 30A (3600 watts) via a single outlet. Often a genset will be rated with enough wattage, but you can only get the full watts via either a 240v outlet (which your 30A trailer cannot utilize) or by using both of a pair of 15A outlets. Make sure the genset has a 30A/120v outlet. An inverter-type generator is the best for RVers because it can throttle back to reduced RPMs when loads are light, reducing noise and fuel consumption substantially.

Gas vs propane involves trade-offs. Propane has less energy than gasoline, so an LP (propane) genset uses for fuel to produce the same watts of power, and often the LP version of a genset will be rated for lower output than the gas version. And if you want a portable genset (likely, in a small trailer), LP is not a very practical option anyway because the portable tanks are bulky and heavy.  Gasoline is more widely available than LP, but you have to carry an extra container for it and carrying gas cans can be a hassle. Portable LP bottles are already designed for safe transport, but that is also why they are heavy and bulky. If you were thinking to run off the trailers own LP tanks, that is practical only for very limited use. LP gensets use too much propane to run very long from a pair of 20# or 30# bottles, and if you run out of propane you lose heat, stove and hot water as well as genset electric.

aguablanco said:
Take a look at the Champion 3100W inverter. It runs my AC very well.
RichH
X2. Mine starts my 15k just fine. I did put a hard start on first though.

I've read that Yamaha makes 2000i generators that are comparable to the Hondas but the Yamahas may have an easier or better jumper.

We have had a Yamaha 3000iSEB for about four years and really like it.  It has a 500 watt boost from the battery.  The dealer sells both Yamaha and Honda and I asked which was better.  His response, "do you like blue or red."  He commented that he rarely sees either of them come back with problems but when they do it is generally from old gas that was left over long periods of no use.  The only downside with these larger generators is their weight.  We have solved that by leaving it in the back of our truck and running it from there.  The truck has a topper so it is hard to know the generator is even running.  Keeping it in the truck also significantly reduces the risk of theft.

We have also used the generator to power needed house items during power outages.

I too searched and researched this purchase for my 24'er which has AC and if it's there I want to use it damn it! I came to the conclusion the Yamaha 3000sI EB is the cats meow.
Pros: has gasoline petcock allowing carb to be cleaned whenever l must return to WORK, ugh, good rate of fuel/ run time, as stated earlier has EB which is extra boost to get the AC over the initial startup, quiet running, can buy a remote start for another 275$ (would be nice)!
Cons: Heavy 150lbs, oil changes frequently, can't run coffee + AC. I'm very happy with my purchase. I looked at the much more portable Honda's but the no gas shut off and having to buy two in series just made more sense to buy one less motor.
Happy camping!

Simply awesome inverter generator, met every one or our specifications and has proved to be our comfort machine without breaking the bank.  Remote, fuel injected and awesome runtime.  With the fuel injection, no worry about any 'Econ' mode, this unit steps up for start/restart of 15K air con unit without problem.  I certainly don't have any motives to promote, other than we are absolutely thrilled with what we purchased.

Attachments

• ph4000Rie.jpg
    ph4000Rie.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom