Best internet solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodoo

Hi all, I'm just beginning to explore the nomad life. I'm looking for help in deciding what equipment to buy for internet while traveling. I don't want to rely on wifi at campsites as I don't plan on staying at them often. I prefer to boondock. So any help or direction from you veterans will be greatly appreciated. I've researched Must have Mobile. Sparks, Nomad and others but the reviews are not all that great depending on where you look.

The reason the reviews for each are not that great is because there isn’t a perfect, works well anywhere solution. We use two hotspots - one for T-Mobile/Sprint through FMCA (unlimited data) and a grandfathered plan from Verizon (unlimited, but network managed). we still find places with bad service. The campground we are in now is in a remote area outside a small town, and only the Verizon picks up anything, and it is just fast enough to do text-only pages. Think about your requirements: Work from the road? Streaming? Just keeping in touch with family and friends?

Most folks choose cell based internet. Verizon seems to be the best. If you have a smart phone it can become your wifi Hotspot for other devices.

Have you checked out the HughesNet options?

A lot depends on how you're going to use the Internet. Do you absolutely need 24/7 coverage to support remote work? Or is your need more to stream video and surf the web so occasionally being out of range is not a problem?

Mobile Internet Resource Center is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to figuring out what's going on with mobile internet. It's run by a fulltiming couple who have kept up with the constantly changing mobile market place for the past 10 years. They have lots of free information on their website, or you can become a member if you need to dive deeper.

Here's their intro video:
https://youtu.be/2giGtVyDN6k

I recently decided to go full time so I primarily use an iPad on my company TMobile account as a hot spot. Though I was already using the cellular data on the iPad for work anyways. I‘ve found that even binge watching YouTube in my downtime I still use more data pulling drawings and job site observation images go figure!

Everywhere I go at the moment has useable to great reception for my service but it may be worth it to have an alternate provider if your out and about.

Back
Top Bottom