Best Roomy Travel Trailers For Family of 3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachsuze71

Hi there everyone! My hubby and I are beginning our RV travel trailer research. We have a 5 year old boy who's very active so need a bump out 'or two' and preferably a bunk/hideout area for him opposite our bedroom. Looking for high quality, extra comfort and a bit of room for our family of 3. My husband would also love to have the exterior kitchen to grill and cook. I've looked at Jayco and the Hideouts, just so many choices. Looking to spend up to $30k tops! We will most likely be storing down at the beach near my parents and we live about 3 hours away. But eventually we'll probably get a bigger hauling vehicle and might begin to haul it more within a year or two...I'm open to suggestions! Thanks in advance! :)

I would look at as many units that fit into your needs, wants and desires as possible, paying close attention to the floor plans of each and choose the one with the floor plan you like best.  As to quality, the price guide you as in the RV world all things being equal between units the higher the price, generally the better built the unit is.

start your search here

http://www.rvtrader.com/

knowledge is power when you have looked and looked on-line, go to some dealerships and look and touch and feel its very subjective -its like saying what is the best car for a family of 3? i like grey lol ;D

What is your current tow vehicle?  That will definitely set the boundaries on what you can/should shop for, at least for now (since you mentioned possibly buying a larger tow vehicle in the future).

There are TONS of bunkhouse trailers out there, as they have been a common floorplan style for probably at least a decade.  Start checking your local Craigslist (almost guaranteed there is an RV/Automotive category in the For Sale area) and see what's out there.  A used RV paid for in cash is definitely what I would recommend, especially for a first time buyer.  New RV's depreciate like mad and you would be quickly upside down on any loan.  You can easily get a very nice unit for $10k or so, giving yourself a lot of headroom in the budget to see how you like RV'ing and if you think you might want something different in the future.

Look at as many units, and ask as many questions as you can (this forum is a great spot for that!) to keep on learning and researching!  You'll eventually find the perfect rig for your budget, needs, and floorplan desires. :)

Look at a lot of them and as said above ask questions.  If you find something that is perfect go for it.  That said many RV purchases are a compromise of one thing or another.  Another option would be like we did and find a buy on a good used RV (I know that can be a lot of work too) and give it a try to determine what it is you really want/need.  My guess is there are a LOT of people who think they know what they want so buy new and after giving it a try for a year or so decide they really want/need something different.  As you are probably aware most RV's are like cars and take a huge depreciation hit the first year or two.

Good luck in your search.

Hi would like to share our experience. We were in the same boat as You. Had a small pup and it was not really enjoyable decided to purchase a USED Jayco 29bhs (2006) and could not have been happier we saved over 1/2 the original price it was about 5years old the original price was around $24,000 it base plenty of room it also came with what is k own as a Minnie slide which is the sofa area really opened up the space. The DW really fell in love. We thought about purchasing a new on but decided why. If we are only going to live in it a few weekends an a couple of week's a year why take out a mortgage on one we can pull this one with our 2008 F150 quiet well. There are lots of choices don't mortgage the farm on one. Yes you will have to spend a little cash on a used one ( tires,curtains,brakes) but we still saved about $10,000 over the price of a new one

Much good info has already been shared.

The MOST IMPORTANT  factor in any camper purchase is Floor plan, Floor plan, Floor plan!!

The quality of the product when new is shown in the price, regardless of brand.  The business is very competitive and the all build to a price point.  Most manufacturers buy their components - chassis, brakes, axles, stove, furnace, water heater, A/C, toilet, microwave, etc from the same two or three suppliers.

BUY USED !!
  Let somebody else eat that big depreciation bill!
  You can buy a nice new TT for $20,000, or buy a GREAT 2 or 3  year old, sold new for $35,000, much nicer and better built camper for the same $20,000.
  Almost all new units come from the factory with multiple defects.  They are fixed under warranty, but you still make payments while it spends a month or more waiting for the repairs.  LET SOMEBODY ELSE GET IT FIXED.
  Most folks love camping, but many quickly decide they do not love their camper, and trade for something different after a year or two.  If you buy new and trade your up side down camper, it can get very expensive.  If you put a good down payment into the deal, and buy used, it will not be nearly as expensive.

Enjoy the hunt!!

Take your time and really look around  there are many manufacturers out there, then select the ONE that fits the needs for your family. Also as stated be sure the TV can pull it with no problem, also if buying from a dealer make sure he is honest ,  dependable and able to any repairs or warranty work (if buying new)this is really important Good luck on the search...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millsk
Back
Top Bottom