Best route around Baltimore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I know this has been hashed out in the post for the bridge accident but I thought it would be easier to start another post dedicated to the best route.
I will be heading north on 95 end of April. Can anyone tell me the fastest and easiest route to avoid i95 through Baltimore.
I went to AAA and they had me going over the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel but the instructions and the route were so confusing. Hopefully someone out there has the best route and has tried it in the last week or so just after the accident

Google maps will be your most live, current, best route at time of driving. safe travels

I know this has been hashed out in the post for the bridge accident but I thought it would be easier to start another post dedicated to the best route.
I will be heading north on 95 end of April. Can anyone tell me the fastest and easiest route to avoid i95 through Baltimore.
I went to AAA and they had me going over the Chesapeake bridge/tunnel but the instructions and the route were so confusing. Hopefully someone out there has the best route and has tried it in the last week or so just after the accident
Simplest, On NB I-95, When you get to Emporia, VA, follow US 58 Eastbound to I-64 at Norfolk, then take I-64 East toward Chesapeake, and the Airport.
us58toI64.jpg
Exit 64 at US 13 northbound. That will take you all the way to Wilmington and I-95 northbound.
to13.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just stay on I-95 straight through town? Easy.

You could also get on I-895 and go around the city, and get back on I-95 northeast of town.

Thanks that’s what I was looking for. It sounds so simple compared to the directions AAA gave me. Thanks

You could also get on I-895 and go around the city, and get back on I-95 northeast of town.
I’d be happy to take one of those routes if I know of someone who’s done it in the last week. Have you tried going all the way up I-95 in the last week. If you have, then I would be interested.

Last edited:
Does I 95 have live traffic cameras?
I just googled I95 traffic cameras in Baltimore and came up with several. Thanks Arch. What a great idea. I’m going to monitor them daily until we go home. I’ll be going through on a Sunday morning probably around 6:00 AM so that should help also. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Well, I've made a point of avoiding I-95 through Baltimore for a number of years.
With the Key Bridge out, that will be an even better idea.
But then, I tend to avoid I-95 between Miami and Portsmouth, New Hampshire, except for local traffic situations.

Google will tell you that it's an hour longer to take 58 and 13 up the DelMarVa, but that is mostly a difference is speed limits, and I cannot remember the last time I drove I-95 through Virginia and Maryland without being caught in a significant stoppage that cost an hour or more.

Well we made our trek from FL back to NH the last two days. We ended up taking I 95 all the way. I was concerned that I95 going through Baltimore would be a nightmare. As it turned out, going through the tunnel, there was only one other car in the tunnel besides mine. Of course it was 10:00 AM on a Sunday. It may be a nightmare during the week.
Just before heading into the tunnel looking off to the east, we were able to see the part of the bridge that had not collapsed. It was very foggy so we weren’t able to see the middle span that’s on top of the ship or the ship M/V Dali.

Sunday is a good day to travel through most of the big towns. Unless, of course, the Town is an NFL town with a Home game that particular Sunday. Then, all bets are off.

Sunday is a good day to travel through most of the big towns. Unless, of course, the Town is an NFL town with a Home game that particular Sunday. Then, all bets are off.
Just time your trip so you go through during the game, not before or after.

Saturday's when Alabama is at home, Tuscaloosa is a ghost town except at the stadium.

Were you carrying propane? If so did they check you going thru the tunnel??
I was in my car. No propane and there was no one around to check. At least 10 miles before the tunnels, there are signs stating no propane. Now if someone was towing a trailer and made it as far as the tunnel entrance, they may have gotten stopped because obviously they would have propane

Thanks I thought I missed something. ;)
guess I'm going to have to take rt 13 or 301 south from Wilmington and then use the Chesapeake BB&T to get to Richmond.
Safe travels and all the best.

Thanks I thought I missed something. ;)
guess I'm going to have to take rt 13 or 301 south from Wilmington and then use the Chesapeake BB&T to get to Richmond.
Safe travels and all the best.
What day of the week would you be traveling? For sure if it was on I weekend, I would go I-95 unless you’d be in a rv.

What day of the week would you be traveling? For sure if it was on I weekend, I would go I-95 unless you’d be in a rv.
Will most definitely be in an RV. I'll be comming north from Richmond and will most likely have to cut over to 301 or 13 going north... Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom