Best route from Palm Desert, CA to Las Vegas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleandKarla

Hello!
What are your recommendations from traveling from Palm Desert to Las Vegas for a large diesel pusher class A? It looks like the most direct route is across the Mojave Trails National Monument and through the Mojave National Preserve, but we're a little nervous about small roads with little/no shoulder. Maybe 10-177-62-95 is a better option even if a little further? Other options?
Thank you!
Dale and Karla

I-10 to I-215 and then north to I-15 will shave a few miles off your trip compared to staying on 10 all the way to I-15. Like gthomas said, time your trip to pass through mid-day ... say between 10 am and 3 pm to avoid the worst of the traffic which can significantly increase the travel time. If you had a smaller rig I'd suggest going through the Mojave National Monument but the roads there may be a bit narrow in places and there will be few places to stop.

10-177-62-95 is a good option to avoid LA traffic and if you include likely delays going through the LA basin may not take any longer. Good two lane roads and light traffic the entire way, mostly level versus going up and over Cajon Pass. 95 between I-10 and I-40 is a popular shortcut so you may be following a few trucks. As soon as you enter Nevada 95 becomes a 4 lane divided highway, made so to encourage travel to Laughlin. Note you'll enter Las Vegas on the east side of town which may or may not be an advantage depending on where you'll be staying - there are several large and reasonably priced RV parks along Boulder Highway. Also going this way gives you the opportunity to visit Lake Havasu City and/or Laughlin to break up the trip.

I-10 to I-215 and then north to I-15 will shave a few miles off your trip compared to staying on 10 all the way to I-15. Like gthomas said, time your trip to pass through mid-day ... say between 10 am and 3 pm to avoid the worst of the traffic which can significantly increase the travel time. If you had a smaller rig I'd suggest going through the Mojave National Monument but the roads there may be a bit narrow in places and there will be few places to stop.

10-177-62-95 is a good option to avoid LA traffic and if you include likely delays going through the LA basin may not take any longer. Good two lane roads and light traffic the entire way, mostly level versus going up and over Cajon Pass. 95 between I-10 and I-40 is a popular shortcut so you may be following a few trucks. As soon as you enter Nevada 95 becomes a 4 lane divided highway, made so to encourage travel to Laughlin. Note you'll enter Las Vegas on the east side of town which may or may not be an advantage depending on where you'll be staying - there are several large and reasonably priced RV parks along Boulder Highway. Also going this way gives you the opportunity to visit Lake Havasu City and/or Laughlin to break up the trip.
Thank you so much, Lou! I appreciate the detailed advice!

Back
Top Bottom