Best Time To Visit Yellowstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 1988 about 2/3rd of Yellowstone caught fire. It burned all summer long. The Army, Navy, Air Force and a bunch of other agencies fought to put it out and failed. In September it started snowing and that put the fires out. So if you go in September don't forget your tire chains, skis, parkas and snowmobile.

Personally I always go in either July, July or July.

We've been to Yellowstone two times in September and the weather was perfect.  However, as Seiler mentioned, you have to be ready for any kind of weather ... including snow.

Margi

IMHO mid to late September or before Memorial day are the best times to go there.  Mid June, July, August and early Sept seem to have the largest crowds.  I have been snowed on in Sept and early June, but so far I haven't needed chains.

It can snow any month of the year in Yellowstone. Three years ago we had snow in July and September. It didn't last long. The last two years it snowed in late October. Still didn't accumulate a lot but two years ago it was tough driving for about 100 miles.

September is a good month but there are still quite a few people. Definitely better than July. If you make it, stop in at the Old Faithful Visitor's Education Center and say hi. We work in the Yellowstone Association Park Store in the center. Pancake Bill and his wife also work there.

We live 90 miles north and mid September to late October are  great times of the year here.  Many things in Yellowstone close after labor day but it is a great trip in mid September and a week either side.

What was said about snow is true for most of western Montana, it can snow or freeze anytime of the year.  I have attended rodeos on July 4th sitting in a snow storm and at other times it was over 100?.  This is in Livingston MT.

Remember we are near or above the 45th parallel so are half way to the north pole and most of western MT is high mountains.

I live within a couple miles of Jim and I agree with his comments. The first couple of weeks of September is a great time to visit YNP.  Actually anytime you can get there is great. Some of the facilities in the park do start closing after Labor Day and you do need to be prepared for  changing weather.

One of the most beautiful times to see the park is in the winter. Access to the Canyon and Old Faithful areas is limited to snowcoach or snowmobile while you can still drive on the only road open to autos between Mammoth and Cooke City across the north side of the park.

The best time for a visit is when you can get there with plenty of time so you are not rushed. One visit won't be enough no matter how long you spend, however. Plan on a return trip or two.....or more!

Thought I would weigh in.  Sept and early Oct, can be snow or the most pleasant weather you can experience.  At this time the elk are in the rut and the meadows turn to gold.  Earlier in season, May through June you will see many of the newborn animals. They are cute and they play.  Great time to be here.

I am in Yellowstone now.  Winter is magical.  Not for an RV, although there are RV parks open in West Yellowstone, so some do it.  No crowds but expensive to get in on a snow coach.

Attached is a picture of the Visitor Center, where the Dicks and Jolene and I work, along with one of the over snow vehicles, (operated by AlpenGuides), which are the main way of travel in the park.

Personally I always go in either July, July or July.  Thought you would have learned.  learned.  learned...

Attachments

• _MG_3036.jpg
    _MG_3036.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 55
We were at Yellowstone in August last year, Park was not all that crowded and traffic was o.k.,until a bear or buffalo was spotted,then all traffic stoped to look. We stayed a week and camped in Cody. Enjoy your trip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom