Beware of Filling Big Rigs in Indiana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

When fueling, we always fill up at the pumps the truckers use as many times the areas for fueling cars, even in truck stops, are not big enough or are not configured for us to get the 40' DP and Tahoe toad into (at least not easily).

We were in Indiana yesterday needing fuel so we went to a Love's and pulled into the pumps the truckers use.  I went in to give the attendant a cash deposit so she would turn on the pumps.  She asked for my ICC/DOT number.  When I told her we were a private motorhome and we did not have an ICC/DOT number, she told me we would have to go to the "gas side" where there was diesel to fill up.  I was flabbergasted as we have never been refused service in the truckers side of the pumps.

A truck driver told me it was because some trucking companies were not paying the fuel taxes and Indiana was cracking down.  He said other states were doing it also.  Fortunately, we had enough fuel and I told the attendant we would go to Kentucky to fill up.

Does anyone know of any other states which will not let motorhomes fuel on truckers side - either requiring an ICC/DOT number or for any other reason?

I try not to stop at any Love's for fuel.  The RV pumps aren't large enough for our rig either.  #7 1/2' MH and 24' trailer don't work in their lots.  I've made it a practice to also check the maps for Flying J's and judge my stops accordingly.  Sometimes they are tight but at least I can get thru.

It's not IN, it's common at Love's not to allow RVs at the truck pumps.

Well, I can tell you, the Loves stores in Oklahoma will take your money with a smile.  I have no problems locally.

Jeff

Ned said:
It's not IN, it's common at Love's not to allow RVs at the truck pumps.

I wonder if this is just in states where there is a difference with pricing between big rigs and RVs? I have used Loves without a problem but not in those states.

I have a Love's rewards card but have never been able to get it to take at the pump. I just put in my CC and when I go to get my receipt they take my Love's card and put on the points. I have always found them very friendly every time I have used Loves.

I was refused at truck pumps at Rip Griffins in AZ and had to go to RV pumps.

We avoid Loves because IMHO they are NOT RV friendly or interested our  RV business.  We try to use Fling J whenever possible.  Yes Loves will do whatever they can to keep RV/s from the truck islands.  There is an easy solution though,, JUST AVOID LOVES like we do.

I'm not familiar with those states, but would it be because the fuel tax rate is different for trucks so the pumps are setup differently?  Just a guess...

I think in AZ that commercial vehicles fuel are taxed at a higher rate than recreational vehicles. In fact you can get a discount off the posted pump price if not commercial.......

We also have used Loves before and never had a problem.  A truck driver told me it is an Indiana law.  BTW, the truck driver gave me his ICC/DOT number and told me to use it.  I didn't since the attendant already knew I was in a MH, the truck driver had just filled up so there was probably a record of that ICC/DOT number just being used and I didn't know what the penalty was for lying about the ICC/DOT number (I don't look good in prison stripes  ;)). 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom