Big Bend Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2x

I'm trying to find a spot in (or near) Big Bend National Park that can accommodate a 36' Itasca with water and electricity.  Also a spot to overnight in trip from Austin, Tx.  There are two dogs too.  Thanks, Beau

This link will open Google maps showing the campgrounds around Big Bend.  Most of the campgrounds outside the park have hookups.  Del Rio is just over half way from Austin to Big Bend and has numerous campgrounds.

Lajitas at the southwestern end of Big Bend has a full hookup resort with pool etc.  North of Big Bend, the town of Terlinqua also has RV campgrounds.  Big Bend is a very large national park so you will drive relatively long distances to go from, for example, Terlinqua to Rio Grande Village within the park.

ArdraF

While you're in the area, I highly recommend McDonald Observatory and Ft Davis.  Got me wanting to go back to Big Bend again.  :)

Frizlefrak said:
While you're in the area, I highly recommend McDonald Observatory and Ft Davis.  Got me wanting to go back to Big Bend again.  :)
Me too...a bust at the observatory on our trip. Storm clouds had moved in with flash floods and everything that comes with them.
Need to go back for that alone.

bobsharon said:
Me too...a bust at the observatory on our trip. Storm clouds had moved in with flash floods and everything that comes with them.
Need to go back for that alone.

Bummer....We got lucky, clear night with no moon.  It's definitely worth going back for.

Anyone camp at Big Bend in the winter?  I'm planning a trip around Christmas/ New Years, and was wondering what the weather is like.  Weather.com shows Dec average low of 37F and avg high of 62F, but that can mean a lot of things.  Any idea what the chances of ti being <40s during the day, or <30F at night?  Should I expect it will be winter-coat-wearing weather during the daytime in late Dec?

Thank you!

chrishibbard7 said:
Any idea what the chances of ti being <40s during the day, or <30F at night?  Should I expect it will be winter-coat-wearing weather during the daytime in late Dec?

Thank you!

It could happen but it's uncommon. The desert floor is the warmest part. One time we visited in mid February and it was in the low 80s on the desert and the upper 60s in the basin (up in the Chisos Mountains). Earlier that winter they had an ice storm up in the mountains that caused lots of tree limb damage. The desert floor, that year had an early flower growth that was spectacular through the end of February. Usually the best time for flowers is in March.

got back today high 40's night 70's in the day, check out Stillwell store and rv 7 miles from the park entrance on FM 2627    http://stillwellstore.com/

thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!  Any trouble with smugglers/ violence/ crime in the park?

I hear there's a horse ride you can take inside the park that takes you into Mexico with passport, but I have no idea if it's safe for wife + bunch of kids...

chrishibbard7 said:
thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!  Any trouble with smugglers/ violence/ crime in the park?

I hear there's a horse ride you can take inside the park that takes you into Mexico with passport, but I have no idea if it's safe for wife + bunch of kids...

You won't have any problems.  Down there, nobody is in any big hurry to get from either side of the border to the other....

Back
Top Bottom