Big Chages Coming To Reserve America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think it would be relatively easy to limit reservations that are made through RA for the same date(s), at different locations, and under the same name or possibly with the same credit card account. It wouldn't have to block multiple reservations, but it could require some sort of inconvenient hoop jumping to discourage it. At the same time it could possibly block any bots that might be developed. However, it won't happen since RA makes money off cancellations (probably more than a completed reservation), so it would not be in RA's best interest.

Molaker said:
I would think it would be relatively easy to limit reservations that are made through RA for the same date(s), at different locations, and under the same name or possibly with the same credit card account. It wouldn't have to block multiple reservations, but it could require some sort of inconvenient hoop jumping to discourage it. At the same time it could possibly block any bots that might be developed. However, it won't happen since RA makes money off cancellations (probably more than a completed reservation), so it would not be in RA's best interest.

stopping cancellations completely will stop all this.

If for some reason you can not get there you lose it all, if they can re-book it you loose the first day,  or it stays empty and you pay for the week...you reserve 5 places you pay for five even if none of your friends can make it.

sorry,.. you should do a better job of scheduling things.

sightseers said:

If for some reason you can get there you lose it all, if they can re-book it you loose the first day,  or it stays empty and you pay for the week...you reserve 5 places you pay for five even if none of your friends can make it.

Yep, just like the time I had to cancel a reservation when I had to have emergency surgery. I should have planned better.

sightseers said:

If for some reason you can not get there you lose it all, if they can re-book it you loose the first day,  or it stays empty and you pay for the week...you reserve 5 places you pay for five even if none of your friends can make it.

There are many legitimate reasons that require people need to cancel advance reservations. When my wife was diagnosed with cancer, I canceled about three months of reservations while we sorted out her treatment. We had paid in full for those reservations, and if we hadn't gotten a significant portion of that money back, it would have seriously impacted our bank account with the added burden of her medications, doctors, and hospital visits. Please tell me how you would "do a better job of scheduling" something like that...

I like RA. But we use it mainly local with our state parks. I usually know which site I want. I will say I contacted them about some desrcpiency or clarity on there handicap sites. They did not have them listed well enough on there site and people were reserving them then being removed from the site. They called me and we're concerned and then contacted the SP and it was fixed on website in and couple months. Suprised me.

Yes, many of us know medical emergencys are expensive in so many ways, they often bankrupt people. 

As it did to my wife and I.  We lost the house any everything, so now we are fighting for a spaces at campgrounds.

sightseers said:
Yes, many of us know medical emergencys are expensive in so many ways, they often bankrupt people. 

As it did to my wife and I.  We lost the house any everything, so now we are fighting for a spaces at campgrounds.

Look for sites in the less popular parks. Even Florida still has sites available for the winter in various state and national parks.

NY_Dutch said:
Look for sites in the less popular parks. Even Florida still has sites available for the winter in various state and national parks.

The less popular parks in California are referred to as " The Desert"  .. ;)

UTTransplant said:
Ahh but the Mohave is beautiful in the winter.

Yes it is,  My Daughter just bought a brand new house outside of Rosamond,  The sunsets,  the stars, the desert storms,  the grandkids.  I could do it.

It ain't no Pismo or Big Sur , but it certainly has it's own beauty.

UTTransplant said:
Ahh but the Mohave is beautiful in the winter.
Mojave and apparently you've never lived there. :)  You will begin to hate the wind and blowing sand. It can be incessant. And then there are the sand burrs. :(

Living in the desert winds is similar to living with the Seattle rain,  you end up doing more stuff inside.

sightseers said:
Living in the desert winds is similar to living with the Seattle rain,  you end up doing more stuff inside.
I lived up there, too. Whidbey Island to be specific. And, yep, it rains...a lot.

sightseers said:
I'm thinking all campgounds should be 1st come 1st served.  Good campground spaces are often reserved months ahead and then advertised for sale.
Since we are retired and can show up on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday and stay through the weekend we would love for all campsites to be first come first serve.

However back in the 1970's and 1980's, when we went on vacation with the kids, we wanted to stay in National Forest campgrounds.  However there was no reservation system back then.  The nicer campgrounds were filled up with old retired folks spending the summer.  They would stay their 14 days in one campground, move to another CG in the same area.  They cycled through 5 or 6 CG's and spend the summer in the cool mountains.  The camp hosts old retired folks as well supported the process.  What ever sites were not occupied by the retirees were taken by the locals. 

We would have loved the reservation system then. 

Back
Top Bottom