Biggest turning radius

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
Betty,

Tell Terry we can have a contest to see who has the biggest turning radius!! BG

Ken

btw, thanks again for the slide show. It was great - I hope we can go in a couple of years

Ken

>>Tell Terry we can have a contest to see who has the biggest turning radius!! BG<<

I believe my turning circles are still at our site from years ago when I was setting my electronic compass.? Unless they truck in the actual Queen Mary to compete, I will win by a huge margin.<G>

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Bernie

The contest is for the largest turning diameter not the smallest & with your IFS you wouldn't stand a chance. For example Russ who has the same coach as mine except he has IFS can turn inside of me.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Terry A. Brewer said:
Bernie

The contest is for the largest turning diameter not the smallest & with your IFS you wouldn't stand a chance. For example Russ who has the same coach as mine except he has IFS can turn inside of me.

Terry

Actually, it isn't the IFS that determines the turning radius, it is the suspension design. My UltraSport had a solid front axle but a 50? turning angle. My Spartan chassis with IFS has an older design front suspension and only a 45? angle (the current model has between 52 and 55?) and a much larger turning radius.

We could probably calculate the winner just by comparing specs; length of wheelbase and degree of angle of front suspension.  I'm back in the contest ;D ;D

This is one contest I DON'T want to enter, let alone win.  Of course, our Freightliner, even without IFS, will turn inside of all of you big dogs :)

Ned said:
This is one contest I DON'T want to enter, let alone win.  Of course, our Freightliner, even without IFS, will turn inside of all of you big dogs :)

You have the same Freightliner chassis I had on the UltraSport with the 50? steering cut. I almost wiped out my TS with it's IFS the first time I tried to make a real tight turn ;D :mad:

Got spoiled with the FL, didn't you, Bernie :)

Bernie

>>My Spartan chassis with IFS has an older design front suspension and only a 45? angle <<

I didn't realize there was an IFS system with that poor of turning angle. By the way my Magna is between 40-42 degrees.

Terry
At Clark fork, ID

Terry A. Brewer said:
I didn't realize there was an IFS system with that poor of turning angle. By the way my Magna is between 40-42 degrees.

Terry

Contrary to some popular belief, it isn't the IFS that gives you a smaller turning radius, it is the design of the suspension. IFS does permit a higher degree cut, but only if the designer wills it :mad:

You and I both have older designs that turn much wider than the Freightliner solid axles, but I lose, I can turn sharper ;D ;D

You and I both have older designs that turn much wider than the Freightliner solid axles, but I lose, I can turn sharper 

Whadda contest!  A bunch of motor homers trying to prove that they have a turning radius like the Queen Mary.    You guys don't have a turning radius, you have a great circle course.  ;D

Carl Lundquist said:
Whadda contest! A bunch of motor homers trying to prove that they have a turning radius like the Queen Mary. You guys don't have a turning radius, you have a great circle course. ;D

Carl,

But heck, we do have fun!

Ken

Carl

>>You guys don't have a turning radius, you have a great circle course. <<

In some campgrounds it feels as if I am piloting a super oil tanker...especially when Russ is around maneuvering like a sports car.<G>

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Bernie:  I did wipe out my toad while making a sharp turn into a campground.  Pushed the fender in on the Jeep and broke the grill.  I now have an extension on the towbar to set the Jeep back further.  The Freightliner Chassis we have I think is a 50degree.

fredethomas said:
Bernie:  I did wipe out my toad while making a sharp turn into a campground.  Pushed the fender in on the Jeep and broke the grill.  I now have an extension on the towbar to set the Jeep back further.  The Freightliner Chassis we have I think is a 50degree.

Fred

I have a 12" extension left over from my UltraSport, it had a sharper turning radius (same 50? chassis as yours) and the hitch receiver was too far under the rear bumper..

Terry:    " In some campgrounds it feels as if I am piloting a super oil tanker...especially when Russ is around maneuvering like a sports car."

Te He

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom