Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP in Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeCoke

We were just up at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP in Colorado & when we arrived on Sept 20 the weather was nice & we went on a rim hike on Sept 21. That night it started raining & was only raining when I checked at 3am that night but when we got up there was 8 inches of heavy wet Snow on the ground & the Snow had knocked out the Elect. power to the Park.
The park has a nice 3 loop campground & loop B has 30 & 50 amp elect.hookups.
Here is one Pic of the Snow that fell between 3am to 9am Friday Sept 22, 2006 and it was still snowing.

There are more pic on my web page.
http://we2rv.com/BlackCanyon/album/

Mike

Attachments

• d-Friday9-22pic1.jpg
    d-Friday9-22pic1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 48
That is one of my favorite motorcycle areas although I have to admit when I have been there snow was not an issue.  It sure is beautiful but I have to admit being further South is better.  How long was the power out?  Did you expect this storm?  How'd you guys stay warm.  What an adventure!  Phil

motojavaphil said:
How long was the power out?? Did you expect this storm?? How'd you guys stay warm.? What an adventure!? Phil

Power went out about 6 am (or at least that's what the ranger told us....we sure weren't awake at 6 am to notice). We left the park around noon and it still wasn't back on. We did meet up with another couple later (at Colorado Nat'l Monument) and they said the power came back on a couple of hours after we left. We did not expect the snow....all our snow gear was nice and warm at home in Cortez. How did we stay warm? Jumped back into bed :)

Thanks Russ.....this really is a great Christmas card picture and I never even thought of it !!

That reminds me of a fall fund raiser weekend we spent in Alamosa manning the phones for KRZA, the local NPR station.

It was clear Friday evening when we arrived!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom