Black/Grey water release question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billb08

Looking for a little expertise in solving this.  Had our TT for almost a year.  When I break down camp, I start with releasing the black tank valve.  Let it run till empty.  Then, I flush the grey to rinse out the hose a bit.  I then do a black tank flush for about 10-15 minutes.  I shut the hose off, disconnect, and leave the black tank open for about 10 minutes to make sure everything is out.  I shut the valve, disconnect the sewer hose, and replace the cap.  Sometimes, I'll pour about a gallon of fresh water in the toilet with a sanitizing tablet and leave it in.  The past 2 times I have backed into a camp site to set up, I have taken off the cap to attach the sewer hose, and about a quart of black,grey come spilling out.  I can't think of what might be the cause of this.  Thanks in advance.

One of your drain valves is leaking a little. It?s imminent. If you have easy access to the valves, it?s easy to disassemble the valves and replace the seals.
Another thing you can do is install a spin on valve on the end of the sewer pipe which will act as a back up valve to stop the fluids from exiting the pipe.

I had a hole in the middle of my grey tank valve door.  couldn't figure out why it was leaking till I replaced.  I should have taken a picture.

Mine has that issue, but with the grey valve. The previous owner "fixed" this by adding a valve on the end. Each time I open that valve, but not the black or grey, about a quart (the volume between the grey valve and the output valve) comes out. Slow leak.

I'm brand new and have asked similar question without detail or problems. But to take a step forward, It was recommended to me to put a bag, or several bags of ice down the toilet to ' clean it out' a little more I assume? That said, if you were to do that at then end after all steps you mentioned are complete,  would that water be ok staying until next camping trip? The person that told me this said would be good traveling down the road and that ice slopping and swooshing around. Question is. If you do that on way to storage is it ok to leave that until next trip? Or do you need to dump again?

There's a guy who did a test on what ice would do in a tank. The end results were pretty much useless.
Also adding some ice into a tank that probably has 75 degree water, how long do you think the ice would last before it melts.
Any water left in the tank would be good. The water would keep the seals in the drain valve lubricated. After dumping, I always add at least 5 gallons of water in all my tanks.

Update: I just found the video:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cleaning+a+rv+tank+with+ice&oq=cleaning+a+rv+tank+with+ice&aqs=chrome..69i57.14801j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_BtwDX8qmKdKpytMP_pqDeA47

I have a leaky valve which is hidden well under insulation.  The previous owner's fix, which works very well, is a gate valve on the end of the sewer line.  To dump, remove the cap, attach stinky slinky, other end in dump port, then open the end gate valve.  Everything is connected before there is any opportunity for a spill.  Then I open the black valve, etc.  If this valve leakes, there is only a pint of space between the cap and gate, and the valve is very accessible for repair.

I rinse my black tank by closing the valve and adding 10 - 20 gal to the tank, then dumping again.  Repeat as needed.  When done, open the gray tank valve.  Also, ADD 5 GAL TO THE BLACK TANK with the rinse.  This keeps the tank wet and forms a welcoming committee for new deposits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom