Blackstone Griddle - Game Changer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FunSteak

It's entirely likely we are late to the party, but we recently got a 22", two burner Blackstone griddle with lid, and it is amazing!

Yeah, it's a bit heavy and bulky, but it's fantastic to cook on. One surprise is that we now use much less water for dishwashing - pots and pans take a lot! Since we're doing lots of cooking on the griddle now, there's a lot less to wash. Since we do a lot of boondocking, this is a very nice perk we didn't think of.

We've had it on two trips so far. Below are a couple of photos from the first one, as I was seasoning it for the first time. Looks way more seasoned now after cooking on it for a while.

It includes the connection for one pound green propane bottles. Didn't take long to realize that a one pounder is only good for maybe three or four meals. I got the hose to connect a standard BBQ tank, 20 pounder, and that should last most of the season. I jammed it into a milk crate for transport so it doesn't roll around, and it's working fine so far.

Anyone else a convert to one of these? I now have no desire to get a grill - this thing is just great for everything we've tried on it.

Blackstone1.png Blackstone2.png

It's entirely likely we are late to the party, but we recently got a 22", two burner Blackstone griddle with lid, and it is amazing!

Yeah, it's a bit heavy and bulky, but it's fantastic to cook on. One surprise is that we now use much less water for dishwashing - pots and pans take a lot! Since we're doing lots of cooking on the griddle now, there's a lot less to wash. Since we do a lot of boondocking, this is a very nice perk we didn't think of.

We've had it on two trips so far. Below are a couple of photos from the first one, as I was seasoning it for the first time. Looks way more seasoned now after cooking on it for a while.

It includes the connection for one pound green propane bottles. Didn't take long to realize that a one pounder is only good for maybe three or four meals. I got the hose to connect a standard BBQ tank, 20 pounder, and that should last most of the season. I jammed it into a milk crate for transport so it doesn't roll around, and it's working fine so far.

Anyone else a convert to one of these? I now have no desire to get a grill - this thing is just great for everything we've tried on it.

View attachment 165233 View attachment 165234
We love ours! In fact we now have it set up on the back patio and use it two to three times a week.

I've had the 17" model for about 3 years now and love it. I bought an adapter to bypass the regulator and run it off the quick-connect on the camper. Our new camper came with a knockoff brand ("Greystone" - genius marketing right there!) so now I keep the Blackstone at home hooked up to a 20# tank and don't have to lug it back and forth. I do still like to have a grill with me, too, though, since I find I still like to cook certain things on it - chicken kebobs, for example.

I've had the 17" model for about 3 years now and love it. I bought an adapter to bypass the regulator and run it off the quick-connect on the camper. Our new camper came with a knockoff brand ("Greystone" - genius marketing right there!) so now I keep the Blackstone at home hooked up to a 20# tank and don't have to lug it back and forth. I do still like to have a grill with me, too, though, since I find I still like to cook certain things on it - chicken kebobs, for example.

We agonized over 17" vs. 22", as I'm careful about adding any new large or heavy items to our kit. Since we often cook for others, we went with the 22", and I'm glad we did. It's worked out perfectly so far.

I have one in my garage and pull it out occasionally to cook breakfast if we have a lot of people or if I have extra time on a very nice day to save cleaning in the kitchen. It is in our plans to build a covered outdoor kitchen and if we do it will be out there all the time. You are right about the smaller bottles and am surprised you got that many meals out of it. I used up one just during the seasoning process. As much as I like it I am still a grill guy for most things.

The TT we had for a while had one built into the side and we never took a camping trip where we did not use that a bunch.

We agonized over 17" vs. 22", as I'm careful about adding any new large or heavy items to our kit. Since we often cook for others, we went with the 22", and I'm glad we did. It's worked out perfectly so far.
If I remember correctly there is not much of a price difference and the 22" has 2 burners compared to 1 the 17" has which I think would be much better. I have the 22" one that I got for Christmas a few years back and I think it is a good size.

If I remember correctly there is not much of a price difference and the 22" has 2 burners compared to 1 the 17" has which I think would be much better. I have the 22" one that I got for Christmas a few years back and I think it is a good size.
Yes, 22" was not that much more, and I'm glad we went with it. Sure it's heavier and bulkier, but I've filled it right up a few times, so the space is appreciated. Plus, two burners is nice for heat control.

You are right about the smaller bottles and am surprised you got that many meals out of it. I used up one just during the seasoning process.

I used 90% of one while seasoning, then was careful afterwards. I guess it's probably more like 2-3 meals if using both burners. 20 pounder is WAY better.

Have had our 17" unit for 5 years and love it.. While camping we have made all sorts of things. We have seared steaks, cooked italian sausage, made biscuits, eggs, bacon, pancakes, pizza, shrimp, salmon, burgers, mixed veggie chunks, home fries, and on and on.
Its just the right size for us, easy to clean and best of all no flareups!!

We carry a 10 lb propane bottle for our Blackstone so that we can locate it anywhere we choose. That bottle usually lasts a whole summer and serves as a backup in case I goof and forget to fill our main propane bottles.

All the best and safe travels.

We have the 17" and don't use it nearly enough. I make fish tacos, fried rice and of course smash burgers. I guess the burgers are good because every so often we get a text from a friend that says I'll get the meat, cheese and buns if you will make the burgers. LOL
We also upgraded to a larger propane tank.

I got the two-burner Blackstone 1813 griddle and the folding stand for trailer camping. Portability is key. I didn't have space in my Surveyor 220RBS external storage for the fully-assembled unit, so I made a wooden frame to hold the griddle section, and modified a cardboard box to hold the stand & burner section.

The wooden frame has holes to capture the steel pegs, so the griddle section won’t slide around. The cardboard box has wooden pads to capture the stand and hold it in position, protecting the knobs.

I didn’t want to transport the unit with the griddle installed on the burner section, as the griddle is heavy, and the burner frame is relatively thin steel. Also, I didn’t want to risk having the griddle shake loose and bang around on the burner section, which could do serious damage. This travel storage concept worked well on our most recent trip over bumpy roads.
IMG_0371.jpegIMG_0372.jpeg

I did something similar with ours in our prior rig. The outdoor kitchen was pretty useless so I removed it and made a Blackstone storage tray. There are various blocks and leg holes to hold everything in place.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_171705529_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211002_171705529_HDR.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211002_171650771_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211002_171650771_HDR.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
We just carry ours in its carry bag in our basement. For storage we Flip over the griddle surface with a terry cloth towel over the base with the shorter part of the inverted griddle rim over the front. The regulator packs inside the base along with tongs, scraper, spatulas etc. So when we arrive at a site, we decide where to locate the Blackstone and set it up on our folding table. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. To save space we use an aluminum foil tent instead of a hard cover for cooking/baking.

Safe travels and all the best.

Reactions: SMR
I did something similar with ours in our prior rig. The outdoor kitchen was pretty useless so I removed it and made a Blackstone storage tray. There are various blocks and leg holes to hold everything in place.

I love this. If we ever have a rig with an outdoor kitchen, I'm doing this!

Have had a 17” for several years and love it! Perfect for the two of us. I seasoned the entire top inside and out using our oven at home. Got a bit Smokey but definitely worth it. Haven’t had any rust issues or need to re-season. Quick spray with water to clean then spread a bit of oil before putting it away. Have the folding table and just pop everything into the Camper basement when done.

Back
Top Bottom