Blood Moon Eclipse starts tonight (14th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi BinaryBob,

In some cases I think they might match your humor. It's more of a radio program for truck drivers covering a lot of different areas. Oh yes, good to listen to while viewing eclipses  ;D Best!

That's a nice lens, Al. I have a Tamron 28-200mm that I bought with my first Canon digital - about the second generation of the Rebel. Am putting both of them up for sale soon. Currently shoot with a Canon 50D - with a Canon 100-400mm L lens for sky stuff.

Added my Blood Moon to my Flickr album, The Sun, Moon, and Clouds, this evening. It's posted on FB as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/sets/72157634922337394/

Began looking more into night photography (other than sunsets) while in Laughlin the past few springs after QZ. Nice to just sit out behind the tripod system in good weather with flashlight and camera/lens manuals and play with settings.

Here in the NCal Roseville/Rocklin area the temps were around 55 degrees at 1:00PM for this Blood Moon so not bad at all. Also nice that the Blood Moon center was 3 hours earlier than Tom had in FL. Not sure I could have stayed awake that long. But he's a lot younger than I am . . .  :)

Am thinking of getting advertising via a pro camera store here to get a group of local pros and amateurs together to shoot this next Blood Moon in October. Shooting w/others and comparing settings is a fun way to do this. Have shot with Tom in QZ and Laughlin - fun stuff.

Bob Buchanan said:
Also nice that the Blood Moon center was 3 hours earlier than Tom had in FL. Not sure I could have stayed awake that long. But he's a lot younger than I am . . .  :)

Am thinking of getting advertising via a pro camera store here to get a group of local pros and amateurs together to shoot this next Blood Moon in October. Shooting w/others and comparing settings is a fun way to do this. Have shot with Tom in QZ and Laughlin - fun stuff.
I was too excited to fall asleep. Did you get my last PM? I am going to be in northern California next month and I am looking forward to shooting with you again.

Bob Buchanan said:
That's a nice lens, Al. I have a Tamron 28-200mm that I bought with my first Canon digital - about the second generation of the Rebel. Am putting both of them up for sale soon. Currently shoot with a Canon 50D - with a Canon 100-400mm L lens for sky stuff.

Hi Bob,

I messed up. It's actually a 300 mm f/2.8. the lens is just over 4 inches diameter. Comes in a nice case and have an attachment that makes it into a spotting scope. Ideal for bird watching or astronomy. It is a heavy lens and I shot shuttle launches with it from slilghtly less than 3 1/2 miles away.

With digital photography the lens became obsolete as the lenses are computerized. I found an adapter for it that fits the Rebel and I can take manual shots with it just fine. Too expensive of a lens to just let it sit around and I doubt I could sell it for much nor would I want to.

Sorry for the bad information. Must have been tired.

Hello all,

We could have a friendly competition here also for the October eclipse! Hoping it will be clear then.

Usually people that are higher up altitude wise have less atmosphere and can take a clearer shot. Also depends on angle of moon through atmosphere. Shooting close to the horizon, your shots suffer more.

SeilerBird said:
I was too excited to fall asleep. Did you get my last PM? I am going to be in northern California next month and I am looking forward to shooting with you again.

Seems I lost a number of emails that I am trying recover. I will be around in May and probably all summer other than short treks. With gas today at around $390/gal I don't venture too far. Let me know when you have a feel for the days in May you'll be coming through this area. Been wanting to drive over to Folsom lake for a shoot (wondering if there is any water there now  :( ) plus Old Sacto and the railroad museum have never seen my camera. Plus a lot of critters around as well . . . even a deer two some evenings.

You mentioned wishing you still had your 200-500mm lens?? Trying to recall what happened to it . . .

camperAL said:
I messed up.

Not a problem -- I do that a lot . . .

My only real need in a lens is for a good sharp wide angle - at a rock bottom price. Guess that could be considered an unlikely dichotomy. Am checking out the pro camera shops around this area plus eBay and Amazon. I used to use the wide end of my Tamron 28-200 but was disappointed in all but the center of my group shots. The 28-135 kit lens with my 50D does a nice job but would like a 24mm to get in a bit closer.

In October I may rent a longer lens than my 100-400mm for the next blood moon. Wonder what a one day rental of a $14,000 lens would be.  :eek:  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
You mentioned wishing you still had your 200-500mm lens?? Trying to recall what happened to it . . .
I sold it last year to help pay for my car. Tamron was rumored to be replacing it with a 150-600.  So far it is just a rumor.... :-[

SeilerBird said:
Tamron was rumored to be replacing it with a 150-600.  So far it is just a rumor.... :-[

Looks like more than a rumor to me . . .  :) Or are writing it is rumored for your Sony - as I read it is available for Canon, Nikon, and Sony.

http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/prod/150600_vc_a011.asp#ad-image-0

I started looking at it at Action Camera in Roseville, CA a few months back -- and looked at review comparisons with my 100-400mm. It "is" much less expensive though but Canon reviews as sharper at 400mm.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/18/dxomark-tests-the-tamron-150-600mm-claims-its-better-than-canons-100-400mm

Hi Bob,

If you know of anyone who has a decent telescope, you might be able to simply buy an adapter and couple to the telescope for an excellent photographic lens for the next eclipse. I'd shoot at prime focus and set camera on best quality for images. perhaps the telescope owner if they have a camera like yours, might already have an adapter. Ideal telescope candidates would be celestron (cassegrain) or good quality refractor.

You might also contact the local astronomy group in your area for help. Might be cheaper than renting a lens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom