Bob's new toys . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NETBOOK: Ned, I didn't realise you had a netbook. What are the specs on it? I tried a 11 plus inch screen with a faster processor on sale at Fry's last month and returned it after only a few days. It was much heavier and bulkier to carry around -- so made me feel I had bought another laptop. Not what I wanted. This Acer so far is great for my needs. The only problem I have had so far is that the maximum screen resolution is 1024X600. That causes the bottom of some apps to cut off. I found an app that will stretch the display to 1024X7XX, which would work well. Found another article that describes a RegEdit fix (a 0 to a 1 or vice versa) that is probably what the app is doing. Anyone else run into this?

DROIDX: You have a personal email address -- do you have that mail forwarded to your gmail account?

Do you use your droid as your GPS or do you have a separate unit in your rig and toad?

mike eddleman said:
I love my droid it's takes care of my nav, mp3, internet, office, all in one and oh yea it can be used as a phone to.

I "do" like the idea of everything in the same box, Mike -- other than if the box goes south, everything goes south.  :)

Will be checking it out in more detail as to what is available other than directions. I like to know my elevation and to have separate odometers and such. Actually all I really need in a GPS is everything I have in my 10 year old Garmin 2610 plus good lane change info and voice street annoucements.

Is you connection to your auto/rig speakers wired or . . . ???

I too have an Acer netbook Bob. Bought it for our trip to the UK earlier this year. Having toted luggables, laptops and notebooks around the world for more years than I care to remember, I wanted something that was smaller for our vacation. It's marinally heavier than my 16" notebook but, as luck would have it, the notebook died just before our trip. So, netbook to the rescue; Much smaller and lighter than my 17" laptop for carry-on, and I didn't need to carry a "computer bag".

Practically, I find the netbook too small for everyday use, although it worked in a pinch. Since our vacation, I've used it only occasionally, such as in a restaurant with small tables. Going forward I might use it to display the Silverleaf VMSPC info in the coach, and maybe for backup navigation.

I have a MSI Wind U100, one of the first netbooks.  Similar specs to yours with Bluetooth, 802.11n, 10" display, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, multi-card reader, Windows 7 Home Premium (came with XP, I put Win 7 on it), 6 cell battery.  I find that using F11 to make the app windows full screen usually works to get everything on screen, but some apps just need a bit more vertical room.

I have my personal email also available on the Droid through IMAP.  I can set up as many POP3 or IMAP accounts as I want in addition to the built in Gmail app.

We use a Nuvi in the truck, but I'll often fire up the Maps app on the Droid as it gives better traffic information.  And the street view is rather unique.  We can be driving down a street and it will show me that same street in the Maps app.  It's more of a novelty but could be helpful in visualizing an upcoming intersection.

My 10" HP book works great on the dash for a VMSPC readout and I took it to Hawaii this spring as a Kindle reader and music. I have an 8 hour battery that is good for about 6.5 hours that is enough for that trip.

Mike, I've found all the apps I really need at the App store.  I'm not sure I'd trust any from a web site with warez in its name

I guess I use more apps than you do Ned, I have gotten a lot off of the web site and have never had any trouble with any of them. a lot of them are straight from the developer and most are free. I see a lot on the market for .99 to 5.00 and the same ones wrote by the same person free on mobilism.org

I have only paid for one app, PdaNet.  All the rest are free ones, and I have about 75 apps on the phone right now.  No, I don't use them all every day :)

My comment about warez is because that term is usually associated with malware and pirated software.

Yea I understand about the website, I have been known to snatch a pirate copy or 2 I have about 150 apps I use at differant times. I see a lot of people that will go to Blockbuster and rent a movie and ask someone if they want to see it before they take it back. It's all the same thing.  I guess to each his own. I would say before any one downloads anything off the web be sure of what it is, who uploaded it, and where it came from. and always run a anti virus on smart phones just like you do your computers

It's the same thing, true, but that doesn't make it right.  As a software developer I have strong feelings about pirated software.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom