Bolt On Steering Stabilizers vs Hydraulic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phaeton

Interested in getting feedback on steering stabilizers such as the bolt on Steer Safe type vs the hydraulic Safe-T-Plus type.  Thanks!

Phaeton said:
Interested in getting feedback on steering stabilizers such as the bolt on Steer Safe type vs the hydraulic Safe-T-Plus type.? Thanks!
IMHO the spring type are a waste of time and money.

I chose the Blue Ox True Center hydraulic stabilizer to install on my coach. To see how it was installed click the Library button above, select Tech topics, then click Steering stabilizer installation.

Phaeton said:
Interested in getting feedback on steering stabilizers such as the bolt on Steer Safe type vs the hydraulic Safe-T-Plus type.? Thanks!

You don't say chassis type or existing problem if any. Freightliner recommends that no stabilizer be installed until whatever underlying problem initiated the complaint is solved.

Thanks for the feedback.

We have a 40 ft. diesel pusher with a Freightliner XC raised rail chassis

The motorhome is brand new so there are no current handling problems.

Have read a lot about blow outs and was more interested in the installation for safety reasons.

Did not know that Freightliner frowned on this?

I used the Blue Ox True Center hydraulic stabilizer on my freightliner chassis.  It helped to keep the "bump steer" under control. This was a solid front axle. I now have an independent front axle (also a freightliner) which does fine without the need for the stabilizer.

Phaeton said:
Thanks for the feedback.

We have a 40 ft. diesel pusher with a Freightliner XC raised rail chassis

The motorhome is brand new so there are no current handling problems.

Have read a lot about blow outs and was more interested in the installation for safety reasons.

Did not know that Freightliner frowned on this?

Doug

Freightliner put out an excellent video on how to handle the coach in a blow out situation. If you follow that you will have all you need.

I've seen the Michelin video, but am not familiar with one from Freightliner.

Can you provide a link to it?

Thanks.

I've got the River City Products Co "Howard POWERCENTER System" on our Beaver. It was installed 4 years ago and I wouldn't be without it. I suggest that you visit their web site.

See: www.rcproducts.qpg.com

and request their free video.

This system is the best there is and it ain't cheap-----but it works as claimed. It will minimize the effects of a front wheel blowout.

This spring, I noticed my system was getting a little slow in the responce and called the factory. They looked up my unit and said that they had had several that were manufactured in that time frame report the same problem. When they checked them they found that the o-ring seals has swollen and need to be replaced. They shipped me a replacement actuator--even paid the airfreight costs both ways--at no cost. And this was for a unit that had an expired warranty.

Also visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration site, www.FMS.dot.gov and do a search on "Howard Power Center" and read their evaluation of the system.

I highly recommend the system.

Chet18013

I installed the Safe-T-Plus on a previous coach (Ford F53 chassis). It did little as far as the "wandering" problems I was having at the time and I never had a front tire blow-out to test its claims for that situation.  However, it did make the steering noticeably stiffer and I think it might be of some assistance in that scenario.  Frankly, though, the driver's technique is the main factor for blowouts. I'd say study the suggested videos on handling blow-outs and save your money for some other component you may need/want.

I've looked carefully at the Steer Safe and do not see any reason it would perform better (or even as well) as the Safe-T-Plus. Have no actual experience with it, though.

Phaeton said:
I've seen the Michelin video, but am not familiar with one from Freightliner.

Can you provide a link to it?

Thanks.

Doug

The Michelin video might be the same video, Ron Anders of Freightliner was the demonstrator. You might call Freightliner and double check 800-ftl-help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom