Boondocking vs Dry Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

Is there a difference between the use of the terms "Dry Camping" and "Boondocking"?  I've see both used.

Boondocking, to me, means being fully self-contained.  No shore power, water, or sewer.

Dry Camping suggests winter camping where you don't use an water because of freezing problems or similar.  IE, you just sleep and eat in the trailer/RV, using bath/shower/sink/toilet elsewhere.

Are the two terms considered synonymous, or is there a distinction?

Thanks.

Frank.

I think most people use the term interchangably. If anything, drycamping means no power, sewage or water hookup, and maybe boondocking has the added nuance of doing it in the wild.  ;D

To me, dry camping is without water or sewer, but with electric.  Boondocking is without any hookups.

Ned:

>To me, dry camping is without water or sewer, but with electric.  Boondocking is without any hookups.<

That makes sense.

Frank.

There are no precise definitions and I think many people use the terms interchangeably. I would not make any assumptions if I heard someone else use the terms and, if it were important to know exactly what hook-ups were available, I would ask that specifically.

I heard a lot of people here at the rally saying they were drycamping.  Of course, I DID have a 50 amp hookup thanks to Ron!  ;D

Smoky said:
I heard a lot of people here at the rally saying they were drycamping.? Of course, I DID have a 50 amp hookup thanks to Ron!? ?;D

The 50 amp hookup you let the newlyweds have.    ;D

I agree with Smokey, Dry camping and Boondocking are both generally considered camping without hookups.

I use the term dry camping when I stop over night at a truckstop or rest area (although some refer to this as "blacktop" camping. I would also use the term to describe camping in the street in front of my sisters house and a "developed" campground without any hookups (National Forest CGs).

Quartzsite is boondocking! As are many of natures most wonderful "natural" camp grounds.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom