Booster for Verizon Aircard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

We recently moved from Albuquerque to Moriarty.  My computer access has slowed down signicantly as has my cell service.  Are there boosters for the aircard?
Thanks,  Phil

We also use a Verizon Aircard and have been mostly pleased with the service, BUT, there seem to be two networks, the "National Access" broadband network, and the "Extended Network".

We have found that the "Extended Network" is slower than the worst dial-up we ever had! The "Extended Network" is not just for places in the boonies.  We were put on the "Extended Network" in Oklahoma City and Hagerstown, MD!

My point is that your current slow service may be a result of your being in an "Extended Network" area and, if it is, I don't believe a booster, which will only help make the signal stronger, will help, i.e., it will only make the slow "Extended Network" signal stronger, not faster.

Good Luck!  We'll be interested in other comments and suggestion which you get.

Don and Mary Ann (The Navigator) Nesbitt
Cary, NC

Don,
The Verizon Extended Network is not always slow, but it may be. Nearly all of Verizon's own cell towers have the latest high speed data technology installed (note I said "nearly, not "all") whereas many of their network partners in the Extended Network have not upgraded their towers to the latest & greatest. Some do not offer any data service at all! And there are many other reasons for lower performance, e.g. weak signal (distance from tower or local interference), number of concurrent users online, etc.

Phil,
There are both external antennas and boosters (amplifiers) for cell phones, including data cards. Whether you can attach an antenna depends on the make & model of data card you have, but you didn't mention the name. If you don't have an external antenna jack, Wilson has a booster amp that works by velcroing a tiny antenna to the card itself. This little antenna has a range of only a couple inches but it is enough to increases the signal that the card sees. Take a look at the Wilson SignalBoost products.

You might also be interested in the wireless connection system, which is basically a signal repeater. These can be iffy to set up in a motorhome, though. Wilson Wireless Repeaters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom