Both slide outs not working.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ground connections are just like any other electrical connection, except that they tie to the metal frame of the RV. With any connection, you need to isolate the point that you will measure to make sure that there is only 1 path, then measure with your ohm meter. A good connection should have 1 ohm or less and in some cases you might be able to live with as much as 5 ohms but I wouldn't.

In most RV situations, you should be able to check the ground (or return side) of any 12V item by measuring between the item and the RV frame. Frequently the ground connection for a motor is via the mounting of that motor.
Thanks Kirk. Now if I can just find my good volt meter. :mad:

Problem solved, I think. There is a 3 amp fuse in the BCC under the hood labeled ign sig fuse. The test light won't light when the engine is not running so I thought there was some other wiring issue. But it occurred to me that the engine needs to be running when testing that specific fuse. Sure enough, the test light lit and the bedroom slide worked. Haven't tested the front slide yet but will do that when my navigator is available. I'm sure it will work since they both failed at the same time and the only logical explanation was a fuse.

One question I have is why three 3 amp fuses were bad. One possibility might be surge related. We've had a number of momentary power outages in the house and I'm thinking maybe that caused a surge when the power went back on. If so, I've got to figure out a way to connect my surge protector.

One question I have is why three 3 amp fuses were bad.
Are you sure that all 3 were open? Did you check them with an ohm meter? Fuses do sometimes fail due to age but usually when that happens they still look good but read open with an ohm meter. A 3a fuse would be some sort of control circuit as the slides draw much more than 3A.

Checked with a test light and volt meter. Then with good light, I could see the fuses were bad. While the Power Gear Fleetwood Motorhome Slideout Systems Operations Manual doesn't mention fuses, I suspect the slide control unit is fused.

I have a Fleetwood Tioga Ranger, which is a Class C, but I had slide problems several years ago, and it took the dealer service people three hours to find the fuses!!!!! (The service manager was kind enough to charge me for only one hour.)

And, they were not with the other motorhome fuses on the panel next to my bed. They were hidden in my under-bed storage area in the same compartment (made of thin wood panels screwed together) where my rear furnace and converter are located. Hiding things like fuses are part of the challenge of being an RV manufacturer!

So, try lifting your rear bed up, assuming there is a storage area under it, and look for your fuse panel there. The fuses for the slides might be in a separate panel from the others, but nearby in a wooden box!!

Anyway, good luck! I need to get a wide marker so I can write a message on the box for whoever I eventually sell my motorhome to so they do not have to wait for three hours for the mechanics to trace the wires!!!
Surprised how hidden the fuses are.

Lowe's and some other places have them- basically it's a tone generator that puts a tone on the wire and you use the included receiver to follow the wire as it transmits the tone.
Parked next to an RVer a few years ago who suggested I use a Toner to help solve my problem. He didn't explain what a Toner was and before I had a chance to check it out, life got in the way. It's definitely going to become a part of my tool chest.

Never heard of that. Sounds like something an RV owner should have.

One of the Electronics things I did is track a cable break underground.. I used a slightly larger version of this same device. Then we put code leads on each pair and I matched them up. soldered and sealed.

Back
Top Bottom