Brake Job $$ Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BirdClemRV

Workhorse chassis with 50K miles and brake job.  Newbie here.  Do all four disc brakes NEED to be done at same time, or can I just do the front brakes?  Thank you. 

Doing brakes by axle s/b acceptable.  However, are you sure the front brakes are worse than the rear brakes?  In a heavy vehicle like a MH (or truck), the rear brakes do a greater portion of the braking than rear brakes typically do in an automobile.  If you must make a choice between front or rear at this time, make a close inspection of the pads both front and rear to see which is worse.  Personally, if both are due a change, I would probably change the rear pads first.

Has your rig had the brake recall done? When I had it done on mine the shop said they would replace the pads for just the cost of the pads while they were replacing the calipers on the recall.

My Workhorse W20 has had the brake recall also.  When I had the Allison Transmission
serviced shortly after we purchased the 2002 Model Adventurer the tech told me the pads
on the disc brakes needed to be serviced soon.  He said it was not pressing, but before too
long I should check into it.

My question is, can disc brake pads be changed out by a fairly good shade tree mechanic?
I am reasonably competent and have a good selection of tools. 

Just curious..

The Big Larry

TheBigLarry said:
My question is, can disc brake pads be changed out by a fairly good shade tree mechanic?
I am reasonably competent and have a good selection of tools. 
They are not much different than automobile disc brakes - just bigger and beefier.  One thing...if you need to have the front rotors turned, bring a buddy.  Those darned things are HEAVY!

One issue with doing the job might be the lug nut torque required - 450 to 500 foot pounds. My WH manual settled on 475 ft pounds.

I ended up buying a 3 to 1 torque multiplier, 10 inch extension, 33mm socket and a 250 ft pound torque wrench. The torque multiplier has a 1 inch output so the extension and socket were pretty expensive.

Before I bought them I had checked a number of tire shops, RV shops and two road service mobile trucks and none of them had the tools needed to torque the lug nuts properly.
When I had the recall done and the tires replaced the companies had to use my tools.

I did fronts on my p30 chassis southwind. very straight forward job no fancy tools needed. Took rotors to local parts store for turning 10 bucks a rotor. They are VERY HEAVY!!

Clay L said:
One issue with doing the job might be the lug nut torque required - 450 to 500 foot pounds. My WH manual settled on 475 ft pounds.

I ended up buying a 3 to 1 torque multiplier, 10 inch extension, 33mm socket and a 250 ft pound torque wrench. The torque multiplier has a 1 inch output so the extension and socket were pretty expensive.

Before I bought them I had checked a number of tire shops, RV shops and two road service mobile trucks and none of them had the tools needed to torque the lug nuts properly.
When I had the recall done and the tires replaced the companies had to use my tools.

Now you know why most repair shops will not allow you past the customer lounge.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom