Brake system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As mentioned you have a P30, or sometimes called a P32 chassis Motorhome built by Chevrolet (later built by Workhorse after they bought the production rights). I am not sure about your exact model year, but generally these were offered with either front disc and rear drum, or disc brakes all around, in addition the disc brakes could either be dual or single piston calipers, though something in the back of my head is saying they may have started offering dual piston calipers after 1993. These coaches use a Hydroboost style braking system not a vacuum boost style like most cars have, this style brake booster is driven by fluid from the power steering pump.

Fleetwood won't be any help but you should be able to find parts. I had to get my parking brake repaired about a year ago and the shop didn't have any problem finding parts for it. Other P30 parts seem to be a bit tricky I had to check salvage yards.

Fleetwood won't be any help but you should be able to find parts. I had to get my parking brake repaired about a year ago and the shop didn't have any problem finding parts for it. Other P30 parts seem to be a bit tricky I had to check salvage yards.
Not just brake parts but is there a source for the coach side of the rig - any diagrams and guides etc. like for example the plumbing system and the electric side of things - the furnace, fridge etc

Also I’m wondering - is it a good idea when I jack up the rig to do any work like brakes or leveling jacks etc underneath it or if a wheel has time be removed and I’m using 12 ton jack stands at a minimum if everything that is supporting weight should be on plate steel or wood since I’m in gravel and if so how to determine what is best option and size Ex. How much bigger then the area the support structures footprint is.

Mill Supply has a lot of older chevy truck/stepvan parts, some which might have a P30 fit:

Truck Parts & Accessories | Mill Supply, Inc.

The P30 has history dating back to the 1960's - my 2005 P32 uses marker lenses from a '68 1 ton truck. I think your chances of finding parts for a P30 is better than a workhorse P32 but you'll still have to do some digging. Nobody is running trucks this old except for fun, so the best you get is to cross to something else, or NOS from vintage parts shops.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Not just brake parts but is there a source for the coach side of the rig - any diagrams and guides etc. like for example the plumbing system and the electric side of things - the furnace, fridge etc
On the chassis you have received some good advice. Unfortunately, the Fleetwood RV of today is in no way connected to the Fleetwood RV that built your coach. The original Fleetwood RV was once the largest manufacturer of RVs of every description and type. They had over time swallowed up dozens of smaller companies but in 2009 the old Fleetwood company was disolved and sold off in pieces to various buyers. The REV Group bought the brandname and most of the motorhome brands & rights but they have little if any information about RVs built preveious to their ownership and can do nothing of help to owners of those RVs.
if everything that is supporting weight should be on plate steel or wood since I’m in gravel and if so how to determine what is best option and size Ex. How much bigger then the area the support structures footprint is.
The issue is clearly that you don't want any of the supports to sink into the ground but exactly what you will need to use depends on the solidity of the gravel support. I think that if it were me I'd want something capable of holding all of the required weight. I'm no engineer, but I think that I'd want something at least 3'X3' under each jack that is strong and also non-slip.

For various appliances and equipment installed by the coach manufacturer, but made by and provided by Atwood, Dometic, Suburban, etc, here is a list of places to look for the correct install and use manuals and in a few cases, full blown service manuals for fridges, stoves, water heaters, etc. You will have to find the data tag on each item and get the mfg, model number, etc off of it and then go searching these sites.

RV tech, service and owners manual sources.

Technical Service Manuals – PDX RV

Bryant R.V. Services

Index of /pdf (scroll down to Atwood and Suburban)

Service Manuals - My RV Works

Free RV Manuals

Component Manuals Search | Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company (even if not a Forest River, they may have the manual you need)

Service/User manual Downloads – RV Refrigerator Repair

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom