Brake trouble 1985 winne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There can only be a few reasons the brake would stick, but first, a few questions and you must realize that I have no idea whatsoever of your skills or abilities when brake work is the topic.

Does the wheel spin freely until the brake is applied?
Are you sure you installed the caliper correctly?
Was a stuck brake the reason you changed the caliper?

Change the hydraulic hose.  They can collapse internally in effect making them into a one way valve that will not let brake fluid drain back from the caliper.  To confirm it's a hydraulic problem, loosen the bleed fitting momentarily while the caliper is stuck and see if that lets the caliper release.

Lou hit it before I did.

If you change one side, seriously consider doing them both as a preventative measure.

When you loosen the bleeder you should see a spurt of fluid as the pressure is released.

Lou hit the nail on the head. When you do change the old rubber line out, cut the old one in slices & somewhere you will see that the center hole is not round but (s) shaped. That is where the fluid is being trapped like a one way check valve. If you do find it can you take a photo of the hose area for this post. I wish I had. The next time I find one I will. It is a lot easier to explain with a photo. It is more common than most mechanics think. When I replace calipers on any car I always replace the hoses on them. Art 

I agree. Like a throw-out bearing when you change a clutch. Something you just do while you have it apart.

I have a 1978 Honda CB 750K with a bad brake hose. If the OP doesn't post a pic, I will when I change the hose (need to find one first).

Good advice.  Now, does anyone want to volunteer the information on HOW to remove the hose (frame end) on a mid '90s F53?

It seems to have a mystery connector that I can't even describe well enough to know if I'm buying the correct part when I see it.

1joester2 said:
Does it look similar to THIS ?

No.  I've been down that road. My current hose (on a '97) attaches to the frame differently, with no recognizable nuts, clamps or clips.  Access to the back side is completely obstructed from view, but appears to exit as a regular metal brake line back to the master cylinder.  I can't figure  out how the connection comes apart and the parts stores have no hoses that look like mine.  They (including the local Ford dealer) just say ..." bring in the old one and we'll match it up". Duh?

EDIT...

I just dug out my old notes on the subject and it seems that I did try the Centric hoses your post linked to.  they were about 6" short and attached as shown.  Not like mine.

However, There appears to be a new number for the '97 and newer F53.  The picture in the ad is the same, but may actually be different.  I'll have to restart my quest again.  Still don't know what I'm seeing at the frame end attachment.

Back
Top Bottom