Breaking News from The Onion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has been found that a large percentage of the spark plugs on Amazon - especially the NGK's - are knock-offs. Every post on the RAM forum I belong to that mentions buying them from Amazon has 100 responses saying, "Don't do it! They're phony."
That is one reason I've used Rockauto for 14 years. Pretty sure everything is kosher. When you add an item to the cart a little truck icon will show up on everything else you look at that comes from that warehouse. If you buy everything from the same warehouse there is no extra shipping per item. So buying spark plugs and wires will be way cheaper than Amazon. Delivery is usually 2-3 days where I live.

That is one reason I've used Rockauto for 14 years. Pretty sure everything is kosher. When you add an item to the cart a little truck icon will show up on everything else you look at that comes from that warehouse. If you buy everything from the same warehouse there is no extra shipping per item. So buying spark plugs and wires will be way cheaper than Amazon. Delivery is usually 2-3 days where I live.

I love Rockauto. Even with shipping charges, parts are cheaper/ better selection than the local retail parts store. And they're worth the wait, in most cases. I'm West Coast, and they seem to ship of off the East Coast, so it's 5-7+ days for me. But I can get all sorts of GM and AC Delco parts without having to visit a dealer - a big plus in my book.

I'll support a local Napa if the parts counter folks are knowledgeable, but around here, they do not appear to be. The other choice is O'Reilly's. Nope. Not unless I absolutely have to.

Amazon needs to get their sellers under control, and I won't trust them for auto parts.

My reasons for using Instacart have nothing to do with being handicapped or lazy. Our time on this earth is finite and is worth more than money itself. Because I still work, my free time comes at a premium. I don't always want to use my free time to do things like grocery shopping.

I also hear grocery shopping is incredibly dangerous. Instead of needing a semi-automatic weapon in order to feel safe while grocery shopping, one of my answers is to send the Instacart guy in there instead. ;)
Everything is relative. I'm retired, so although I value my time there is always an hour or two every month when I have time to make a beer run. They don't sell alcohol on my end of the county, and because where they do sell it is 40 minutes north of me I have to plan shopping, beer, and doctor's trips on the same day to keep from making multiple 2-hour round trip drives.

We routinely use Walmart curbside pickup. As @Skookum said, it’s a real timesaver. We don’t trust the order pickers with selecting meat, fish/seafood, baked goods, or most produce; but they do a fine job with getting our orders right and loaded into the bins we keep in the back of the car. We’ve tried other grocery curbside pickups, but Walmart has been the best and most efficient, and their app makes it even better. (Unlike instacart, no extra cost involved and Walmart doesn’t allow them to accept tips.)
Never dammed I’d come out sounding like a Walmart ad..😳
My wife has started using it, too. We just did a pick-up yesterday, as a matter of fact. The problem is, they commonly "substitute" one item for another that they don't have in stock and about 20% of the time they get it wrong. Yesterday, for example, she had chosen several boxes of those 4% Lidocaine patches. Apparently they didn't have them, so they gave her several boxes of the patches with the menthol/Eucalyptus instead. Not even close, so now she has to go all the way back up there this week and exchange them or get her money back. And because she has to do that it completely negated the reason to use the curbside pick-up to begin with.

My wife has started using it, too. We just did a pick-up yesterday, as a matter of fact. The problem is, they commonly "substitute" one item for another that they don't have in stock and about 20% of the time they get it wrong. Yesterday, for example, she had chosen several boxes of those 4% Lidocaine patches. Apparently they didn't have them, so they gave her several boxes of the patches with the menthol/Eucalyptus instead. Not even close, so now she has to go all the way back up there this week and exchange them or get her money back. And because she has to do that it completely negated the reason to use the curbside pick-up to begin with.
You can select no substitutions on your order and the person who’s loading you should notify you of substitutions. I think too you can check the status of your order online and it should show the substitutions, but I’m not sure about the latter. If nothing else check your receipt before the loader departs and if there’s something you don’t want they can scan it off before the order is completed and your CC is charged.

Everything is relative. I'm retired, so although I value my time there is always an hour or two every month when I have time to make a beer run. They don't sell alcohol on my end of the county, and because where they do sell it is 40 minutes north of me I have to plan shopping, beer, and doctor's trips on the same day to keep from making multiple 2-hour round trip drives.

Why isn't alcohol sold in your part of the county? I'm not much of a drinker and that still sounds awful.

You can select no substitutions on your order and the person who’s loading you should notify you of substitutions. I think too you can check the status of your order online and it should show the substitutions, but I’m not sure about the latter. If nothing else check your receipt before the loader departs and if there’s something you don’t want they can scan it off before the order is completed and your CC is charged.
They texted her that some of the items had been substituted, but they don't tell you what those items are. The guy brought the items in blue milk crates out to the truck and we helped him load it in the plastic bins I had brought just for that purpose.

I was the one who actually picked the boxes of patches out of the crates and put them in the truck, but it never dawned on me that anything that was substituted would be that far off. That's like asking for Tylenol and they give you vitamin capsules instead. You don't think to look because the two have nothing to do with each other.

Why isn't alcohol sold in your part of the county? I'm not much of a drinker and that still sounds awful.
Oh, it's horrible. Throws my life completely out of whack. ;)

It's the Bible Belt, half the laws here revolve around some religious thing. No idea why it's only half the county, though. The county-wide sale of alcohol has been on the ballot every time since we've lived here, and every time it fails by a long shot. They did, however, vote to allow medical marijuana so there's no rhyme or reason to how they think.

At our Walmart they always bag substitutions separately and ask for approval on each one before loading. For the past 3 years the main problem is so many things out of stock. Not just a shipping problem, the manager says manufactures have started running large batches to save money. My wife likes a certain TV dinner and a certain soft drink. Once they run out Walmart can't get it again for a month. Same with a lot of things.

It's the Bible Belt, half the laws here revolve around some religious thing. No idea why it's only half the county, though. The county-wide sale of alcohol has been on the ballot every time since we've lived here, and every time it fails by a long shot. They did, however, vote to allow medical marijuana so there's no rhyme or reason to how they think.
50 years ago the blue laws created a city. Ft Smith, AR was so strict Walmart had to roll out partition walls so you couldn't buy anything on Sunday but groceries. But right across the river Roland, OK started building "Sunday" stores selling everything you couldn't buy in Ft Smith. I watched it grow from a few houses to a city several miles long. When I moved to MS 24 years ago they didn't even allow dancing inside the city limits any day of the week. Of course there was a dance hall right outside the city limits that did a thriving business.

Here you can’t buy alcohol on Sunday until after 12, deciding whether to get drunk or go to church isn’t a problem around here.

We have much the same situation here, when the parish (county) became wet circa 25-30 years ago, alcohol was voted in/out by way of a 4 part measure in each of the 8 voting precincts. The voting options were allow beer wine sales carry out, allow hard liquor carry out, allow beer /wine dine in, and allow hard liquor one premises. As you might imagine this lead to all sorts of variation around the parish with some parts remaining dry, some parts allowing only carry out beer/wine sales, etc.

Since a wee bit before Covid we have all but given up shopping at Walmart, unless its out of desperation . I can buy peanut butter anywhere. ;) That's my limit of my own personal shopping most of the time.

I don't do self check outs for more than one or two items anywhere. I did have one occasion to go in one right before Christmas and amazingly they were able to find cashiers for a dozen of their employee operated cash registers.

Their perishable food products are at best a grade D. The rest of their packaged food products are the same that you can get at most any other grocery store. And most other grocery stores are easier and quicker to navigate in and out.

Sams Club is a good mix for us and we don't have to shop as much for the few standard items that we buy. The frozen foods and the selection of meats is much better. Their whole cooked chickens for under five bucks makes three meals for two. If we wish to splurge , their lamb chops are the best and freshly cut by a butcher most days.

Around here it is pretty Wal-Mart or Dollar General, otherwise you pay twice as much at the other regional grocery store options in town for the exact same items.

I see some are concerned about buying liquor in Arkansas. So whats the story with this guy? Is he the only one providing alternative sources?:D Probably not,

Who is Joe Boy? ‘Moonshiners' Season 13 debutant set to explore illicit liquor market in Little Rock​

50 years ago the blue laws created a city. Ft Smith, AR was so strict Walmart had to roll out partition walls so you couldn't buy anything on Sunday but groceries. But right across the river Roland, OK started building "Sunday" stores selling everything you couldn't buy in Ft Smith. I watched it grow from a few houses to a city several miles long. When I moved to MS 24 years ago they didn't even allow dancing inside the city limits any day of the week. Of course there was a dance hall right outside the city limits that did a thriving business.
Down in S. Texas 50 years ago the blue laws were insane. On Sunday you couldn’t buy bubble gum, but you could buy ordinary gum, you couldn’t buy a kite, or balloons on Sunday and of course no alcohol of any kind. My Grandson goes to a private Christian school in La. that doesn’t have proms because dancing isn’t allowed. 2 kids came up in the family way this past year, however we’re pretty sure they weren’t dancing.

Around here it is pretty Wal-Mart or Dollar General, otherwise you pay twice as much at the other regional grocery store options in town for the exact same items.
Dollar General stores are on just about every corner of every town. They have even expanded offshore now. :)
th

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom