Butcher block counters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady1

Hi!

We’re in the middle of a pretty extensive camper remodel and I was curious if anyone here has put butcher block countertops in their RV? We really like the look of wood but we’re concerned about it potentially splitting down the road because of temp fluctuations. Has anyone had issues with splitting and does anyone have tips on split prevention? We were thinking maybe coating it in resin? But I didn’t want to darken the wood too much.

Anyway, just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on it. Thanks!

So very much of what you are worried about is directly a function of the quality of the lay-up of the block itself. If you coat it with a clear resin, and you cut against it, it will scratch no matter what the resin used.
Matt

Depending on type of RV weight may be a factor as well, a 5 ft long 1.75 inch thick commercial butcherblock countertop will weigh between 75-95 pounds depending on the type of wood.

We don’t have butcher block in our RV but we do in our S&B. I’m not too crazy about them. The house was built in 2015 and the countertops needed sanding and coated 2 years ago. Haven’t done it yet because I don’t want to deal with the mess with sanding.

Other than weight, I don't see why a butcher block counter top would not hold up fairly well. Will you be making your own or will you be ordering one from somewhere else. If making your own, if you could find a solid piece of lumber, it would be better. But finding one "that" wide will be a challenge.

Just a suggestion? Resin? I recently built a kitchen cabinet in our house and I used this stuff:

Click here.

The counter top had a sheet of 1/2 inch sheet of plywood. On top of that was a layer of glue. On top of that was vinyl floor tiles. On top of that was 3 coats of the Farmowood Glaze Clear Coat. Each "coat" took one of the large kits at $100 each. I didn't expect it to take 3 coats, but it did.

The first round of liquid will seep into every crack and crevasse and drip down. I was in good shape, because I sealed the under side with all that glue initially. Otherwise, it would have dripped through and made a mess inside the cabinet.

This left dimples everywhere. It looked really bad when it dried. The second coat fill in all the dimples and it smoothed out, very impressive. It still had some imperfections and small dimples and I probably could have left it that way. But I wanted "perfection" and thus the third layer. The third layer ended fantastic, everything I was hoping for.

About discoloring, no. It did not discolor anything. In fact, it brought out color. I would have never imagined how nice those floor tiles looked under the resin. Looking at it now, no one can tell that's floor tile and not real wood.

By the way, before doing this, watch lots of YouTube videos, step-by-step on how to do this. A torch or a really, really hot hand held hair dryer is absolutely necessary to get the air bubbles out. (I used both and found the torch works better, but definitely more dangerous). It's an amazing process to do and see it happen. Keep the torch about 5 inches above the liquid wet resin and watch the bubbles disappear. It's amazing, but a necessary step.

Now, about those scratches. The repair is easy, very easy.... clean off the surface real well, and simply pour a new, very thin coat of resin right on top of it. All the scratches simply disappear.

Before the resin:

t6uDJ53.jpg

VRlPJ96.jpg

After the resin:

WOw0gf7.jpg

pXGSx1q.jpg

If you notice in the "after" shot, I'd built a "lip" on the edge, all the way around so the liquid would not spill over the edges. The intent was pour enough onto the top to fill it up completely level to the edge. To do so, probably would have taken another 3 kits. So, there is now a small "lip" on the edge, which actually allows for more additional layers in the future, and also provides an edge so things don't slip off the side.

Here's a link to some YouTube videos.
Click here.

Watch as many as you can. Once you start the process, you cannot not stop. You have to know what you are doing before you start and have everything ready. You have only about 10 minutes of working time after the epoxy is mixed. There's no time to go back and watch another YouTube video to figure out what you need to do if something isn't quite right.

Good luck. (sorry for the long post). But hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just for an FYI, I just took these photos of the cabinets. Actually, they were finished about a year ago. These photos were taken this morning. I thought you'd like to see the finished work. And yes, the house is a mess.

xNGXpZC.jpg

zjzv74I.jpg

4c4Mqer.jpg

8ky9Jg3.jpg

ljaHfuD.jpg

And yes, the house is a mess.
I am leery of folks that keep their house supper clean and picked up. We live in our house. It’s not dirty but there is some stuff laying around. We have gotten better about things left on the floor since we got one of those robot vacuums. Speaking of robot vacuums, Amy body that has and a dog has your vacuum ran over some dog poop? What a mess that is. By the way, your cabinets look great!

Reactions: RRR
I don't see any problem with a butcher-block countertop unless the workmanship is shoddy. Nor do I see a weight issue - other countertop types typically have a thick plywood base or a layer of "solid surface" that are also fairly heavy. The butcher block is probably more, but is an extra 30-50 lbs gonna break it?

If you are worried, how about a faux butcher block? In my stick house I had a Formica-brand butcher block surface laminated onto 3/4" plywood and it looked fabulous & lasted 20+ years. Top quality mica surfaces don't look like plastic at all.

Last edited:
I am leery of folks that keep their house supper clean and picked up. We live in our house. It’s not dirty but there is some stuff laying around. We have gotten better about things left on the floor since we got one of those robot vacuums. Speaking of robot vacuums, Amy body that has and a dog has your vacuum ran over some dog poop? What a mess that is. By the way, your cabinets look great!
IIRC Roomba now makes one that has a sensor to detect dog piles and detour's around. We only have had cats. I have the feeling we will find out about dog piles, (hopefully not for long) as a granddaughter's chiweenie just had pups and the Wife is attached to the mother and "Haven't decided yet" if she is going to take one. Any bet?

IIRC Roomba now makes one that has a sensor to detect dog piles and detour's around. We only have had cats. I have the feeling we will find out about dog piles, (hopefully not for long) as a granddaughter's chiweenie just had pups and the Wife is attached to the mother and "Haven't decided yet" if she is going to take one. Any bet?
If she’s like my DW, she’ll try to get away with taking more than one. I’ll take abet that you are going to lose.

Last edited:
No bets against her taking one!

Well we went to see the pups a few hours ago. Granddaughter has picked on for the DW and named it. Mother and pups are doing fine and she seems to be a very attentive mother. And granddaughter, 10, also reaffirmed that she wants to be a vet...

Hi!

We’re in the middle of a pretty extensive camper remodel and I was curious if anyone here has put butcher block countertops in their RV? We really like the look of wood but we’re concerned about it potentially splitting down the road because of temp fluctuations. Has anyone had issues with splitting and does anyone have tips on split prevention? We were thinking maybe coating it in resin? But I didn’t want to darken the wood too much.

Anyway, just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on it. Thanks!
as a cabinet maker, I would never suggest a wood countertop due to bacteria growing in the pores of the wood. Me personally would get a solid surface material or if concerned about weight there are plenty of good laminates out there that look like butcher block. I know many people do the butcher block wood tops but the up keep on them with regular use to me is more that I'd want to do besides the cleanliness part too.

Back
Top Bottom