Buy a 5th wheel w/ 30 amp or 50 amp service?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"If the manufacturer put a 50 Amp plug on your RV, you must use 50 Amp site here.
Saves our wiring from overload."
I suspect the park has marginal wiring and/or does not have a 30A breaker right at the campsite pedestal.  I worked two summers in a park like that, where the older section had 30A only and the 30A breakers (a few even had 30A fuses!) were in centralized boxes for a group of sites. If a camper overloaded his 30A circuit, maintenance (me) had to come out and locate/reset the right breaker or install a new fuse.  A 50A rig plugged to a 30A outlet has a higher potential of causing a 30A overload, simply because it has more stuff to turn on (and owners accustomed to using more amps).  Since we had 50A sites in the newer sections of the park, we tried to avoid placing 50A rigs on the old section 30A sites.  However, that was "avoid", not "prohibit".  We had to warn people that maintenance was unavailable from 9 pm until 7 a.m. except for emergencies (and losing power on their site wasn't an emergency).

Speaking of "can't fix stupid", one holiday weekend we had a customer with a new 50A coach. We only had a 30A site left when she called and told her of the 30A limit. She stated she could not use a 30A site because her dealer had warned that her new coach would be damaged if she plugged into anything less than 50A.  My wife explained that was not correct and the lady reluctantly agreed to book the site. When she arrived, she promptly turned on too much stuff and tripped a breaker.  I reset it for her, but she was convinced her the dealer was right about damage, so she demanded her money back and left.  This was a summer holiday weekend on the Maine coast, so we had the site rented to some lucky person in about 5 minutes.  I can only guess that she returned to her home, cause the chance of her finding any site, let alone 50A, was about zero.  I don't blame the lady - she didn't know any better, but an RV dealer saying that?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I suspect the park has marginal wiring and/or does not have a 30A breaker right at the campsite pedestal.

May well be the case. I'd check the latter, but haven't seen an unoccupied 30 Amp site.
Coincidentally, this week they've been doing some trenching, and yesterday there was a conduit with new power lines fished through it laid out, ready to bury. So an upgrade may be in the works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom