Buying a new Travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stacie

Hello-
My name is Stacie and I am new to this forum.  It was recomended to me by a factory rep for Komfort trailers.  Our family is shopping around for a 25-26 ft TT.  We have been to a few dealers, looked online, and went to an RV show in Pleasenton today.  So far, our favorite is a 25 ft Komfort Trailblazer.  They seem to be made well, and we love the floor plan.  We will be towing with a Ford Excursion.  I am looking for feedback from experienced RVer's as to good quality, lasting trailers.  We have three children and two dogs, so something with a slideout would probably be better.  The price of the Trailblazer is a little steep, but we're willing to go high if the product is good quality.  Thanks for the feedback!

What is the model year and engine size and type of your Excursion?    Its tow capacity is going to be critical in your choice of trailer.

Thank you for replying!  Our Excursion is a 2000 Ltd. V10-I think the tow capacity is 10,000 lbs.  Based on what I've read, the total weight of the trailer, hitch, cargo etc.. should not be over 9500-is that true? or should we leave more of a cushion?  Thanks

stacie said:
Thank you for replying!  Our Excursion is a 2000 Ltd. V10-I think the tow capacity is 10,000 lbs.  Based on what I've read, the total weight of the trailer, hitch, cargo etc.. should not be over 9500-is that true? or should we leave more of a cushion?  Thanks

More.  That Excursion can pull 10,000 if it is a 2wd with a 3.73 rear end.  We like to leave about 10% safety factor for the East so that the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailer should not exceed 9000 lbs for towing in the East.  For towing in the West, make that 20% and a GVWR of 8000 lbs to allow for high altitudes and long, steep grades.

Thanks Carl.  I'm still trying to figure this all out.  The Excursion is a 4x4, 6.8L, with 4.3 rear axle ratio.  The trailer we want weighs 6,785 unloaded, cargo capacity 2,687, hitch weight is 775.  Fresh water tank is 56 gal.  My Excursion manual says maximum trailer weight is 10,000.  The GCWR?? (I have no idea what this means) is 18,000.  Soooo, in your opinion, as far as safety is concerned, this trailer is too big for our Excursion?  Thank you so very much!-Stacie ;D 

stacie said:
Thanks Carl.  I'm still trying to figure this all out.  The Excursion is a 4x4, 6.8L, with 4.3 rear axle ratio.  The trailer we want weighs 6,785 unloaded, cargo capacity 2,687, hitch weight is 775.  Fresh water tank is 56 gal.  My Excursion manual says maximum trailer weight is 10,000.  The GCWR?? (I have no idea what this means) is 18,000.  Soooo, in your opinion, as far as safety is concerned, this trailer is too big for our Excursion?  Thank you so very much!-Stacie ;D 

6785 dry weight + 2687 cargo capacity = 9472 lbs gross vehicle weight rating.  Trailer mfrs seem to list GVWR that way in advertising -- unfortunately.  Since your Excursion is a 4wd it rating is to tow 9700 lbs.  Eastern towing should limit your GVWR to 8730 lbs.  Western towing should limit it to 7760 lbs. 

The Komfort  you indicate is too heavy for your excursion.  Frankly that Comfort is a rather heavy for a 25 footer.  My 23 foot littile old Prowler has a GVWR of 5400 lbs.  Looking at the Komfort Trailblazer website:  the T23S and the T240 , both are 25 footers and have a GVWR less that 7760 western limit that I gave.  Both would be quite suitable as far as weight is concerned. 

Keep looking and use the GVWR numbers I gave you to winnow out the heavy weights.

Thanks for the info.  We'll keep looking and use your numbers.  I'm curious about what everyone out there thinks about the Komfort line in general?  Or does anyone have any favorite companies that make lighter trailers that are roomy and made well?  We have 3  kids and two dogs and will use the trailer pretty regularly for camping.  We're really looking for something that will last.  Thank you for your feedback! :-*

Save yourself some time.    Go to an RV show and prowl the offerings looking for a trailer with a GVWR of 7800 lbs or less.  With those kids and dawgs, floor plan is going to be important.

I had a Komfort for two years and never had any problems with it; I definently can't say that about my current brand. I'd still have it if I hadn't under bought or over-grew it.

The GCWR?? (I have no idea what this means) is 18,000.

GCWR is the maximum combined weight of the tow vehicle, trailer and everything carried in/on the two of them. It's the actual limiting factor in tow capacity - the "tow rating" is derived by subtracting the minimum weight of the tow vehicle (defined as its curb weight plus full fuel tank and a 154 lb driver) from the GCWR. So, if your Excursion actually weighs more than 8300 lbs when ready to travel, the actual tow capacity will be less than the 9700 rated maximum.

One reason folks get into trouble with tow ratings as that they think they are entitled to tow the maximum, without any reservations at all. That is rarely the case. The tow rating is the max you may be able to tow, but in any particular case the actual tow capacity will be less. Sometimes much less. 

Carl's 20% safety margin (western towing) in part makes some allowances for the difference between estimated weights and actual, going down the highway, weights. If you had actual weighed weights for everything, I would not be afraid to pull a trailer that took the Excursion up near its 18,000 lb GCWR, say maybe 17,000 lbs total. But without the ability to weigh everything beforehand, especially since you don't know how much you will load onboard, it is wise to stay lower.

The relatively high weight of the Komfort is a good sign - it usually indicates sturdy construction.

Back
Top Bottom