California Likely to Pass Ban on Single-Use 1lb Propane Canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is typical - ignorant/inconsiderate people will ruin it for all. It's a shame people can't learn/understand the value of recycling. They will continue through life with the opinion that recycling is too hard, a waste of time/money, or that "it all ends up in the trash anyway". :(

I've always thought these small bottles are so incredibly wasteful. That's a lot of metal for single-use, and most people don't get them completely empty -- once the flame on the BBQ gets low, most people replace the bottle and there's some still inside. We've been lucky to have a propane hookup on our coach so we just run a quick-connect hose to the BBQ when we need it.

Me too, been refilling my camp and torch bottles since the 1990's. Some of the canisters may even be that old. Technically you can't transport refilled one time use canisters across state lines but you can add that to my list of civil disobedience infractions. I can't think of the last time I bought a new one, all the ones I have I've gotten from others disposing of them or dug out of the trash. Maybe I should get some green/recycling points for that, though my primary motivation is saving money.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

This is typical - ignorant/inconsiderate people will ruin it for all. It's a shame people can't learn/understand the value of recycling. They will continue through life with the opinion that recycling is too hard, a waste of time/money, or that "it all ends up in the trash anyway". :(
Can be recycled because of the propane? They can be refilled from bigger tanks with an adapter but not sure if they can be recycled.

I recycle mine as do most of my friends. Here is what I use to refill them

View attachment 157687
Does it only take a minute though? I bought an adapter similar to this and tried it and it never seemed to last very long. Then I saw a video on how to do it more effective but it seemed to take longer. Now I just buy an adapter hose and bring a regular grill tank with me. It saves on these cans as well as the time changing them out.

Can be recycled because of the propane? They can be refilled from bigger tanks with an adapter but not sure if they can be recycled.
Here in NY they can be tossed the trash but our residential recycling center also accepts them so there must be something that can be done. Perhaps they purge them and then either reuse them or simply recycle the metal? IDK for sure. Either way, leaving them tossed about campgrounds is just plain irresponsible.

Does it only take a minute though?
Or less. The trick is to pre-chill the bottles in the freezer. If you don't, they'll still fill but maybe only 30%. Usually even that is useful, it's enough to run most things 'long enough' but for a near-complete fill they need to be chilled. Maybe it's implied but not directly stated you also need to have the source grill tank inverted so liquid comes out, otherwise all you're going to get is a bottle of pressurized propane gas (not much).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Or less. The trick is to pre-chill the bottles in the freezer. If you don't, they'll still fill but maybe only 30%. Usually even that is useful, it's enough to run most things 'long enough' but for a near-complete fill they need to be chilled. Maybe it's implied but not directly stated you also need to have the source grill tank inverted so liquid comes out, otherwise all you're going to get is a bottle of pressurized propane gas (not much).

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I inverted the tank but did not freeze the bottles before doing it. I have a travel grill that the 30% would last a while but the Blackstone griddle I have sucks it up pretty fast. I usually have enough room in truck now to bring a bigger tank with me and use the adapter hose.

This is one that I agree with. Most people just toss these in the trash or scatter them about the parks wherever they happen to use them. I've picked up dozens in my journeys.

Reactions: SMR
This is one that I agree with. Most people just toss these in the trash or scatter them about the parks wherever they happen to use them. I've picked up dozens in my journeys.
It would be nice if they can make it so they can be exchanged for around the same or less than buying a new one. That might save on a lot of the waste. I prefer alternative ways to fix an issue other than outright ban.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
This is useless whenif CA bans them, anyway;

Wasted time chilling cylinders IMO. I've never done anything but connect the 1# to the 20# onto my work bench, invert the 20#, open valve, then suspend the 1# by the hose off the bench.
4 hrs. later the 1# is full, reverse the procedure and done. Don't let it drain overnight, I did once, 1# completely full of liquid-lesson learned. Now I use a small weigh scales to check.
Liquid is always heavier than vapor and flows down into 1# disregarding pressure.

There is an alternative, buy a 1G refillable cylinder if storing a 20# is inconvenient, it stores easily.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom