Camp chairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too have back issues, (broke L2 about 11 years ago), and have tried a zero gravity folding chair, it is great to sit in, but not so easy to get in and out of. I also have a folding bag style chair that is much sturdier than the typical ones which has fairly good back support. It was advertised as a "moon chair" on Amazon, but is not round like most such moon chairs.

We decided we had Coleman with regular camping chairs. The quality of fabric and chair is great. The side table is easy to put up and down and holds some weight as well. The arms have wraparound padding for comfort that is easily removed.

I got some at COSTCO oh.. Well the Motor home I had for 15 years. The Chairs I used in the trailer I had BEFORE I got the motor home.. They are now in my Living room here Same design with side table

The most ergonomic and comfortable we have had are Strong Back. We have been very happy with these.

Pulling this to the top for new opinions. The thread is old, but we all still need to sit on occasion.

Anything new out there that people like?

If not, save your fingers. ;):cool:

I like the side table. And cheap enough if they walk off. Sack chairs are miserable.
I second that.. We have 2 of them that are almost 10 years old. They are a little faded but still going strong. I like the fact that they are light, and the cross bars that go between the front and back legs keep it from sinking into the sand when surf fishing on the beach!! The fold out table is convenient and the pockets on the side are great for holding a water bottle, newspaper etc.
The price is right too.

Safe travels and all the best.

I was given two Zero Gravity lounge chairs when I bought my hitch. Nice chairs, but heavier than rip and I don't stay reclined for long so haven't got much use from them and only sometimes throw one in the truck now.

I bought two ARB/Old Man Emu Directors chairs thru Amazon. They come and go from Amazon. I think they are made in China but are very good quality. There are other brands that the table can be folded with the chair opened up, this one deploys the table automatically when you open the chair.

I bought these on the recommendation of Youtuber Trip In A Van who is in Australia, a family traveling with a caravan/trailer. ARB is one of their main sponsors, however I don't think he was endorsing them based on that, they really liked the chairs and I do too. The cross bars do not cut into your legs.

One reviewer on YouTube tried the ARB chairs for 18 mos and has since tried some called Explore Life which is a similar directors chair with a slightly simpler mechanism (overcenter, no buttons or latches) and he liked them but I don't think they are marketed in the US.

Charles

This vid is mostly in Bahasa Indonesian however it does an excellent job of showing the opening and closing of the ARB chair (I even commented that I learned more from his presentation than any I had found.)

Charles

This is the one we use. A little pricy but like a lot of you, the bag chairs just were not cutting it. Here is the linc from Camping world;

Summit Padded Folding Outdoor Rocker
View attachment 168827
I have a pair of these with the only difference being mine are all one color. The pair ride perfectly in the back seat of my Wrangler when I'm traveling. I got them in '18 and they're still comfortable and holding up well.

I recently bought two of these XGear folding chairs, and am really happy with them. They fold up and fit into a tube, but they have lower back support, and are easy to get out of for this fat old guy. Plus they have a 400# capacity.That's way more than I weigh, so they should hold up well for the long term.

Has anyone come across a good recliner type, other than the zero gravity ones? The footrest on those drive me nuts, I'm tall enough that when I stretch out the lower bar is behind my ankles. That and it seems that none of them have a good lock to keep in the reclined position.

Has anyone come across a good recliner type, other than the zero gravity ones? The footrest on those drive me nuts, I'm tall enough that when I stretch out the lower bar is behind my ankles. That and it seems that none of them have a good lock to keep in the reclined position.
I had the same problem with the ankle part. Our chairs lock in the various recliner positions with no problem, but I had to add a couple of short sections of pool noodles (slit lengthwise and tied in place with cable ties) for the part that hits the back of my ankles...
It really helps. They are also quite heavy compared to the Harbor freight chairs we always carry.
I also found that the short backpacking tripod stools (about 18" high, make great foot rests, when using the harbor freight chairs.

We carry 2 really ugly cheap bag chairs. They have to ride tied onto the back ladder so if they disappear one day it's no big deal. I too have a sore back sometimes, so I made a good stiff pillow to support my back. I also made a pocket thingy to hold my phone and book and a snack bag.... all out of cheap stuff (old jeans) that don't look so good, so far none of the "junk" has walked away. My son gave us 2 really light & small, as in water bottle sized things, that we are too old to get into much less out of, but they are just the right size for foot stools. The only thing I wish is that the back was tall enough to rest my head against. While I would love a really nice chair I don't have room inside and anything nice would probably be stolen.

Since we usually travel with a big group, We carry 4 Harbor freight chairs and 2 Walmart folding bar stools. The bar stools are great when cooking on the Blackstone and come in handy when guests arrive. They are cheap and light. We can't forget the folding rocker for my better half as well..similar to the one pappi49 described...
All of them serve their purpose.

The nice thing about these Explore Life Camping Chairs, is that they don't have cross bars or X bars right under your legs at the front edge of the fabric to bother you. This video talks about them after a year and a half of hard use. Only problem is finding them in the US.

I like the ARB directors chairs I have but would not mind giving these a try.

Charles

Karrathaexploregear-03771_800x.jpg

This chair on amazon looks similiar.
Actually, with the exception of the way a couple of the joints are made, such as the back to armrests being metal brackets instead of plastic, they do appear the same. Possibly an earlier version of the same chair from the same Chinese factory.

Companies in China will take a design they are contracted with to manufacture and change it slightly and market it as their own or someone else's. Patent infringement is not an issue to them.

71FhDLpxYIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hint on links on Amazon....... Put your cursor on the /ref and use the delete key to wipe out the /ref and everything after that. If you are on the Amazon page and copying from the address bar, hit the enter key to reload under the shorter address. You can actually leave the / but I usually delete it anyway. I deleted the https:// in order to force this forum to display the entire link.

www.amazon.com/iClimb-Compact-Camping-Folding-Handle/dp/B091PN1TPN

I learned this when using the BigfootRV forum as it cannot handle long links.

Charles

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom