Camper on Ice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

This past weekend, there were a number of people towing their campers onto various lakes and no surprise; a few of them fell through the ice.

Why do people feel compelled to drive a 6000lb truck with a 5000lb trailer onto ice this early in the year, let alone at all?

Maybe I am naive, but it sounds excessive and silly to want to bring that much weight onto the ice just for a few extra luxuries. There are some nice ice shacks out there that weight less than 1000lbs. Pull it with an ATV or snowmobile and you are still lighter than a small car.

It's about waiting for the ice, guess some can't wait. BUT, taking a RV or a icehouse on a frozen lake is something that has been going on for decades. Today's Icehouse fishing RV's are really nice, the suspension lowers and you fish thru port holes in the floor. I have fished on Lake Of the Woods N. Minn. in winter when visiting family, the ice was over 2' thick. If I lived in that cold country, I'd sure have one, they can still use it in summer,,,Gregg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=motorhome+fish+house&qpvt=motorhome+fish+house&view=detail&mid=250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB&&FORM=VRDGAR

They deserve everything they get including dro.wning Hopefully, they don't take someone else down with them

Every year there is another batch of dim wits that get themselves in trouble. A few years ago, a really large lake south of my area had spring break up early. Lake Simcoe is a fifty mile long lake, and is well know for ice fishing. A very large chunk of ice broke off the shoreline, and proceeded to float down the lake with hundreds of icehuts and fisherman on board. They called in the military to helicopter the fisherman off the ice flow. As fast as they could get these guys off there, there were others on snowmobiles watercrossing back and forth from the shore to get back to their icehuts, and go fishing. It cost the tax payers something like 100k for the military rescue. I think sometimes fisherman don't think with their heads when it comes to going fishing. Risking life and limb for a few dollar fish seems ridiculous to me.

Broke Boater said:
It's about waiting for the ice, guess some can't wait. BUT, taking a RV or a icehouse on a frozen lake is something that has been going on for decades. Today's Icehouse fishing RV's are really nice, the suspension lowers and you fish thru port holes in the floor. I have fished on Lake Of the Woods N. Minn. in winter when visiting family, the ice was over 2' thick. If I lived in that cold country, I'd sure have one, they can still use it in summer,,,Gregg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=motorhome+fish+house&qpvt=motorhome+fish+house&view=detail&mid=250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB250B3EDCC47CCD8BDACB&&FORM=VRDGAR
Oh, I agree. They are really nice, but a regular camper is typically heavier than these things are as well. There were images of people hauling 28 foot trailers on the ice. Who knows what all they had in it in addition to the dry weight. Personally, I wouldn't be in a rush to be the first one out there.

No how, no way.  I've been ice fishing twice in my life, and no more.  The first time it was soooo cold, we couldn't even drink the beer we brought.  Back then, that is saying something.  As we drove out on the lake, listening to the echoing pops of the ice just about freaked me out.  I almost turned around.  My buddy convinced me to stay though.  As it turns out, the ice was 3 - 4 feet thick.  We weren't going through it.  But it was still no fun at all, especially since we didn't catch anything.  Not even a buzz!!  Horrible!

A neighbor at our Adirondack cottage has an 18' TT that he ties down on a pair of 16' aluminum pontoons connected by a homemade frame and tows it out on the lake in front of his place to use for ice fishing. He trails a long rope back to shore that he can use to haul it in if needed for an unexpected early thaw. The pontoons work well as both skis and flotation. He's talked about adding an outboard motor mount and some decking so he can use it in the summer as well...

NY_Dutch said:
A neighbor at our Adirondack cottage has an 18' TT that he ties down on a pair of 16' aluminum pontoons connected by a homemade frame and tows it out on the lake in front of his place to use for ice fishing. He trails a long rope back to shore that he can use to haul it in if needed for an unexpected early thaw. The pontoons work well as both skis and flotation. He's talked about adding an outboard motor mount and some decking so he can use it in the summer as well...

I'd like to see a picture of that.

NY_Dutch said:
He's talked about adding an outboard motor mount and some decking so he can use it in the summer as well...
Here in the Midwest, we call that a Redneck Houseboat  ;D ;D 

ps: they are topheavy and it doesn't work  ::)

SpencerPJ said:
Here in the Midwest, we call that a Redneck Houseboat  ;D ;D 

ps: they are topheavy and it doesn't work  ::)

The TT sits between the pontoons, so I suspect it would be pretty stable. If he wanted to tow it down the road, he'd need an over wide permit... :)

Back
Top Bottom