Camping at Home -- Another use for our new RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

Since the kids left home in the early 90s, we've converted their spaces into other uses, without enough left over for a guest room.  In the past few years, that has meant that our daughter and her husband would have to settle for the couch's fold out bed (not very comfortable) with the grand-kids on the floor.

With our new 5er, we have more sleeping room.  Were letting them use the house and we are now "camping" at home!

With the visitors, the house is more of a mess than we're used to, but we can "retreat" to a nice space that is not in disarray when we go to bed.

With two short trips and last night, we now have 5 nights in the trailer.  However, we're less than two months from our first major trip.  We've got a six week trip planned down to South Texas and then back home. (tentative route)

Mike,
Looks like a nice trip! I think your smart to spend time in the rig beforehand. That'll give you a chance to try out everything and fix anything that requires fixing. Much cheaper and less stressful to do it from home base rather than on the road. Have a great trip :)

Karl,

Thanks!

Actually, after hearing some of the stories on this and other forums, I've been a little amazed that there has been so little needing to be fixed -- and nothing that needed to be taken to the dealer.

Mostly its been just a few small adjustments. 

Still, I anticipate that there may be some more things that appear while we are on the road, so my wish list for Christmas includes tools for the RV -- and Karen knows that if I don't get them for Christmas, I'll probably buy them in January before we hit the road.  ;)

Our guests usually sleep in the RV and we keep the house. The RV has power, hot water, cable tv, etc. so they aren't exactly getting second class accomodations.  Non-Rvers get a kick out of "camping" and we get a chance to pick up the house a bit, maybe do some prep for the next day, etc.  And its great for both hosts and guests to get a break from each other for awhile.

Mike in Arkansas said:
Were letting them use the house and we are now "camping" at home!

That's what my parents used to do when they had visitors. OTOH our hospitality doesn't extend quite that far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom