Camping World tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

Tip: Items are many times cheaper online, than in the stores.

I went down to my CW today to pick up a few items.  It's a good 30 mile drive for me, but they had some items on sale I needed anyway.  One of the items was an electrical surge protector, and the lady said even if it fried due to bad power at a CG it would be replaced.  So, I went ahead and purchased it, only to find out it has to be registered online. 

When I went to CW online I found the exact same item $50 cheaper, for a total of $99 off online only!  Then that warranty was $5 cheaper online only as well.

*** Note to self, check the online price before making a run to CW to make a purchase from a sale circular.  ***

I purchased my Honda 2000 while in Laughlin, NV about a year or so ago. There are no CW's in the area so I checked prices at local stores - and the cheapest was around $1200. It was then I discovered CW had it on sale if purchased on line for $900 with free shipping. It only took about 5 business days to arrive shipped to the Riverside Hotel receiving dock.

Thanks for the tip!

CW is a 50 mile round trip for me, so I don't go there much but I do like their selection.  I had no idea there would be such a price difference getting things online. 

It all depends what you are looking for, and how long do you want to wait for it.  Toilet paper is cheaper in the grocery store, but more expensive in 7-11.  When you run out and there is a 7-11 next store price does not seem too bad......

I have a CW 4 miles from my house so it's quick and convenient when I need it.  They have no problem matching their online pricing in the store as long as I bring a printed copy of the online item showing the item number and price.

Totally agree...our Camping World is 1-1/2 hours away.  It is fun to go an browse on occasion but their online price for the grill we bought was better....we ended up getting the exact same make and model from amazon though and saved another $50. 

I have never had that experience being a trailer puller.  But a friend was down in Key West or close to it.  He had a motorhome with a car in tow.  There was a "Y" in the road and he didn't like the look of the right road so he took the left one...bad choice!!  This got narrow and turned into a deadend alley.  He got out to unhook and some big, he assumed crazy, guy came out with a hammer and proceeded to bust the tail lights on the car and motorhome.  My friend said he stood back until the guy was done and left, then he unhooked and got out of there.  That is a true story......now for some humor:

Always take the "Right" road...ya hear!!

RVfixer said:
He got out to unhook and some big, he assumed crazy, guy came out with a hammer and proceeded to bust the tail lights on the car and motorhome.  My friend said he stood back until the guy was done and left, then he unhooked and got out of there.  That is a true story......now for some humor:

Always take the "Right" road...ya hear!!

This big, crazy dude would have gotten one less than polite warning to back away from my RV.  Had he refused, he'd have quickly discovered that a hammer is really an inadequate weapon for a multitude of reasons.  I'd ensure that the use of force was defensible.

Camping World has one thing really going for them at their stores.....selection, and a (generally) well stocked parts dept with folks who know what they're talking about.  This can be a very good thing when you're away from home and are in a pinch.  Without a time or distance constraint, sounds like online ordering is the way to go. 

Update;

I wrote there CS department at CW about the price difference and my frustration with it, and this is the reply I received from them.  :

We are sorry to hear of the difficulties you recently encountered during your visit to our Fort Worth location. Your feedback is appreciated and your frustration is certainly understood. If you will please provide us with your mailing address, we would be happy to send you a merchandise certificate for the difference between the price you were charged for the Surgeguard at the store and the price advertise on our Internet site. The certificate may be redeemed for merchandise at any of our retail locations or it may be mailed in along with an order to our Catalog Order Department.

I sent them my address.  This was more than anything I expected.  I thought the reply would be something like we have a lower overhead when we ship it out than we do at our stores.  Or something on that order.  Nothing like getting a certificate for the price difference.  That's much appreciated, and makes one feel like they really do care.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Update;

I wrote there CS department at CW about the price difference and my frustration with it, and this is the reply I received from them.  :

We are sorry to hear of the difficulties you recently encountered during your visit to our Fort Worth location. Your feedback is appreciated and your frustration is certainly understood. If you will please provide us with your mailing address, we would be happy to send you a merchandise certificate for the difference between the price you were charged for the Surgeguard at the store and the price advertise on our Internet site. The certificate may be redeemed for merchandise at any of our retail locations or it may be mailed in along with an order to our Catalog Order Department.

I sent them my address.  This was more than anything I expected.  I thought the reply would be something like we have a lower overhead when we ship it out than we do at our stores.  Or something on that order.  Nothing like getting a certificate for the price difference.  That's much appreciated, and makes one feel like they really do care.

Good resolution.  Sounds like they stepped up.  :)

Was in Camping World in Boise Idaho today and they were packed. Every sales cubicle had a customer in it.

And pulling in was hard with many RV's in the driveway so something must be "right" with CW?

I like many went in for a very specific item and got the price match.

Retailers across every category and market have to face the eventual competition especially in reference to price with online stores. However, that said there are many retailers who dabble in both worlds very successfully. I have a client that sells very competitively from his brick and mortar store yet kicks up the price through his online venues, selling mostly to consumers who are not traditional or shoppers familiar with the wares but want to purchase them for themselves or for gifts with minimal hassles. Most of us shop the store on Main Street to look at products then go online to find a cheaper price. Either way, you have to be an educated consumer. There are those who don't factor in the time and gas needed to drive a distance to save on the price, but in reality they spent more in fuel than they saved thus the cost was the same or more.

Just received a on line sale from CW, and it said free shipping, well being a Good Sam member did not really affect me.  They had the step stool on sale.  Well there was a $9.00 shipping charge, because it was either over sized or heavy.  What do they not understand about free shipping?  Still looking for a step. (with free shipping).

Jim

CW is a 24 mile drive from my house. Anytime I've gone to the store they "always" matched the price on the internet.
Keep in mind that if you're not a GSC member, the price is higher.

I was disappointed when I went to the Tucson store last week (about 55 miles from home.) I didn't notice that one of the items I needed was part of a 4-day sale that had ended the prior day.  And, besides, the sales price was posted next to the item as I walked into the store.  Was surprised with the additional $10 cost, but needed the item so paid.  Then, during same shopping trip decided to pick up a trunk caddy that was listed on sale.  When I got to the register it rang up higher priced and the clerk said I'd picked up a different SKU.  You need a magnifying glass to read the SKU on the labels, but I will bring one in if that's what I need to do next time.

My renewal of GS/CW membership is always when I pass through the line and am told my membership has expired. Several days ago I stopped at the Rocklin, CA store and was told my membership was past due - so I paid for a year as part of the sale (I needed a water line fitting).

Anyway, the clerk gave me a one night free at any GS park voucher. It is good for up $25 dollars - which is the cost of an annual membership.

All in all, I have been very pleased with the joining of GS and CW - especially since I hardly receive any junk mail any more. Which was the reason I dropped out of GS years ago. I "do" like having a valid GS card as most parks I stay in give that discount.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am312
Back
Top Bottom