Can I walk on the roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrisMI

Hello
I need to perform some maintenance on the roof of our 2011 Autumn Ridge. Do you guys know if it's safe to walk on the roof? I need to replace some caulking around the AC unit and other openings.

Well, it depends. I recommend getting some cheap kneepads from Home depot and crawl around on your roof. Some roofs can tolerate the weight of a person walking on them. My Winnie has a solid cap roof, and I can get away with it.
But some RV roofs are relatively thin plywood with a plastic sheet over it, and can be damaged very easily.
Refer to your owners manual before getting up there and walking around.
The more widely you distribute your weight, the better.
Wear soft shoes, or even take shoes off while up there.

And, crawling around also keeps you from getting blown off by any sudden gusts of wind, too.
That's another lesson I learned the hard way. ;)

I will try the plywood trick and see how it works. Should I remove the old silicone around AC unit and other openings and apply fresh one? Or just apply on top of the old one? It seems the previous owner put heck of a caulk around all the items on the roof.

Hopefully, it's not silicon. I redo my roof every year or two. I always use the Dicor (501 LSW-1) self leveling sealant. Minor cracks, I just remove the loose stuff and clean with alcohol, toothbrush and a rag. I then apply the sealant on top of the old stuff. On bigger jobs, I just remove as much as I can to get to where the water has penetrated under the sealant. There is usually dirt in there so I make sure that is clean before reapplying.

I walk on my roof, but I do have a few soft spots that I have to worry about. The plywood idea is a good one.

I've seen trailer roofs I'd not wish to walk on but on my Motor home and most larger trailers.
I walked all over mine 2x a year if not more often.. one day I was working on an A/C with another gent. He's as big. if not bigger than my 300 pounds.

Hopefully, it's not silicon. I redo my roof every year or two. I always use the Dicor (501 LSW-1) self leveling sealant. Minor cracks, I just remove the loose stuff and clean with alcohol, toothbrush and a rag. I then apply the sealant on top of the old stuff. On bigger jobs, I just remove as much as I can to get to where the water has penetrated under the sealant. There is usually dirt in there so I make sure that is clean before reapplying.
I hope so too. It seems the stuff is thick and hard so probably some kind of caulking. I haven't done maintenance on the roof for 2 years now. Need to get up there and make sure everything is still good.

I will try the plywood trick and see how it works.
Part of the question is your weight. Most RV roofs will tolerate walking by the typical man but there are weight limits.
Should I remove the old silicone around AC unit and other openings and apply fresh one?
If there is a lot of caulking you do need to remove the old stuff and start all over. And don't ever use silicone as it will make for problems down the road. Use a quality, self leveling caulking that is compatible with the material your roof is made of.

I don't know if your roof is walkable or not. I've had campers in both categories. If you have a ladder attached, then you are about 99% certain you can. If you do not have a ladder attached, you can be about 99% certain you don't know. So, the best answer is, if you do not have a factory attached ladder ... the answer is "no."

About calking? If silicone was used, yes remove it. If it is Dicor, then do as Pedro Dog instructed (above). Removing old calking can cause more damage to your roof than simply leaving the old and just cleaning out the cracks and re-applying directly on top of the old, cracked area.

Never, ever use a metal putty knife. If you need to use any kind of putty knife, use a wooden Shem or a plastic putty knife, or a kitchen spatula (a non metal one).

Reactions: SMR
There is nothing around your A/C to caulk. It has a square dense foam rubber seal to the roof and that is it. Dicor self leveling probably works best on roof surfaces.

Please do not use Home Depot silicone on the roof. Buy the correct product for the job. Dicor 501LSW-1 Self-Leveling Lap Sealant, 4 Pack

I cover the area with a Harbor Freight moving quilt, to protect the EDPM or TPO or fiberglass and then a section of 3/8 or so plywood to spread the load out.

Here is a view from the scissor lift of how I protected the roof prior to installing the Micro Air soft start box on my A/C.
Second pic is what a roof looks like on a typical trailer, when opened up. The two double trusses are at the rear of the trailer, the remainder of them are single trusses, with 3/8 plywood spanning the 2 ft gap between them. Do you feel safe standing on unsupported 3/8 plywood or less?
Big pic is after new roof was installed and sealing it. Roof protected the same way with quilts and plywood.

1678204713257.png

Attachments

• Micro-Air-1-initial-set-up-to-protect-roof.jpg
    Micro-Air-1-initial-set-up-to-protect-roof.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Rubber membrane sistered many of the trusses for added strength.jpg
    Rubber membrane sistered many of the trusses for added strength.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The roof we have is walkable up to bodyweight of 300lbs. (Grand Design Reflection) Listed in the manual. A friend has a Keystone passport that is not walkable. They use 3” thick solid foam insulations squares to help spread out the weight while kneeling or lying on it.

In this video he makes some comments about sealants on roofs. It will start a few seconds before the comments on sealant types and uses, and you will want to listen to what he has to say, about various sealants.

Charles

As to the question of 'walking' on the roof. Not unless your TT says it has a 'walkable roof'. The idea of putting down a sheet of plywood is a good idea. Just be careful when moving it around up there you don't gouge a hole in the skin with the corner of the sheet.

Forget caulking every few years and use Eternabond tape that lasts for 20 years.

Okay, you have enough answers to the walking on the roof. Let's address a different issue. Please expound upon "caulking around the AC unit." I have replaced both my AC units and understand that there should be no caulking around the AC unit. There is a foam or rubber gasket that gets compressed when the 4 longs screws from the under the AC unit (inside the RV) are torqued to specs. Caulk around the AC prevents the condensation runoff, and could block the wholes that are meant for that purpose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken N
Back
Top Bottom