Can RVers stay at truck stops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most interesting since I've watch their restaurant advertising, but then there's none in my region of the US per the map. That explains why I've never have seen any.
Whattt!! There is no cracker barrel at 4-corners? Seriously, Cracker Barrel parking is a iffy decision today, as more and more cities and towns ban overnighting in business parking lots, due to abuse of the privilege.

Whattt!! There is no cracker barrel at 4-corners? Seriously, Cracker Barrel parking is a iffy decision today, as more and more cities and towns ban overnighting in business parking lots, due to abuse of the privilege.

Same goes for BLM land. $15 to camp.

Utahraptor State Park - Google Search

... Cracker Barrel parking is a iffy decision today, as more and more cities and towns ban overnighting in business parking lots, due to abuse of the privilege.
The parking bans are why my first choice for ONS is Sam's club (a thing about privileges extended to members which was once explained to me, in detail by a Sam's Club store manager, in a city that banned overnight parking). I've only been told by one SC that parking wasn't allowed (tiny lot that was hard to get into - but I was told parking was allowed at the neighbouring WM). Two other SC's did not recommend anyone stay in their lots overnight. All three of the stores are in Albuquerque. I have a daughter who lives in ABQ and I live close enough to it that I have no intention of ever trying to spend the night in any ABQ parking lot. It's just not safe. My second choice is Cracker Barrel, where I have never been refused. I always have 3 choices for ONS when traveling... #1 choice, #2 choice and my last ditch choice. My last choice is a Wal-Mart or a truck stop. I had a really bad experience in a New Braunfels Wal-Mart. That's not to say I won't stay in one. When our truck broke down coming back out west on I-20. We managed to limp off the interstate (at 45mph - our top speed) into a Wal-Mart. Was I grateful? Yeppers. Bought more transmission fluid and a frozen pizza to bake for supper. When we went to sleep there was no one near us. When we woke up the next morning, we were surrounded by semi-trucks and one other camper. Filled the transmission back up and limped along on back roads until we hit a town where we had resources.

During our cross-country trip last Spring/Summer, we stayed a several Walmarts that had signs posted No Overnight Parking. We went into the store to the customer service counter and asked permission to stay overnight. We were never denied, all of the CSR folks were helpful and friendly. To use this was really surprising at a Walmart in very trendy and toney Park City Utah where the lot was somewhat small but we fit perfectly into a curved out spot at the top of the lot. By morning there were 4 or 5 other campers nearby.

What we learned was if a Walmart was our destination for a night's rest, as determined by the navigator in my signature, my DW would call the store in advance and ask permission. She always got the name of the person she spoke to in case someone, police or store personnel asked about our stay.

There is a Walmart less than two miles from our home in Western NY. At the main entrance, there is a sign No Overnight Parking, yet often we will see semis and RVs parked there.

I am no lawyer, but I don't think local municipalities can tell Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, Lowes, and the like what they can allow on their private property, hence the sign No Parking but the stores tell you go ahead, use the edges or most common, by the garden center.

I am no lawyer, but I don't think local municipalities can tell Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, Lowes, and the like what they can allow on their private property, hence the sign No Parking but the stores tell you go ahead, use the edges or most common, by the garden center.
So then it would stand to reason if the municipality can't pass an ordinance prohibiting overnight parking on private property, if you're mugged or worse on that same private property it's out of their jurisdiction, your problem and so don't call us?

So then it would stand to reason if the municipality can't pass an ordinance prohibiting overnight parking on private property, if you're mugged or worse on that same private property it's out of their jurisdiction, your problem and so don't call us?
A city or municipality can pass an ordinance that you cannot keep farm animals on your property within city limits. I doubt the police will show up and arrest you on a fowl accusation. But I would posit if a crime was being/has been committed on private property the police will respond.

No overnight parking might be for a different reason in regions where it snows a lot. This sign is at the entrance to City Market in Woodland Park, Colorado. Elevation 8,500 feet. Based on the average Woodland Park snowfall season, only July and August don't have any snow historically. You might have an argument about being towed for snow removal just 2 months out of a year.

20230320_135012.jpg

Last edited:
In many municipalities with no overnight sleeping in vehicles ordinances, the police do not enforce it on private property unless a complaint is made by the property management.

I believe a retailer has the right to determine how long they allow "parking" in their already zoned parking lot. I don't believe local ordinances can time limit "parking" on private lots, that is for the property owner to determine. Now, if you are talking about "camping overnight", I believe now you have a whole different conversation.

We have stayed at lots of TA’s or Flying J’s or other travel centres etc but can’t say we have ever stayed at a truck stop…or even seen one to be honest. Which provinces or states are they common in?

We have stayed at lots of TA’s or Flying J’s or other travel centres etc but can’t say we have ever stayed at a truck stop…or even seen one to be honest. Which provinces or states are they common in?
Those are trucks stops. The travel center designation is (relatively) recent, and I suppose it came with the increased focus on travelers who are not truckers, hoping to appeal to tourists. But they are still truck stops in the old sense of the term. So they're everywhere.

Those signs are a "CYA" item. They are put up to act as a pre-notification that allows the management to call law enforcement to remove people who become a nuisance without them being required to make personal contact with the offenders to inform them before doing so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom