Can't fill propane tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Went to the gas company today to get a fillup and propane would not go into the tank. Anyone ever had this problem. I'm about sure the valve that stops filling at 80% is stuck. Anyone ever pulled one out to check, is it a part of the fill port. On Amazon all I can find is the fill adaptor only, no float. A part number would be great. I just don't want to start taking the tank apart without knowing more. can it be pulled out and freed up.
BTW it's a frame mounted, I think about 20 gal.

Attachments

• MH propane gas tank.jpg
    MH propane gas tank.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18
Had it happen, once. Went to a different station, no problem. I think the person operating the fill station was clueless?
Only once? It happens to me almost half the time. At least one gas station told me in advance they didn't have to correct adapter. But most have no clue at all and have no idea why they cannot get it to fill my tanks.

So now I have my own adapter, but I have not yet had to use it. Figures.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Strange, cause the place that couldn't fill it was an RV service garage. Like I mentioned, a clueless tech. He probably had the adapter in the cabinet and didn't know to use it.

Happened to me once as well. When the Pump jockey pulled the hose out of the cabinet he snagged the cable to the emergency valve and killed the pump.

The Distributor I wound up at.. Cheaper gas.

Went to the gas company today to get a fillup and propane would not go into the tank. Anyone ever had this problem.
First, if you are at a propane distributor and not a reseller, then I would find it very unusual for the problem to have been the lack of an adapter. Possible, but unlikely. Maybe if you were at a propane reseller?

I have not personally had that problem but I did once know someone who did have a problem with the float-valve that failed and I think that it was replaced. The only thing that I am certain of is that the work was done by a Ferrell Gas shop.

I haven't run into an RV refiller that didn't have the proper adapter yet, but I do have one on board just in case. More often, I've had gaskets "stolen" when they stuck to the refill adapter without the attendant noticing. I carry a supply of spares in a plastic case attached to my regulator cover. I did run into a refiller that couldn't fill my tank at first, and then he noticed that there was an extra gasket on the adapter that prevented the internal valve from opening.

While the no-adapter thing might happen, it probably doesn't apply here if the shop is RV-experienced. In my experience the OPD float can get stuck - I've had it happen with a portable (DOT) bottle but not a fixed ASME tank. A smart rap with a wood or rubber mallet might be enough to jar it loose. I would also try another re-filler before deciding to disassemble anything. Remember that tank is under huge pressure inside, even though almost empty. Think in terms of 300 psi.

Your fill valve probably looks like this: V13414 Manchester Tank Propane Tank Valve For Use With Manchester Tank

I haven't run into an RV refiller that didn't have the proper adapter yet, but I do have one on board just in case. More often, I've had gaskets "stolen" when they stuck to the refill adapter without the attendant noticing. I carry a supply of spares in a plastic case attached to my regulator cover. I did run into a refiller that couldn't fill my tank at first, and then he noticed that there was an extra gasket on the adapter that prevented the internal valve from opening.
Will you post a pic of what the adapter looks like? Thanks

On our propane dispenser, the hose terminates in an ASCME adapter that fits every motorhome we've come across except a Mercedes based Class B that came in yesterday. It would screw onto the tank fitting but it seemed like the threaded cap bottomed out before the inner piece seated against the tank so the connection stayed loose and simply leaked when we pressurized the hose instead of letting propane flow into the tank. Not sure what the problem was.

On our propane dispenser, the hose terminates in an ASCME adapter that fits every motorhome we've come across except a Mercedes based Class B that came in yesterday. It would screw onto the tank fitting but it seemed like the threaded cap bottomed out before the inner piece seated against the tank so the connection stayed loose and simply leaked when we pressurized the hose instead of letting propane flow into the tank. Not sure what the problem was.
IIRC, I have seen that problem once when they tried to fill my Y2K RV at the gas station north of OPCNM, AZ. It was an easy fix, but not all that obvious. Had to loosen the hose at the tank and push it out then in and NOT screw it all the way or something like that. It was several years ago, so perhaps I don't remember exactly.

It was a couple of gals who tried to fill my propane tank and couldn't figure it out. I ended up being the one to figure out the problem and then got my tank filled up with no problem.

Whatever the exact issue was, I have only seen that happen that one time but it was an easy fix.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Cutaway pic of a frame mounted ASME tank like used on a Class A or Class C.
Nice picture, but item #4 is mis-identified as a "Vapor pressure relief valve", which is incorrect. The little valve is actually part of the "Fixed Liquid Level Gauge" that's used to determine when the tank is filled to the maximum 80% of the water capacity when the escaping vapor turns to liquid. It serves no "pressure relief" purpose. Item #2 is the only pressure relief valve on the tank.

The problem with that Mercedes tank sounds like the ACME fill valve rubber gasket was missing.

Nice picture, but item #4 is mis-identified as a "Vapor pressure relief valve", which is incorrect. The little valve is actually part of the "Fixed Liquid Level Gauge" that's used to determine when the tank is filled to the maximum 80% of the water capacity when the escaping vapor turns to liquid. It serves no "pressure relief" purpose. Item #2 is the only pressure relief valve on the tank.
Doing a little research I found it is commonly called a spitter valve, so I edited the pic and changed it out in post #16 above.

While I didn't say "used to determine 80% water capacity"..... well I only have so much room and saying it is used by the service person to determine the tank is "full" is technically correct. It needs to be explained from the owners prospective, they don't care about 80% etc, they just want it FULL. Not sure what led me to call it a pressure relief other than the fact it does bleed off vapor (somewhat) as you fill, the point is, it spits when full. THIS seems to explain it rather clearly.

I think the pic was originally posted on this forum, and I took it and annotated it.

Charles

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom