Car Dolly Axle Safety Chains Length ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skipper

Will install axle safety chains on my Master Tow car dolly (swivel wheel pan.) I tow a VW Passat or Ford Ranger truck. Need to know what length to cut the chains. I read 24-36 inches. Your input Is most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just found Kar Kaddy length is 36". I'll go with that.

Feel free to share your experiences regarding this post.

Last edited:
Remember to cross the chains ( I would go with coiled cables) when attached. This forms a cradle to catch the tongue if separation occurs.

Are these safety chains for the vehicle being towed or is this for the dolly ball and hitch safety chains?

The chains are now attached to the swivel pan and will wrap around the front wheel axles to prevent vehicle from going off the Dolly in the event of strap failure.

I had no idea that the dolly was sold without installed safety chains. I bought mine used but always assumed the platform chains were factory installed. It almost would seem illegal to not have those on the the dolly before a factory sale.

The length and mounting locations of the chain can vary based on the vehicle being towed. It is best to have 2 chains on each side with mounting points front and back. A crossing pattern to connect each set should be used.

The most important thing to remember is that the chains must keep the vehicle on the dolly without straps. If this is accomplished, chances are you will have a good safety chain design.

Each vehicle is different and will require a unique set up however there are some generic safety chain designs that will work on most vehicles.

My suggestion is to set it up for your specific vehicle for best results.

I have a KarKaddySS and wrap the chains around the steering arms with plenty of extra chain. Forgot to undo them one time and they prevented me from reversing the car off the ramps. One issue I have is that the chains should have been a bit wider between the links. Very tight when connecting to the "quick release" hooks. Till they were broken in a bit I needed a pair of vise grips to get them off the hook. Make sure to leave some slack for the suspension bounce.

Back
Top Bottom