Carl's Welsh ancestry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
Tom said:
LOL David, I can see you have my sense of humour. There are worse places than St. Athens; It could have been RAF Anglesey? ;D

Watch that sort of stuff!  Anglesey is where my folks came from way back when.

Carl Lundquist said:
Anglesey is where my folks came from way back when.

That's about as far as the invaders from Scandinavia got into Wales, not any further south. Apart from a few such breaches, Wales was homogenous, unlike England who's folks were cross-bred pretty good. (They don't call them Anglo Saxon for nowt yer knows).

The Scandahoovian ancestors got no nearer to Wales than the steamer route from Bremerhaven to NYC.  On the other hand my Taff ancestors, a bunch of Davises, lived on the bloody island.

Regards,

Carl Lundquist ap Davis

Don't have to believe me.  My uncle did the research.  How could you not believe a man named David Davis?

Carl Lundquist said:
How could you not believe a man named David Davis?

Well, how about the fact that the surname isn't normally spelled that way in Wales.  If you want to be really picky, neither is the first (given) name. They're both spelled the way that Anglo Saxons spell them  :(  But, there are others in Wales who spell their names incorrectly also.

Well those poor Taffs landed here in 1710 and were immediately up to their ears in Anglo Saxons and Iroquois.  Can't blame them for getting the spelling confused what with redcoat musket balls and redskin arrows fliying around.

LOL Carl. In some cases names were changed on the boat or at Ellis island, based on what the other person heard. A very Taff name is Llewelyn which, for the non-Welsh speaker, is almost impossible to pronounce. Since that "ll" sound doesn't exist in either kind of English, it was sometimes mistakenly written as Flewelyn because that's what the other person thought they heard.

BTW does this discussion mean we're related?  ;D

Tom said:
LOL Carl. In some cases names were changed on the boat or at Ellis island, based on what the other person heard. A very Taff name is Llewelyn which, for the non-Welsh speaker, is almost impossible to pronounce. Since that "ll" sound doesn't exist in either kind of English, it was sometimes mistakenly written as Flewelyn because that's what the other person thought they heard.

BTW does this discussion mean we're related?? ;D

Actually it is pretty good odds that spelling or even writing was the old boys long suit.  Back in those days, Ellis Island as an entry station was not even a glimmer in someone's.  You entered America where ever the skipper decided to dump you after your cash ran out. 

Related?  Pretty tenuously I suspect.  All four brothers got the hell out of Wales in 1710.  Don't think anyone was left behind.

Back
Top Bottom