Carving wood signs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkunk

I'm a cabinetmaker, but bought a small CNC carving machine for fun.  I've been making custom signs for people and the demand has blossomed to where I'm thinking of bringing it with me when I travel.

Attachments

• DSCN6562.JPG
    DSCN6562.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Freedom .jpeg
    Freedom .jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 127
Some more.....

Attachments

• 4signs.jpg
    4signs.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Boros sign.JPG
    Boros sign.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN6006.JPG
    DSCN6006.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN6351.JPG
    DSCN6351.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 103
  • DragonsLair.JPG
    DragonsLair.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 85
They sure are well done.  Are you thinking about setting up near large flea markets and having a booth where you produce and sell them?

I bought one of these types of signs from an eBay seller a year or two ago, has our family name and "est. 1999" for our year of marriage.  I got to customize it completely with a selected border and other designs.  I love it!

How much did the carving machine cost?

I heard if you run a small business out of your RV that qualifies you to use your RV as a tax write off! Any comments on the subject?

Scott

Scott-0168 said:
I heard if you run a small business out of your RV that qualifies you to use your RV as a tax write off! Any comments on the subject?

I would imagine that's true, as long as you have documentation to support the business use.  My wife has a small business out of our home, and I deduct the applicable portion of our house that she uses (square footage percentage wise) each year as a business expense.

Scott-0168 said:

Scott

A couple:

A tax write off isn't all it's cracked up to be. First, say you are in the 25% tax bracket. You write off $100 and you save $25 in taxes. Not peanuts, but you are still out of pocket $75. If you are retired and probably in an even lower tax bracket, the benefit gets smaller.

Next you have to declare all your income and show that you are running (or are intending to run) a profit making business from which you will be paying taxes on the profits. You also open yourself up for IRS audits since those types of deductions are more prone to fraud. You also have to maintain a pretty good set of books.

Is it all worth it? Your decision.

All that said, yes, if the RV is used in your business, business expenses of the RV can be deducted.

What kind of prices are you talking for say a us map 23x18? No need for AK or HI can't drive to the one the other just to far at current time.

Conquest aka Robert said:
What kind of prices are you talking for say a us map 23x18? No need for AK or HI can't drive to the one the other just to far at current time.

Please reserve any "business" talk for PM or e-mail.  Thanks ;)

I've entertained no thoughts of starting a business.  This is just a hobby machine.  We're not allowed to sell through the forum.  The machine is a Carvewright? and costs about $1800.
I am one of the early Beta testers of the machine which has been on the market for about 6 years.  I'm also a Moderator of their forum and more info on the machine can be found at http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/index.php.    It is a fun machine and my only connection to the company through the forum, not sales.

Sorry. I followed the link AWESOME machine. How long does it take to actually make a sign like the eagle.  That would determine doing it at a flea market folks won't want to have to wait a long time.

Carving time on that at about 12x18 would be a little over an hour.  It's the de-nubbing and painting that takes the time.  Lots of people like to finish them themselves.

FWIW it does seem like that would be a useful machine to have at campgrounds, offering a sign making service... provided that the campground allowed it.  You might want to call around or visit CG's in your area and (with permission) make some cards or flyers for them to hand out.  You could provide the CG a custom wooden sign in exchange for their referrals.  I've had 3 of those types of signs made, one I mentioned for camping, one for my sister & family, and one for the entrance to my wife's home business.  They are all top notch and really attractive, a nice blend of custom woodwork and modern design/graphics.

Some of the MH projects.  Carved wood valences.  Campsite sign.  Clock & sun.

Attachments

• DSCN7126 copy.JPG
    DSCN7126 copy.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN7252 copy.JPG
    DSCN7252 copy.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN7245 copy.JPG
    DSCN7245 copy.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN7609.jpg
    DSCN7609.jpg